Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology

any thoughts and experiences about this processor?
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

We use the 3 Ghz version of this in a few servers and it's excellent.

<edit>
    Used with:
    Supermicro board
    2 GB PC2700 RAM
    10k rpm SATA HD's
    </edit>
    Last edited by Jim_UK; 04-24-2004 at 12:40 PM.
    Chief brew-maker at several hosting brands since 2002.

FLXI | UK based, cPanel/WHM reseller hosting
    Pay-as-you-go billing, why pay for what you don't use?

I am using that processor in my desktop right now, and with 1GB RAM and a nice SATA drive it screams. Case temp never gets about 70F and everything has been running very well for over two weeks now.

Peter
    The Maag Group - Intelligent IT Solutions
    • Colocation • Dedicated Servers • Server Administration •
    www.maaggroup.com • 877.622.4477

The 2.8E Prescott runs VERY hot in a 1U case, regardless of your heatsync. Our first test with the said chip yielded results of over 200F. Moving the system into a desktop or a 2U case solves this problem.

Its quite the processor once you get it properly cooled.

we just got a shipment of those in and are in the process of testing them. will post results =]

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

The C or Northwood chip is still faster, according to quite a few tech sites like www.tech-report.com www.anandtech.com etc.

We use the E chip, and it is running about 60-63C in our SM 1u's under load. The chip is rated to around 70C according to Intel.

Tom

It has a maximum threshold of 69C, dosn't mean you want it getting anywhere close to that though.

Originally posted by DeathNova
    The 2.8E Prescott runs VERY hot in a 1U case, regardless of your heatsync. Our first test with the said chip yielded results of over 200F. Moving the system into a desktop or a 2U case solves this problem.

We're running a few 2.8 Prescott's in Supermicro 1U chassis and they're averaging 50 degrees Celsius.

This is running on a Supermicro board / Supermicro P4 passive copper cooler and an SC811i chassis (dual blowers)

- Mike

Yup we found the same thing. Going into a 2U case solved alot of the cooling headaches. The Prescott is a great chip but the heat issues are one of the drawbacks..

i got one in my home and it runs at 50c

Shimon, are you running it in a 1U chassis?

Originally posted by mgriffin
    We're running a few 2.8 Prescott's in Supermicro 1U chassis and they're averaging 50 degrees Celsius.

This is running on a Supermicro board / Supermicro P4 passive copper cooler and an SC811i chassis (dual blowers)

- Mike
    how long have you had those? I plan to use the SuperMicro SYS-5013C-iB too.
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Originally posted by inteltechs
    how long have you had those? I plan to use the SuperMicro SYS-5013C-iB too.
    I actually build my own boxes since I can buy seperate components for less than the SuperServers. I do run the same configuration as the SYS-5013C-i, however.

I started running the Prescott's in early April and have experienced zero cooling issues wth them running Supermicro's new copper coolers (SNK-P0002).

- Mike

We're just starting to test the Prescott CPUs this week for use in our Dedicated Server range... we've heard that they can run _extremely_ hot, however all of our Dedicated Servers are in 2U cases and run custom active copper heatsinks so we're not anticipating any problems.

Some customers who have ordered today have opted to go for the older Northwood CPUs as they want to wait a few months for Intel to make sure everything's OK before relying on the new chips for production servers.

As there's very little price difference (£3 - 4 in the UK for 1-off quantities) we've been more than happy to use whichever the client wants.
    Robin Balen
    Gyron Internet Ltd - http://gyron.net/
    UK colocation, managed hosting and connectivity services with 100% uptime SLAs

We're just starting to test the Prescott CPUs this week for use in our Dedicated Server range... we've heard that they can run _extremely_ hot, however all of our Dedicated Servers are in 2U cases and run custom active copper heatsinks so we're not anticipating any problems.

We've been pushing a few servers with the P4 E (Prescott) chip in pretty hard so have some real world experience now... in a 2U chassis with decent cooling, they only run slightly hotter (maybe 2 or 3 deg C) than the Northwood chips.
    Robin Balen
    Gyron Internet Ltd - http://gyron.net/
    UK colocation, managed hosting and connectivity services with 100% uptime SLAs

for P4-2.8E, do use Supermicro P4SCE board in Supermicro 1U SC811x. CPU socket on P4SCE is directly situated in front the big blower, so CPU cooling is optimal and gurrantee not to overheat!
    also, RAM modules are to be installed parallel to air flow so that the heat from CPU/RAM/chipset can get out from the back panel which is grille like....
    Last edited by cwl@apaqdigital; 05-30-2004 at 10:58 PM.
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Originally posted by cwl@apaqdigital
    for P4-2.8E, do use Supermicro P4SCE board in Supermicro 1U SC811x. CPU socket on P4SCE is directly situated in front the big blower, so CPU cooling is optimal and gurrantee not to overheat!
    also, RAM modules are to be installed parallel to air flow so that the heat can get out from the back....
    there are some pictures of P4SCE in SC811x:
    http://www.apaqdigital.com/ebay/sc811/p4sce/rear.jpg
    http://www.apaqdigital.com/ebay/sc811/p4sce/top.jpg
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Originally posted by mgriffin

- Mike
    It disturbs me that everyone uses Supermicro chassis' as a counter to my 1U argument. I think it goes without saying that a Supermicro products are going to handle a little better than typical homemade boxes.

It disturbs me that everyone uses Supermicro chassis' as a counter to my 1U argument. I think it goes without saying that a Supermicro products are going to handle a little better than typical homemade boxes.
    why *shouldn't* we use them as a counter argument? if a homemade box doesn't work well enough, buy quality and never look back.

paul

I'm just stating that a Supermicro 1U is not representative of the majority of 1U system in existances. Even though its the same size, its a distinctly diffrent system.

if a homemade box doesn't work well enough, buy quality and never look back
    if fact, it's quite easy to home-made a 1U supermicro server.

you can get P4SCE+SC811i-250 for about $400 to assemble yourself. also do consider SC811T-250 (2x hot-swap SATA) which is well worth the $20 extra.

be sure to order 1U heatsink (SNK-0032) and retention kit (SKT-115) which are not supplied with the board nor the case.

if FDD is required, use only Panasonic. no other brands will fit.
    Last edited by cwl@apaqdigital; 05-31-2004 at 09:59 AM.
    sales@apaqdigital.com

actually,

the snk-0032 seems to be insufficient ime. i like to use snk-p002s (the copper ones).

paul

u are right! for P4-2.8 or higher, copper heatsink would certainly be recommended.
    sales@apaqdigital.com

right. we tried doing the 2.8 prescotts in the 14" chassis and without the copper heatsinks, it is way too close for comfort =]

by the way, for those that don't know, c.w. sells self-built supermicro boxes on ebay and is well-regarded in the ebay community, from what i can see.

paul