Datacenter In Planning

I sat down with a friend of mine recently, and we found that we have an ok budget for a DC, now as most of you may remember how foonet was set up, I am planning something similar, but a little more reliable, I have a half height basement, that I will surround with steel fire-walls. There are no windows / doors or anything similar that can allow external access, and the access to it from inside the house will have bolt locks on it.

There is a fiber box across the street from this location, so the set up should cost dramatically less, and I was thinking of buying cage type racks, a couple of routers to allow switching (in case one has to be replaced).

The only problem is the fiber itself, I doubt I can get multiple providers, but the ones that I am planning on getting are also my cable ISP.

Anyone want to add some ideas ?

It sounds to me like the extent of your research thus far as been to determine that there is a fiber box, which may or may not have the right type of termination equipment inside to carry customer circuits, across the street from your house. Do you have any knowledge of routing, BGP, modern DoS filtering technique? Do you understand why foonet was able to filter DoS with a higher degree of success than their competition? How will you avoid the legal troubles foonet got into? Why have you mentioned surrounding your basement with a "steel fire-wall," yet have not considered your power plant or diverse circuit paths?
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

This isn't anything "big" , this is for our own servers at the moment. BGP routing i am taking the time to research right about now, this isn't going up till I am done with a test network, and know every end of it, I have has experience with filtering DDoS , on smaller routers.

The UPS & Generator are already sitting here.

Legal troubles ? This isn't for IRCds, its being incorporated in any case.

Edit: I will hire local experts in routing in any case, so my knowledge of it will be the backup in this case.
    Last edited by e-infinity; 04-25-2004 at 05:49 PM.

I'm curious, how many servers are you planning on housing? If it's a good sized number are you sure the house's power infrastructure can handle it, etc.? What provider has the fiber box across the street? What city are you located in, maybe a DS3 from another provider would be worth it.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

I am thinking of assigning 3-4 mbit per box, since full game servers don't use that much bandwidth, i've seen 1.5 mbps usage max, and i'll have 20-25 1U servers, most likely 100mbit, maybe even twisted pair as it costs less.

I am in Surrey, BC, Canada , and the provider is Telus.com

I think a nice DS3 line will do fine.
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

telus in surrey sucks.. i have 4 guys in surrey that I sponsor that always seem to have ****** pings once a week... though if you do that, let me know.. I'll buy some bw from you. If it fails.. I'll know where you live
    I specialize in neck beards
    Latest: Reach for Android

Sounds like a good idea. I wish I could get a fast connection at my house. Due to location, i'm still on 56k

Slow progress in the hardware end of things,

Argueing with my partner in all of this about what should be done, as I really would hate to co-lo somewhere in Vancouver, as that ensures no immediate access.

I'll update this later on when i'm finally gotten somewhere along the lines of the servers themselves (which I will run for the gaming).

So far, I wont be planning on providing co-lo from day one, as I would hate to do something unreliable in support terms.

Immediate access is not important, so long as you have reliable staff on site (or reliable people who could pretend they're your onsite staff )

Originally posted by porcupine
    Humor me, whats your budget?
    do you have the backing to cover cost for a year?

Irrelevant at this point, i'm considering something in Vancouver.

whats it matter if you dont have immediate access? you can do almost everything remotely, and if not just pick a place with good onsite staff for hardware or non-remote support.

he said the backing for it was irrelevant.. meaning he doesn't have it yet, or he might, or it just isn't your concern?

?!
    I specialize in neck beards
    Latest: Reach for Android

It doesn't have to be someones concern, i only asked for any little things that I missed other than network, I expressed concern with the routing, since its a single provider for gaming, Internap contacted me, I might as well get a quote once I decide on a location since i have a choice of 2

Edit: WHT is debate planet, everyone has to be persued or argued about

Not to be rude, but is this all for gaming? if so, good luck

I think he meant it's none of your ****ing business.

Originally posted by DJ Plasma
    I am thinking of assigning 3-4 mbit per box, since full game servers don't use that much bandwidth, i've seen 1.5 mbps usage max, and i'll have 20-25 1U servers, most likely 100mbit, maybe even twisted pair as it costs less.

I am in Surrey, BC, Canada , and the provider is Telus.com
    Heh. There is no way you are going to get Telus fiber in Surrey without paying an arm and a leg.

My suggestion would be co-locate downtown (with someone who offers 24 hour access), or in a Telus co-lo facility. You can get colocation pretty cheap ( < $25 CDN for 1U rackspace.)

And even if you get Telus fiber to your basement, I am willing to bet your end cost will be over $1000 per mbit on a low commit.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by codywatkins; 05-05-2004 at 02:43 AM.
    Paradox Web Hosting - [email protected]
    - Shared and Dedicated Hosting Solutions: www.paradoxwebhosting.com
    - Auto Sales Manager 2004 now available!: www.autosalesmanager.com

yea, by the time I get to 20mbit, it will be a hek of a lot cheaper than 1000 per meg but I will take the good advice, TY

have you approached telus? what did they say?
    just i live in edmonton, and telus is local telco and i was just wondering how good they were with these things
    laslo.ca
    Quality Canadian Web Hosting

Telus is a horrid DSL ISP, however i'm not so sure about their fiber quality.

just colo with peer1 in canada.
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

Hello:

My company is looking to open a DC, but on a larger scale then this (300+ servers). For dedicated services, try big backbone names. You're better off paying more money for a stronger network. I'm not sure who you've looked at but AT&T and Qwest are on the top of my list. They do services from dialup to the OC-xx stages.

M. GUZA
    Administrative Director/SYSOP
    [email protected]