Question What kinds of attacks have you seen from competition?

In the past few years, I've seen some ways to make a webhosting business down, please suggest other tricks you've seen?

network attack: DDoS/DoS
    spoofed network attack: DRDoS
    false spam complaints (joe job)
    false network abuse complaints
    false scam complaints

the new one:
    false banking website: to take your servers away by FBI and service terminated by provider.

How do you protect your business from harm by competition?
    Last edited by nowisph; 04-25-2004 at 06:30 AM.

Secure your servers well.

Secure your data centers well.

Make sure you run your business properly in terms of morals, ethics, and legal issues.

Thank you.
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I had my support ticket system spamed

Sorry but violating any of above cases will still make our business fall, especially when there is outside factors, like false complaints and legal issues, which cannot be avoided. Do you have disaster recovery plan for these issues?

Originally posted by markjut
    I had my support ticket system spamed
    This should be war dialing/mail bomb, to stop your customer service operational?

Hmm... also I've seen a webhosting company's office being destroyed by competitor, they have compensation from insurance, but still stopped operating after that...

Most of us in these forums are mature enough to not have to screw with each others lives and businesses.
    Webmaster Forum Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

I've made a search on WHT, and there are many hosts being attacked by DDoS, spam and copyright issues, especially in the year of 2003...

Georgetown, Ontario
    Originally posted by Amdac
    Most of us in these forums are mature enough to not have to screw with each others lives and businesses.

That being said, we have had spam sent out in our name, and our help desk was flooded as well.

Both times the culprit was caught and had some nice fines to pay.
    Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is...
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

True, people could spam using your name and you would get the stick for it, this has been on my mind for the last couple of months, what happens when people do this :/
    John Heslop

It is pretty low practice, but we have seen some of these too. The false sites that involve the FBI aren't too difficult to deal with if you cooperate fully and provide them 100% backups of the customers site.

Goleta, CA
    I'm too busy dealing with my other customers to sabotage another company. Long as you cooperate false complaints and spam can be sorted out.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

One for the list... forkbomb attacks, a derivative of a denial of service on a server.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Originally posted by voxtreme-matt
    One for the list... forkbomb attacks, a derivative of a denial of service on a server.
    Please advice what is the attack pattern of this attacks? What kinds of rules should we add to firewall to stop this?

just did a search and found the solutions...

Would you mind sharing the solutions?
    John Heslop

Try to have your servers in a colo where you can get to know the DC operators. That way you can negotiate with them when these things happen.

Many leased server environments will pull the plug on you and possible ban you permanently if these things happen.