How safe are you and your family from burglars while asleep?

This is an unwanted wake up call I experienced. One that could of turned bloody or deadly for me.

Yesterday (Friday, 23rd April 2004) at about 2pm I went to sleep. At about 7:30pm someone cautiously opened my bedroom door. I was lying on my back at the time and opened my eyes to see whom it was but I was unable to as all the lights in the house were off. I lay there trying to figure out whether it was a family member or a friend. Whoever it was then walked to the edge of my bed, touched my douvet covered left leg and then left the room leaving the door open behind them. I then heard noises coming from the kitchen and I was curious as to what was going on so I cautiously got out of bed. Then I heard noises coming from the passage. This is when I realised that this person was walking down the passage towards my room again and they were up to no good, so I quickly went to my bedroom door and saw two men in the passage who in turn saw me and made an exit. They stole two TV's, the video machine and DVD player ...and they'll be back.

Don't let the wake up call I experienced be one that you wake up to.

Here's an idea.. lock your doors.

Usually, I'm pretty safe. Locks on all doors + alarm sytem.

I place motion/heat sensors at every window & door of my house. Very effective! Equip very loud Buzzers and bells so that those buggers die from a heart attack

We had an alarm system, but no alarm system is better than a flawed one. Ours kept going off at its own will until we decided to show it the exit.

I feel pretty safe without one; my secret: God and a baseball bat under my bed waiting to go off.

I had someone just walk in once, not too long ago.

He must have been pretty quiet (even though I don't lock my doors). But, I have dogs; inside and out.

This fellow made it just inside the front door. When I awoke from the barking dogs, I followed the noise to find that my two house dogs were on either side of someone standing just inside the door.

Poor soul had wet himself. He had a pillow case that had dropped to the floor beside him.

I left him and the dogs there while we waited for the police to take him away.

I still don't lock my doors though.

I know dogs aren't the answer for everyone. But, judging from how quickly my Akitas sell, they must work well for some of us.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Dylan,

Im so sorry you got stole from WHILE IN YOUR HOUSE!!!

How did they manage to carry so much stuff out W/O you knowing they were there?????? VERY SAD!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless,i hope you'll lock the doors so they cant come back!!!

And SWR,

Im so glad you were able to get him out be4 he stole anything!!!

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

hey dylan remember me?
    anyways, sorry about your loss
    at least they weren't the murdering type robbers

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    I had someone just walk in once, not too long ago....
    Dennis, I'm really sorry about that... Like I've told you before. But didja have to post that I wet myself on a public forum?

As far as dogs are concerned - my beagle'd show the criminals the dvd player, the laptop, et al.. Might even hold the door open for 'em, but I'm not too sure on that. Maybe I need a meaner dog.

Dylan: How did they get in? Break a window?

Wow thats messed up... I would keep a gun/weapon close by incase anything ever happens again. If you have kids keep a log on the gun or keep the weapon somewhere safe

About a year ago i had two friends living with me, one of them left the patio door unlocked when we went to bed and someone came in and took cash and a few other things...

Ive now got a new alarm, set it every night when go upstairs to bed just monitors downstairs and a second lock on the patio doors.

Also put a huge lock on the gate to stop them getting into the garden.

Ill admit, ill make a mistake once and trust the local community, its lets me down and thats it, never again.

If it wasnt illegal in the UK id electrify the gates and have heat sensitive machine guns in the living room, with a nice big warning on the entrance "BURGLE AT YOUR OWN RISK, DANGER OF DEATH"
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

My dog can reach any window in the house in 2 seconds... Can you?

I usully make sure the doors are locked. Our dog barks, growls, etc at just about any little noise. Even people outside. The dog is protective and very aggressive to people he doesnt know.
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

pchomeguard.com
    Each One Teach One~eduhosting.org
    Financial Software, Video Production
    Graphic Design, Free PC Labs 4 Kids. Start one in your town. It's a BLAST!

damn I was just going to say heat sensitive machine guns.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Originally posted by XTStrike
    If it wasnt illegal in the UK id electrify the gates and have heat sensitive machine guns in the living room, with a nice big warning on the entrance "BURGLE AT YOUR OWN RISK, DANGER OF DEATH"

LOL.

