Thumbs down Stay away from just-hosting.com

I signed up with this company about a year ago and everything was fine; no phone support but the emailing was o.k.. Now, suddenly a few security 'issues' were logged on their user area notice board and everything has gone completely haywire.

My site has been down periodically over the past couple weeks and now it has been down all day! We are running a business here and this guy Chris Cowling and his whole staff seem to have fallen off the map. At least six support messages have gone unanswered. There is not even a stupid automated email response.

I am venturing a guess that his own files are also affected, because areas of their own site are down when mine are. I guess there is some small victory in that. Irony is that my friends that I referred to this hosting are having no problems at all. I suggested that they just move my site (and there own ) to these other servers, but heard nothing in return.

Do not even think of joining this guys service. He is a coward and when things have gotten hairy he crawled in his hole to hide. I have received better customer service at <insert least favorite retail chain store here>. Others are also having issues with this service. Do a search and see for yourself.

I signed up with lunarpages and can just barely see these bastards from my rear view mirror. I hope they can see the single finger I have erected to the sky on their behalf.

Cowling....Chirs Cowling...can you hear your customers calling....echo...echo...echo...you have a responsibility to your customers......echo....we won't hurt you....echo...echo....just stick up your head and keep it real still...

Au revoir,
    Gofaire

Sounds like he may be a high schooler to me.

* Not a high schooler, just pissed off

Sorry if my ranting and attempt at laughter to heal my pain gave the impression that I am anything less than a 34 year old PhD.

Yes that is right! Even smart people can be funny! Nothing worse though than having someone reply to your rage with another insult. I have seen today's high schooler's, and although YOU may be one, I do find it insulting to be called one of these airheaded, skateboarding, pot dragging, boneheads.

So much for if you haven't got anything nice to say. Wow I think this is therapeutic!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhh.....

I believe he was referring to this "Chris" as to being a high schooler, not calling you one.

Someone who's so smart doesn't read and interprit (sp) very well.

* Spelling?

I thought we were suppose to spell things incorrectly on this forum. Seemed to be the norm and as they say...when in Rome...

This guy Chris is actually 22, at least he can drink his sorrows away as all his customers run for greener pastures.

How did I find out? He was stupid enough to list his b-day on his profile. This is like the brat at racknine.com showing us his pimply grill on the page with his message from the president.

Let me announce something to these kids running these backroom 'discount' webhosting companies...get it right or get out. Bad is bad and if you are making money now it won't last. Ask good old Chris...I'm sure he is losing income as we speak.

Ronald McDonald is calling...go flip a burger.

Re: Not a high schooler, just pissed off

Originally posted by danthemanny
    Sorry if my ranting and attempt at laughter to heal my pain gave the impression that I am anything less than a 34 year old PhD.

Yes that is right! Even smart people can be funny! Nothing worse though than having someone reply to your rage with another insult. I have seen today's high schooler's, and although YOU may be one, I do find it insulting to be called one of these airheaded, skateboarding, pot dragging, boneheads.

So much for if you haven't got anything nice to say. Wow I think this is therapeutic!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhh.....
    One of the problems with this post is that you sound a little too annoyed to be considered objective. I make it a rule of taking any post with an with a grain of salt. I think I (along with a lot of people here) am (are) going to take you seriously, but we also have a lot of really pissed off people who come on here and make similar posts. (They're also the kind of people who say, "I'm suing over $3.29!!! I'm gonna take this to the supreme court if I have to!!!"; I don't think you're one of them.)

Just for reference, what is your PhD in? I hope it's not in English, otherwise I'm going to drive you crazy.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

Originally posted by seraphex
    I believe he was referring to this "Chris" as to being a high schooler, not calling you one.

Someone who's so smart doesn't read and interprit (sp) very well.
    I think he responded in a relatively adult-like fashion... he may very well be a PhD. Some of the professors I've had are actually worse at spelling than I am.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.

One should always do traceroute before signing up with a host. If the traceroute goes to something like ev1.net or ev1servers (or other provider of dedicated servers), the 99% chance is that this host is leasing a dedicated server(s) and hosting all web sites on it. What is means is that if something goes wrong, they don't have direct access to the servers and there will be troubles upon troubles.

All reputable web hosting companies also have their street address listed on their site. If the contract page only lists contact emails they're hiding the other details for a reason.. So that you can't contact them when their service is in trouble.

