Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

phpbb vs invision board

Any suggestions on which of these bulletin boards are preferred? I am also looking for a host for my 2 domains that offers Fantastico deluxe so that I can easily install one of these bulletin boards on both sites.

I personally like phpBB. I have been running phpBB forums for almost 2 years now and I really like them.

Fantastico is definately a great way to install forums, but to be honest, installing them from scratch is easy. I like to do it that way so I can add custom features anyway.

Are the boards that come with Fantastico not full versions?

I personally like Invision Board. I switched to Invision from phpBB almost a year ago. phpBB seems to have more bugs, and Invision seems more polished overall. However, you're more obligated to pay the registration fee if you use it.

I also agree that installing forums from scratch is easy. However, you can still add custom features if you use the Fantastico installer.

Originally posted by fergie
    Are the boards that come with Fantastico not full versions?
    They are full versions, the same stuff you get from the official sites. The difference is that Fantastico creates the database and puts together the config file for you. One thing to watch out for: Fantastico doesn't always have the latest version.
    Adventures in Parenting.org - Are you a parent? Listen to the free podcast and sign up for the newsletter!

It's my understanding that the host must have Fantastico de-luxe in order to install the bulletin boards on 2 or more domains under the same account. True or false? Also, are there many hosts out there that have Fantastico de-luxe in their control panel? If so, can anyone recommend one?

My installation doesn't say Fantastico de-luxe, but it allows the installation of more than 2 bulletin boards. I don't know whether it's actually a different version or they all can do this.

It's my understanding that Fantastico is a CPanel add-on. So a prerequisite would be the CPanel control panel; from there I would guess it's 50:50 whether the host has Fantastico.

About recommending one, we're not allowed to do host recommendations in this board, I believe.
    Adventures in Parenting.org - Are you a parent? Listen to the free podcast and sign up for the newsletter!

it is my understanding that the license is per IP address

thats what cpanel told me.

i bought my own license and dont have it thru someone else.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Between those two, I would choose phpBB. However, I recommend vB (what WHT uses).

Fantastico installs are not always the latest releases of the software and may not contain the latest bug fixes or security updates.

As for the question of forum software, phpBB over Invision anyday...

I woudl go IPB over phpBB, it is in my experience, faster, easier to admin, far easier to keep up to day, and uses less sql queries

IPB is my personal favorite, but both are excellent programs!

i like more phpBB, and there are tons of mods and skins for it, i don't see so many for invision.

i can't edit my post?!?!?! one could do that, no??--oh well... i forgot to mention that the versions that come with fantastico are full, and as far as i've seen, they are updated (for example, when the new phpNuke came out, i checked which version i had available to install and it was the newest one).

i started out using phpbb but moved to invision simple because invision has more features and is very fast. it's also very well coded. the only thing I don't like about invision is their skin template system is simply a nightmare to make and edit.

another point about invision is that because they have paying customers, they generally respond to exploits and bugs faster than the phpbb community

Thanks for all the responses on the bulletin boards. Now what is the easiest way for me to find a good host with Fantastico deluxe?

I like Invision Board

Originally posted by fergie
    Thanks for all the responses on the bulletin boards. Now what is the easiest way for me to find a good host with Fantastico deluxe?
    You could try Host Quote.
    Also, take a look around WHT. There are many hosts here, and all you have to do is look in each signature for the URL. Browse around a little bit until you find a good one.

I would'nt use phpBB or Invision Board. I been using Invision board for the past couple of months, and the only thing I like on it is the portal system and it's even a pain to set up. I don't like how minimulistic phpbb is either. If I had to choose I would go with VBulletin .. It cost money but every penny worth it ..

fergie,

I think InvisionPowerBoard is more powerful, has a more advanced administrator's control panel and looks better than phpBB does.

Doing a manual install of IPB is not that difficult, I would be more than happy to help you install it for free. There's nothing better than learning how to install a PHP script instead of relying on auto installers.

Fantastico is very popular and most web hosts offer it. If you could tell us what your budget is, maybe we can make a recommendation.

I have used both, and I prefer phbb.

I like PHPbb, I have found it easy to use and easy to add hacks and modifications to .

I like phpBB cause it is fully open source and I know that the community is always ready to support me when I run into trouble.
    I love the open source spirit....

However, with a invision board, I just can't stand someone barking down my back asking me to pay. I too don't like to live in fear of the company behind invision board abandon the project and leaves us in the lurch, so basically, phpBB for me.
    New site: www.talkutas.com

Originally posted by freak
    However, with a invision board, I just can't stand someone barking down my back asking me to pay. I too don't like to live in fear of the company behind invision board abandon the project and leaves us in the lurch, so basically, phpBB for me.
    You honestly think a company that's been in the business for 5 years now is suddenly going to drop it's star product right before it becomes the #1 forum software on the marketplace? Matt's been programming IPB (in the form of Ikonboard) for too long to suddenly give up his baby.

I would take a look at IPB 2.0 and see how much farther ahead it's going to be in a month or two when it goes RC. They've made the software significantly more scalable, high modular, and added some extremely useful features (mutli-quote comes to mind, plus the new inline moderating features). IPB is not only fast in terms of code speed (the board index view only uses 5 queries!), but in terms of working with the software itself. Honestly, I don't know how it can be compared to the lack of features in phpBB (hacking them in doesn't count), or the relative slowness of vB (even version 3 didn't help fix some of the fundamental problems with their code).
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

I have used both and prefer using IPB.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

Originally posted by Leech
    If I had to choose I would go with VBulletin .. It cost money but every penny worth it ..
    I second that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast