Question synchronizing servers

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here and I just wanted to say hi before I dove into the heart of my issue. Also, you should know a little about me. I am a hobbyist. I've been an avid follower of the web for about 8 years. I excel in html, graphic design, css, perl and php. I'm not trying to start a business or anything. I am doing this for the fun of it. I have set up an apache 2.0 server with mysql 4.0 and php 4.3. I don't even have a dns server setup or a static ip yet. But I'm getting two in the next week or so in two different locations. One at my place and one at my parents'.

Heres the meat of the issue. I want to have two servers for redundancy. I don't know how to synchronize the two servers dynamically so that as soon as one's files or folders change it fixes it on the other server. Since this is a hobby and not a for profit venture, I'd rather do it the cheap hard way than the expensive easy way if you get my drift. I learn more that way, which is really what I'm after.

The best way to go depends on if you truely need to synchronize the WHOLE server or just certain content. rsync and NFS mounts are popular ways to syncronize. With rsync, you would generally have some delays in syncrhonization while with NFS mounts, you see changes on both servers instantly (only problem is, your data would exist only on one actual disk and it would get mounted remotely. You can then copy files from it to a local partition, but there would still be some type of delay). There are plenty of rsync and NFS tutorials out there waiting for you at http://google.com.
    H4Y Technologies LLC Check out our new website!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VDS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

ZERO PACKETLOSS, ZERO DOWNTIME Dedicated and Colo - USA: IA, CA, NC, OR, NV
    **http://h4y.us**
    Voice: (866)435-5642. *** Email: askus at host4yourself d0t com

Having them in different locations is going to be one of your problems. Sending files from one to the other is probably going to saturate one of the connections for some time.

Might be worth either colo one of the machine for budget, or get a budget dedicated. Either could be found starting around $60, probably not much more than your paying for your residential connection. Just make sure you back it up, expecially if you go the budget dedicated route.

I know I spend more than $60/mo on my hobby (r/c planes), and I think you'll get a much better service for a lot less than doing it at home.
    managedway
    WE BUILD CLOUDS

Cloud Computing | Fiber Optic Internet | Colocation

Originally posted by rsanders
    Having them in different locations is going to be one of your problems. Sending files from one to the other is probably going to saturate one of the connections for some time.

Might be worth either colo one of the machine for budget, or get a budget dedicated. Either could be found starting around $60, probably not much more than your paying for your residential connection. Just make sure you back it up, expecially if you go the budget dedicated route.

I know I spend more than $60/mo on my hobby (r/c planes), and I think you'll get a much better service for a lot less than doing it at home.
    But part of the fun in your hobby is being able to touch the planes and see the planes with your own eyes. I think punzak enjoys the "do it yourself" feeling, which is diminished a little when you send your machines out to colo. It would be like keeping the remote to your r/c plane, but sending it to China and having it send back it's coordinates through an SSH session
    H4Y Technologies LLC Check out our new website!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VDS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

ZERO PACKETLOSS, ZERO DOWNTIME Dedicated and Colo - USA: IA, CA, NC, OR, NV
    **http://h4y.us**
    Voice: (866)435-5642. *** Email: askus at host4yourself d0t com

Well, coordinating it over ssh really wouldn't be that hard. Dealing with limited bandwidth is just a PITA IMHO

Doing this would be more like trying to fly a plane with a engine that's too small and a broken antenna. I would just wait until I could buy the right parts for the job.

I've ran servers at my house long ago, it was 'fun' but nothing like my first colo. It was my machine, far far away. That was exciting, exciting enough to start doing it professionally for others.

But lets not sit and nit pick my _opinion_ and let someone else pitch in.
    managedway
    WE BUILD CLOUDS

Cloud Computing | Fiber Optic Internet | Colocation