* Is my host on an IP blacklist

After reading someones idea/suggestions about how to check out your hosting company.

I would like to know what it means if after doing a search you find that your IP address of your website (my website) is on a blacklist database??

Blars Block List is what came up. and the code he used next to an IP address was that .32 which sais *hosts spammers websites*?

Can anybody assist with advising what this means?

There were no other blocks on other spam database just this guy.

Does it mean my host is really hosting spammers or not? Is it just that most people end up on one or two spam lists due to not being able to catch their customers who turn out to be spammers quick enough.

Eg. like if you accidentally let one of your customers do some spamming but didn't actually know about it??

It happens to every host at one time or another. It is in no way a bad mark against your host. I would check out my host a bit closer though. Read the complaint, see what it is and if it's the fault of your host or not. If the domain still exists on the hosts network, ask the host why. Also, ask the host what they intend to do to have the listing removed.

Hi, thanks I have just fired off an email to them. I don't know what they will say.

When they are listed, do the companies that list them eg. maintain the spam lists do they actually publish the IP number of the offending website?

It happens sometimes. It happened to my isp's mail server.

Some blacklists tend to put an entire IP range onto the list and then in some cases they even tend to blackmail the DC ..and ask for "consulation" fees for removal.

I suggest checking the IP at spamcop or spamhaus to check if there has been any recent spam on that IP.

Yah I think it is kind of a bit unfair in those cases because probably many hosts innocently just have a bad customer, so through no fault of their own they get registered.

I presume they get taken off after some time.

Blars is one of the most aggressive black lists. No one in their right mind would use that blacklist, so if that is the only one they are on, I wouldn't be too worried.

If you have an IP address to test, go to dnsstuff.com and do a spam database lookup.

Hey Thanks Huminie! Yah your right, I have done bit of research..

www.freeserve.co.uk are also listed and so are www.123-reg.co.uk and these are like two major players in the UK. As you say Blars was the one to stand out, time and time again.

Thanks I guess it is not such a big problem.

I must admit, I am very much against the use of any blacklist. IMO blacklists simply don't work, but this is a personaly opinion.

Most people will agree, however, that Blars and Five-Ten are just plain silly. The guys running these lists are just extremely aggressive when it comes to these lists. They just aren't practical to use.

Well it certainly seems that the majority of hosts have their name with one of these guys most likely.

well, I have never seen any host more than a couple of years old that doesn't has his domain in some blacklist.. So I can't do anything but ignore the list.. my personal opinion.
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Hi Domainwala

There's nothing else that can be done about it except just to remain vigalent with your hosts. Even then its almost impossible, because if someone had a client that was spamming *correct me if I'm wrong* but it is not noticed or discovered until after the actual event by which time the damage has been done.

Also who are these people to *dictate* what is spam and what is not? The question needs to be asked exactly how accurate are their methods for determining what is or isn't spam.