Gm22

Originally posted by gm22
    One should always do traceroute before signing up with a host. If the traceroute goes to something like ev1.net or ev1servers (or other provider of dedicated servers), the 99% chance is that this host is leasing a dedicated server(s) and hosting all web sites on it. What is means is that if something goes wrong, they don't have direct access to the servers and there will be troubles upon troubles.

All reputable web hosting companies also have their street address listed on their site. If the contract page only lists contact emails they're hiding the other details for a reason.. So that you can't contact them when their service is in trouble.

Gm22
    If you rule web hosting companies out on that basis, you're taking out around 3/4 of all web hosts... probably at least 1/2 to 2/3 of the hosts on this forum.

It's really tough to have physical access to the servers unless you run your own datacenter, and even then, most DCs don't want to deal with shared or reseller customers.

Phone support often isn't an option for many hosts, since it costs a lot of money to have someone sit at the phone 24/7 unless you outsource phone support to India... (I don't like outsourcing tech support.)

Great follow ups

I must say that I found this forum very helpful in sitting down for a day and selecting a new web host (lunarpages). They were mentioned quite a bit, so I decided to write the tech support on a Sunday afternoon (and after 5pm on West Coast) to see if anyone was home.
    While I don't wish to yet sing their praises, as it has only been 4 hours or so, they responded quickly to my pre-buy questions and even put me on to a way to make a little money by becoming an affiliate and becoming my own first referral (that's $51 dollars in my pocket, Gentlemen).
    I like money. So this was good.
    Sorry to get a little too outrageous earlier. I thought some folks with similar experiences might find it amusing. Not that my story was anyway fabricated. Oh no...it was all too real. Did anyone get the Bill Murray impersonation???

By the way, if you think my spelling is bad...you should see my signature.

PhD is in Molecular Biology....what am I doing in here????

Lame

Re: Spelling?

Originally posted by danthemanny
    How did I find out? He was stupid enough to list his b-day on his profile. This is like the brat at racknine.com showing us his pimply grill on the page with his message from the president.
    Wow, a casual search for your company does bring out some interesting results.

That's pretty low. Granted the picture wasn't great I'm very happy to see you can generalize people and their business based on how they look. I'll just as rightly assume you're underage, insecure, and desperate to make yourself feel better by putting down people whom you've never met.

I'll provide a good response if there's concerns about my company, if you persist in belittling others based on appearance I'd suggest crawling back into the hole you came out of.

-Matt
    Matt Meier, RackNine Inc.
    email: mmeier@racknine.com
    web: http://www.racknine.com

Hi All,

As "danthemanny" has pointed out we did have some major problems with our servers over a period of a week. This effected our main server and 2 other servers leased by us.

Unfortunately since the main server was affected, communications with customers was cut-off for the period it took to fix the issues.

Additional to this in realising there was a problem with our software and that it was vulnerable to previously unforseen problems you will note that the signup section of our page (www.just-hosting.com) has been temporarily stopped whilst maintenance is performed on our entire network of servers to keep this from happening again.

I am saddend that "danthemanny" felt that he needed to personally bash myself when pointing out a problem with the service provided to him. Just-Hosting.Com has a staff of a few and is indeed run by myself a 23 year old graduate (probably about the same age as some of the lawyers, accountants and other professionals you use today).

We do provide 24hr support and at times of crises and no expense or time is spared in working out issues. Some technical difficulties do arise which cut of service side to customer side communication for a period of time until fixed.

All customers who decided to cancel service at the time of the outage were refunded their months charges and were helped in whatever way was possible at the time by the support staff.

Again, we pride ourselves on being a solid hosting company and as such are not taking new customers until we deem the servers to once again be viable for 24hr uptime 365 days a year.

Chris.

Age and spelling mistakes! So many times they have been brought out on this forum, why cant a 14 year older or someone less than 18 run a profitable business? its ashaming to see ages being pointed out, its good at internet you cant find the race and color of a person that easily or somepeople would bring that upto!!!

apologies to Matt at racknine

Matt, I hope you find this response in a search for your company. My statement was entirely out of line in my previous posts and I apologize for generalizing the problems I was having with just-hosting.com to all young entrepreneurs. My home based business was losing some serious money and I just came unglued looking for something or someone to blame. I have happily migrated the website to Lunarpages and have really had a pleasant experience with these folks. I am sure you are a very responsible webhost operator and I hope that you and others in the business can learn from the problems experienced by Chris Cowling at Just-hosting.

Sincerely,
    Daniel

These forums always amaze me as this is why I just have to come here everday Like a junkie needing a fix. Like my wife addicted to soaps.