I'll be setting up something like that soon.
    Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is...
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

Although you can not rely on the community for your safety, but I feel quite safe with a police man living on both sides of my house as well as directly infront of it, The person behind me has about 30 guns, so I don't really have to worry there.

Originally posted by Hosemeyer
    The person behind me has about 30 guns, so I don't really have to worry there.
    Until his wife leaves him or he looses his job and becomes mentally unstable...

When you live in a third world country and one of the most dangerous countries in the world (Venezuela) you get to realize safety is really important.

That is why my house is designed to be unbreakable (as in cannot break in), we have no 'fence' because the whole house is built with cement. It really is a bunker, there is no way in or way out without keys, not to mention, the room area is separated of the rest of the house with a metal door that has 3 locks.

We also have two rottweilers (sp), once someone was looking for a way to get in, he tried to make a hole in the roof with a chizzel and hammer (sp? both), of course the sound woke us up and we called the police.
    He didnt do squat to the roof

Originally posted by Maquiavelo
    When you live in a third world country and one of the most dangerous countries in the world (Venezuela) you get to realize safety is really important.

That is why my house is designed to be unbreakable (as in cannot break in), we have no 'fence' because the whole house is built with cement. It really is a bunker, there is no way in or way out without keys, not to mention, the room area is separated of the rest of the house with a metal door that has 3 locks.

We also have two rottweilers (sp), once someone was looking for a way to get in, he tried to make a hole in the roof with a chizzel and hammer (sp? both), of course the sound woke us up and we called the police.
    He didnt do squat to the roof
    no Keys?

can you take pictures of your house and sutff like that? It sounds prettty cool.

Yes there are keys, but the house is not built like most houses in the US.

It's more of a bunker with cameras (even inside the house).

sorry to hear that happend to ya man, if it happened to me I would be so lazy to do anything cause thats just me bein relaxed and going GOD if someone wants my crap you must not want me to have it

BUT thats ME
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

I consirder my house safe, I have a webcam in the mian window, watching over the window and front doors, broadcast to my bedroom, just inside the door i have another camara that is hooked up to another machine(all wifi) which starts recording when it detects motion. Windows are nailed shut, all doors have locks and i sleep with my asp.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

Originally posted by Maquiavelo
    Yes there are keys, but the house is not built like most houses in the US.

It's more of a bunker with cameras (even inside the house).
    pictures?

When i was 9 i wasa in my room, sleeping, i was awake but i didnt think anything of it, i was too young. Someone was right beside me, i could see them and eventually my dad came through because he could hear him. I woke up next morning asking him if there was anyone in my room.

That's all i can remember. He didnt steal anything either.

get a moat....I have a quartermile moat around my home.
    Each One Teach One~eduhosting.org
    Financial Software, Video Production
    Graphic Design, Free PC Labs 4 Kids. Start one in your town. It's a BLAST!

^^ Easy for some, in uk it's hard to built moats round houses, lol

Anyway, how much would it cost for motion sensors on doors and windows?

Motion Sensors > Bad idea on back door, the room where cat sleeps.
    Heat Sensors > Radiators below windows not set it off?

Originally posted by creepcolony
    at least they weren't the murdering type robbers
    I'm a murdering type homeowner. If you're planning a home invasion here, come armed!

That would freak me out so much. I lock my doors (ALL of them), we have 3 dogs that hear a slight noise (from outside as well) will start barking like mad.

Plus we have guns alot of them to protect are selfs. Someone broke into a house long time ago (before we locked the doors), but when they saw the gun pointed right at them they kinda froze (the police took him).

If someone wants to go into MY house without being welcome they sure are going to get a big suprize, and it isnt gift in a box.
    I am back....

My family ae very safe, although we live in a "not so nice" area, it's plain stupid to break into a house like ours
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

My parents' apt. was once broken into by 2 Albanian burglars that due to the darkness lost their way around the rooms. My dad yelled the hell out of the them and they jumped off the veranda into the street, dropping their loot.

I use a security alarm system and have a 9mm at close range

I used to live in an apartment in brooklyn, while we were out, someone came in, threw chairs and stuff all over, and stole a camera.

Now that i live in a house, not much is going on [knocks on wood]
    however, a neighbors visitor, had a tire stolen in the middle of the night on her beemer.
    [And im in a good neighborhood]

And dogs, they are a must.
    Put yourself into the mindset of a theif..
    you want loot, doesnt matter where it comes from.. so are you going to choose house A with barking dog? or B with no dog...?

Originally posted by Rob83
    Here's an idea.. lock your doors.
    Ahh they don't have windows down there in Florida ?
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

If you break into my home, there are numerous possibilities depending on how foul a mood you put me in, namely:

.357 magnun ("You shouldn't have done this, now you're gonna' have a big hole in you..."), .40 S&W ("You should have thought twice, now you're gonna have a HUGE hole in you..."), or 7.62x39 ("Man that was dumb, now you're going to have thirty little holes in you...").

Of course, if you should choose to break and enter on a night when both my apartment-mates are there as well, you might be looking down the barrels of all three.

We've had at least one attempted burglary in our house several years ago. One of our motion sensors picked up the person while they were at one of our back windows looking in. Needless to say...two outdoor sirens went off along with our indoor one.

My father (who was a sheriff deputy for a few years) grabbed his firearm and made his way outside. Just as he got outside he heard the guy jump over the fence and knock our trashcans over. The next day I was putting the trashcans back and I noticed the person left his shoe on the fence. lol

On another note...I know an individual who woke up one night and thought someone was in their house. They had deadbolts installed a while back on their bedroom doors (made out of solid wood) so no one could have gotten into the bedroom. I can't remember if she called the police or not, but when she finally left the bedroom she saw her back door wide open. Spooky.
    TradeViceroy

This may be a bit off topic with houses and families, however, my friend was robbed in the streets coming home from work in Minnesota. All he had was a paycheck, the robbers had guns and held one head and one in his mouth. The guy with the gun in his mouth chipped his tooth. After they took his paycheck, they ran with no harm to my friend thankfully.

As for my family being safe from burglars, I'd say yes. We live in an area where traffic tickets and the occasional DUI make the news. We own a motel and the place is very active, this probably wouldn't be a very hot spot for a robber.
    Christian Koehler
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting
    +1.866.5RACKED (ext. 802)

never been robbed, I live in AUS

I have a alarm system in my home and garage. Actually I have 2 of them. My system gives glass break, door and window contacts as well as I can program all the lower level motion detectors to be active while those on the bedroom level are off allowing people to go to the bathroom etc without fear of setting off the alarm.

I have a redundant alarm system recently installed which provides a secondary level of protection even if phone lines are disabled.

I am not paranoid. I simply am protecting my investments in both sound equipment and music I have for my Disc Jockey service, as well as my computer and office equipment investments I have for both the DJ service as well as the web hosting service.
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    http://www.tygerhosting.com
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003

Originally posted by reyna12
    Motion Sensors > Bad idea on back door, the room where cat sleeps.
    That's not really a problem. Generally motion sensors for home alarm systems are of two types. One is just a beam of light aimed across a likely traffic area (of course, in practice you'd use more than one of these) at a photosensor. The alarm is tripped when the beam is broken. As long as it's high enough off the floor (and also set up keeping in mind that a cat might jump on cabinets or whatever) a cat won't set it off. An alarm installer will take whether or not you have pets into consideration. Similar approaches are used with systems that use other "active" technologies, like radar (not usually used in home alarms) or ultrasound.

The other approach commonly used is a little more high-tech, using passive infrared or pyroelectrics. Those are usually not going to be affected by a cat or other animal, because they are set to respond to infrared energy only of a wavelength that is produced by a human body, not that produced by a cat.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.