Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FDCServers VDS

Question FDCServers VDS

Has anyone used FDC Server's VDS? I know I've read many horror stories about their services and how you should stay away, but how bad is it really? I did a tracert to them and I got pings in the 20-22 range, very nice. I wanted to get a dedicated server from either Managed or ServerMatrix, probably Managed since no setup, but I really can't afford it right now. So I went and saw FDC Server's has a VDS for $60 a month with 10 gigs of space and UNMETERED bandwidth, plus it comes with Cpanel which costs more with either Managed or ServerMatrix. A VDS would be fine for me right now, as it's a little bit cheaper and I won't have to worry as much about admining the box as much. My site will use quite a bit of bandwidth and I have been through quite a few hosts. I am hosting multimedia videos and it isn't exactly mission critical, but 98% uptime would suffice. Given all this, would one recommend FDC to me? Or should I just save up and buy a box from Managed or ServerMatrix. Thanks.

its good or bad depending on how much bandwidth you need, if you put a high load on it it will give you crappy pings but if there is not much load its just fine.
    Ben S.

Low pings aren't a great concern for me, I just need bandwidth. Do you have a server with them?, it seems like you may due to other posts I have seen you make. If so, what is the bandwidth like for being unmetered?

Just wondering if anyone can use 10Mbps almost 24hours/day in their network these days.

Originally posted by Wako
    Just wondering if anyone can use 10Mbps almost 24hours/day in their network these days.
    When I was there I was lucky to get 3Mbps most of the time. Although their uptime has improved greatly, I have noticed people complaining of slow speeds still.....
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

Do you think I can get 600-800 gigs of bandwidth out of the VDS each month?

Originally posted by atbnet
    Do you think I can get 600-800 gigs of bandwidth out of the VDS each month?

you can if you go with their second VDS package. with the first one you can probably do 300-400GB/month?
    If you plan to do more than 1TB you should probably get a dedicated box. we have one of those too and we pull around 400kB/s or more.
    Last edited by TheTrance; 04-26-2004 at 12:50 AM.
    Ben S.

I could get a video downloading and play (2 or less buffering) with 1438kbps speed statistics from the window media player from rackforce VDS account.

But sometimes could get as low as 89kbps, 130-180kbps average.

Originally posted by TheTrance
    you can if you go with their second VDS package. with the first one you can probably do 300-400GB/month?
    If you plan to do more than 1TB you should probably get a dedicated box. we have one of those too and we pull around 400kB/s or more.
    Why would I need the second VDS package to get more bandwidth? They both say they are unmetered.

Why would I need the second VDS package to get more bandwidth? They both say they are unmetered.
    VPS products aren't the same as physical servers. There are lots of limits setup in the software when a VPS is created such as maximum number of processes, maximum number of sockets, inodes, UIDs, RAM, CPU share, etc etc. All of these things end up limiting your capabilities in one way or another including your ability to transfer bandwidth. A VPS with more resources will likewise have more capabilities.
    ServInt
    Providing Managed VPS for over 11 years
    Managed Dedicated Servers for almost 19 years!
    http://www.servint.net

yes, and also FDC's switches limit your speeds (thus packet loss, bad pings and such) once you start using more than what you "should". They all say unmetered but thats just a marketing thing, why would they even offer a second package if you can get the same amount of bandwidth from the cheaper package?
    Ben S.

I see. I wasn't clear on how VDS's worked exactly. Well if I bother to go up to the next package, I might as well just get a managed.com server. I'll try out the one VDS soon.

it really depends on how much load you'll have on your server. if your thinking of pulling over 10mbit for a long time, say 30 minutes forget managed.com. they will unplug you for abuse.
    Ben S.

Well I just need something for now so that I can get revenue from ads on my site and subscriptions to buy a decent server down the line. I don't think I could use 10mbit for over 30 minutes, maybe 5-6mbit for a while though.

Oh yes, I'd like to thank all who replied, you all helped me out. I have a better idea of where I'm going and how I should go about it. Thanks.

Re: FDCServers VDS

Given all this, would one recommend FDC to me? Or should I just save up and buy a box from Managed or ServerMatrix. Thanks.
    Save up, it will be worth your while in the long run.
    [AIM]: BhAaD99 :: [ICQ]: 79048062 :: [MSN/eMail]: lad_b@hotmail.com

Originally posted by Wako
    According to Helpdesk, speeds have been 'decreased'. My server is currently capped at 2Mbps because their GigE links is down.
    So NO!
    I mean cap me at half the speed but lowering me down by 500% is absurd if you ask me.

There are many reasons besides bandwidth why a VPS/VDS - type account is not the right choice for anyone trying to host high traffic sites. As BOBFARMER noted, there are many factors that go into a VDS's performance and many of them are NOT advertised. Also there are better and worse types of VE technology to consider. For example, you can expect much more consistent performance from a VDS running on a properly tuned Virtuozzo box than a Vserve box. Also, some companies like ours offer different sized VDSs with different performance characteristics. So it is important to try and compare apple to apples ... although I admit that can be difficult when not all the key info is available.

More generally, the real challange is to right-size your server for the application. I find the most newbies drastically underestimate the true size of the server they require for high traffic and other resource intensive sites and after jumping from host to host with unrealistic expectations they finally discover they will not get something for nothing ... so like BhAaD said, "Save up...."
    K. Beardmore
    www.RackForce.com

welll their vds is ok but im on the irc line so i cant really comment on it if you are using the webhosting bgp mix. Their VDS's seem to lack memory and 512MB spread between several customers isnt too good.

Well I just need something for now so that I can get revenue from ads on my site and subscriptions to buy a decent server down the line. I don't think I could use 10mbit for over 30 minutes, maybe 5-6mbit for a while though.

Oh yes, I'd like to thank all who replied, you all helped me out. I have a better idea of where I'm going and how I should go about it. Thanks.

If i were you and i would need 5-6 mbit, i'd get a FDC vds (on the non-irc network), i personally think FDC has better uptimes on their yipes network compared to managed.com. speedwise you'd get higher speeds on the managed.com servers.
    Ben S.

Thanks TheTrance that's what I was looking for. I looked around FDC's forums and it seems their Cogent link is down. I may wait until it's back so there is plently of bandwidth for all.

yeah dont go for cogent if you'r not thinking of IRCing... irc line is usually under ddos attacks, its not bad but the yipes/xo mix is much better
    Ben S.

Yeah, I'm going to avoid the Cogent if possible, but people were complaining that they had been lowered to 2mbit since Cogent was out. I'll just wait this out and hopefully things will look up. I hope I can manage the 5-6mbits. They also said they are looking to get more bandwidth which it seems they need.

Originally posted by TheTrance
    yeah dont go for cogent if you'r not thinking of IRCing... irc line is usually under ddos attacks, its not bad but the yipes/xo mix is much better
    The cogent/yipes/xo mix is no better, because it seems nobody gets routed through yipes/xo, just cogent. And now that cogent is down, they capped the bandwidth. Where is the BGP now?

When looking at VDS or VPS servers always consider the technology supporting it. How is the resource sharing done. Can you use extra resources when other customers on the box aren't using them. Also can you be quickly upgraded from one size VPS to another with minimal downtime (minutes) and a complete transfer of all data, configuration and IPs. Not all VPS are created equal.

Originally posted by BhAaD
    The cogent/yipes/xo mix is no better, because it seems nobody gets routed through yipes/xo, just cogent. And now that cogent is down, they capped the bandwidth. Where is the BGP now?

YIPES is the primary bandwidth for the non IRC plans. Cogent is the primary bandwidth for IRC plan. the BGP kicks in when the primary has issues
    Ben S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast