http://onestopserver.com

any have account on this servr or hear? I search real good and no cheap ressel plan, and this server look ok, Tnx for answer
      0 Not allowed!

They are definitely overselling their bandwidth...

Besides, there is no such thing as unlimited bandwdith.
    New site: www.talkutas.com
      0 Not allowed!

Onestopserver's TOS
    Bandwidth and Disk Usage Subscriber agrees that bandwidth and disk usage shall not exceed the number of megabytes per month for the Services ordered by Subscriber on the Order Form (the "Agreed Usage"). One Stop Server will monitor Subscriber's bandwidth and disk usage. One Stop Server shall have the right to take corrective action if Subscriber's bandwidth or disk usage exceeds the Agreed Usage. Such corrective action may include the assessment of additional charges, disconnection or discontinuance of any and all Services, or termination of this Agreement, which actions may be taken is in One Stop Server's sole and absolute discretion. If One Stop Server takes any corrective action under this section, Subscriber shall not be entitled to a refund of any fees paid in advance prior to such action. In the event that a Subscriber exceeds the included allocation, One Stop Server may, at its sole discretion, collect a deposit, in an amount determined by One Stop Server, against Subscriber's credit card on file with One Stop Server.
    How do you exceed unlimited?

Onestopserver's AUP
    One Stop Server intends to provide its customers access to everything the Internet has to offer. While One Stop Server is firmly committed to the principles of free speech, certain activities that may be damaging to the resources of both One Stop Server and the Internet and cannot be permitted under the guise of free speech. The resources of One Stop Server and the Internet are limited, and abuse of these resources by one Subscriber has a negative impact on the entire community.
    I thought they had unlimited bandwidth?

Now correct me if i'm wrong, but are they offering 3 GBs of space and 500 Gbs of b/w for $19.95 a year? Talk about overselling.

Edit: Tracert reveals they are hosted at ThePlanet. At the prices that ThePlantet rents their servers, these guys cant keep afloat unless they are massively overselling.
    Last edited by Rhiannon; 04-24-2004 at 11:18 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Wow they must be overselling on bandwidth like hell.
      0 Not allowed!

This thread was brought to my attention by one of my staff members, and I speak from personal experience. A partnership with the person who owns OneStopServer.com was definitely a learning experience.

OneStopServer.com was until recently reselling off of a dedicated server which I "owned." Your conclusions are correct, he oversells accounts, which he did on my server, resulting in sites crashing, mysql crashing, and finally the whole machine crashing and needing a new HDD.

I speak from personal involvement with his "business practices" when I say that it would be in your best interests to find reliable hosting elsewhere. He hasn't even updated his site to reflect that my sites, listed as "his network" don't belong to him and have nothing to do with onestopserver.com.
      0 Not allowed!

Well there is always 2 sides to every story.

What you have to realize is there is 3 things in web hosting that most people care about no matter what business practices a person uses.

1. Your site is always up and no down time.

2. Your site is fast

3. It is configured correctly and there is no problems installing things to your server.

If a server meets those requirements I don't care is someone oversells the hell out of their server. As you all know overselling your server is a misconception. All overselling means is you sell your service as 10 gigs of space 1,000,000 gigs of bandwidth knowing full well no one will use all that. It is a marketing ploy and that is all their is to it.

If you don't have brains enough to figure out that if you want to host something that would normall require a dedicated server in the first place you can't do it on a reseller account.

Just use common sense and you will be fine.

Just one last footnote, Onestopservers is awsome by the way. I have had no downtime, server is rocket fast and the support is great.

He has a 30 day money back guarentee so if your not happy you just leave. You can do like I did and just give it a try and see how your experience is for 30 days.

I actually get sick and tired of people trashing other people's services. If it is warrented that is fine but I feel in this case it is just a disgruntled partner.
    Tony
    [email protected]
    www.mvp-hosting.com
    "FREE 30 Day Trial, Try Before You Buy"
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mvp-hosting
    I actually get sick and tired of people trashing other people's services.
    I think you summed it up nicely on your own website:

In my experience there are a lot of hosting companies out there that offer rock bottom prices. You also get rock bottom support for those prices.
      0 Not allowed!

When youre a reseller, with clients depending on you, you dont have the luxury of trying out every company just because they have a money back guarantee. When I go with a company I want to stay there for a long time, not have to pingpong every month.
      0 Not allowed!

That's a good point Rhiannon - and I think one of the problems is that many resellers will jump to a new host with all their customers before testing the server themselves. There is always going to be an element of risk in doing this, especially if the decision to choose a host is based on price or unrealistic packages.

If a reseller provider offers a money-back guarantee, then the best option is to take out an account with your selected host, and test it for a week or two before moving any of your own customers. If it's good, then go with it - if not, get your money back.

Unfortunately, this is rarely a luxury people can afford, as they are often desparate to move from their current host due to whatever reason. In this case, ask LOTS of questions, be awkward, and make sure you get the details you want.
      0 Not allowed!

Well believe me you may not want to play ping pong but you often do until you find someone reliable. I have been with the big boys and the one man band shows. You have to find for yourself what works and what doesn't and even with all the best research that you can do you still may pick a stinker even if everyone else says they are awsome.

All I am really trying to say is don't always believe what you read. I was very apprehensive going with onestopserver but I had been screwed over by some of the big boys also so I thought I would give the 30 day trial a go. In all honesty I was expecting another bust and was already looking for the next person to try. Well onestopserver has been great and zero downtime and awsome support. I have 2 servers and they are both with small companies and are great. It some times is that needle in a haystack that is what you are looking for.

Just remember no matter how great of a person(busness owner) you are if you are divorced(ex partner) that person is going to trash the heck out of you and try to make your life misserable. Just keep that in mind from the post above from the ex-partner.

I am only one person but I am very pleased with the server and service.

Sorry for being so long winded but the person I have my other server with has not been down to my knowledge or my clients knowledge in almost a year. If I would have listened to all the people trashing his business I would have missed out on one great server! Goes to show people can be wrong in their judgements!
    Tony
    [email protected]
    www.mvp-hosting.com
    "FREE 30 Day Trial, Try Before You Buy"
      0 Not allowed!

Disgruntled partner? No. A now not so naive one? Yes. There are some valid points that have been brought up.

To quote mvp-hosting: "Just remember no matter how great of a person(busness owner) you are if you are divorced(ex partner) that person is going to trash the heck out of you and try to make your life misserable. Just keep that in mind from the post above from the ex-partner."

You don't know the whole story, so therefore can't say whether I am just trashing onestopserver or not. A question was asked, I answered it honestly. If you don't want to believe me, that is your perogative; I have others who can back up what I said, along with server logs, support tickets and emails from his customers at the time. However the point is moot. If you are happy with onestopserver and all is going well for you, I hope it continues to do so. I hope he is more honest with his customers than he was with me when it came to running a business. Just remember to do regular backups of your databases.
      0 Not allowed!

I've had a reseller account at OSS for just over a month now. Support has been excellent from the outset, with queries responded to at all times of the day and night in double quick time.
    A month isn't a long time in hosting terms but OSS seem genuinely eager to satisfy their customers. A look at the forum there should convince you that most people who have signed up are more than happy.

Overselling? Sure, but at least OSS come clean about it whereas others charge much more and do it anyway. Those who wish to preach about the ethics should get their quality of support somewhere near the high levels of OSS before they start looking down their noses in contempt.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by slowdive
    Those who wish to preach about the ethics should get their quality of support somewhere near the high levels of OSS before they start looking down their noses in contempt.
    That's a bit of a sweeping statement - have you tried any of these hosts out to compare their support, or are you just ASSuming?
      0 Not allowed!

I've had reseller accounts with six different companies ranging in price from $600 a year to OSS's $30 a year.
    The best of the bunch was good but no better than OSS and $600 a year.
    The worst was a lot more expensive and never answered support requests.
    It can hardly be a sweeping statement when it is based on bitter experience?
      0 Not allowed!

Perhaps you should name and review those six, rather than brand all other reseller hosts who encourage honest business practises as "looking down their noses in contempt".

There are far more horror stories about cheap, overselling hosts than there are about those who maintain good quality servers at realistic prices. Just look at httpme, bluewho, and some of the others - not many complaints come from there.
      0 Not allowed!

Perhaps you should name and review those six, rather than brand all other reseller hosts who encourage honest business practises as "looking down their noses in contempt".
    Now that is sweeping...
    I am not branding all other reseller hosts as anything. All I am trying to say in defence of OSS is that overselling is often held aloft in this forum as the deadliest of sins when in fact from a resellers perspective the deadliest of sins is leaving your reseller high and dry when they ask for help.
    OSS is getting blasted here for overselling when their support is excellent. I'd rather host with a company that was honest about overselling and helpful rather than righteous and aloof and still overselling on the quiet anyhow!
    To those of you who feel branded I apologise but get off your high horse with regards to overselling.
      0 Not allowed!

Slowdrive, you should get good support as well as a good server. Selling 100 gigs bandwidth for $3.99 is a recipe for disaster though, and I wont even comment on the 'unlimited bandwidth' the offer.

I hope it works out for you, but I very much doubt it will.
      0 Not allowed!

Hello,

I am glad you seem to know my business all to well InSite Fact is, you don't know much of anything about it. You can assume all you want, however. That is fine, and that surely is your perogative to do as such.

Fact is: all web hosts oversell. Fact is: all data centers oversell as well. If everyone used all the bandwidth they were truly allocated in a datacenter, the datacenter would have some major problems, and need a lot more pipes than they already have. Agreed? For example: Just take a look at how much bandwidth ev1 is currently pushing thru their pipes. What happens should everyone they host at their datacenter suddenly doubles there business? ev1 will have trouble, and they will need to add more bandwidth.

So anyways, what is the difference if a web host offers 50GB 100GB 500Gb or even unlimited? No difference, cuz no matter how you look at it, it is all overselling. Put 500 sites on 1 server at 50GB, and you are talking about selling 25,000GB of bandwidth even though you may only be allocated 1 or 2000 GB for the server. Anyone who knows anything about web hosting companies, and is good with math could easily figure out that any web host is overselling there servers regardless of what they charge.

The only way for any small to medium sized hosting company to survive, unless you have unlimited deep pockets, is to oversell. And overselling within itself is not a bad thing as long as you know how to control, manage and balance your servers and your business. Which I do. And I do an excellent job of it. And I think just about everyone one my customers will more then agree with that fact. I could post countless emails commending me on the job and services I have done thus far.

And just because I charge far less then the "normal" rates one would expect, does not make that wrong. That does not make my business any less "survivable" then the next guy out there. Actually, at the prices I charge, it is more of a threat to the big boys out there; and that is moreso the reason you will all continue to try to knock me down. (Why buy a carton of cigarettes for $45 when you can get the same carton for $20 online? -- same concept).

So trying to knock me or my hosting company down wont work... And you want to know why? Because I am here to stay... and business is going great... and growing at a steady rate, and my customers are satisfied with their service, and I will ensure that they remain 100% satisfied.

So you can feel free to try to pick about every last word I have said in this post, but it is not going to change any of the facts. And being I offer a legitimate 30 day money back guarantee, everyone can freely try out my services for 30 days pretty much with no risk whatsoever involved.
      0 Not allowed!

You forgot to add how you'll manage the whole thing when you have hundreds of users and you are the only manager. You have also forgot about how you lie to your customers about downtimes. And how to leach onto someone elses server promising them the earth then invading into their home without offering them a cent or any assistance to make their presence not a burden, end up being asked to leave because they won't shower or leave the house and get kicked off their server because they find out you were ripping them off.
    Guess the world isn't such a big place after all.
      0 Not allowed!

----- Original Message -----
    To:
    Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 11:11 PM
    Subject: galaxy problem

Hello,

We have had a major problem with galaxy. During a backup, the hard drive has seemed to fail, and at this time we cannot access the server to retreive the data. We have technicians attempting to rectify the situation, but we cannot gaurentee what the data recovery will yield, if anything at this time.

This was our primary reasoning for updating/upgrading galaxy as it is not the same type of server as the rest of our others, and we had it online until we could secure another server that was as hearty as most of our servers are. Of the 7 servers we run, this is the first hardware failure we have ever had. And while we have backups of your data, they are on that server, waiting for tranfer to the new server.

In order to speed up the process of reinstalling accounts, please go to this link:

<link removed>

On that page you will see 2 accounts listed. One is for regular web hosting plans, one is for resellers. Please select the plan you had (regular or reseller hosting). Enter all your information as you did when you originally signed up. You will see we have upped the bandwidth limits and disk space limits for you as a sincere apology for what has happened to galaxy. There is no charges listed, as you have been already billed., and your billing will continue as normal.

Reupload/setup your accounts to the new server. This server is 100% stable, and we have off server data backup in place for this server in the event of this nature, which galaxy did not have.

Please note that there is new name servers:

dns1.onestopserver.com
    dns2.onestopserver.com

Be sure to update these at your registrar.

Feel free to contact us with any questions that you may have, and email us once your account has been setup.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

Admin

onestopserver.com
    Lets do a simple breakdown of this letter that I received on April 14.
    During a backup, the hard drive has seemed to fail
    According to the person who paid for the server, the server failed not during a hard drive backup, but during a migration of accounts off the server (according to the technical support, whoever was migrating all the accounts off was kind enough to corrupt the kernel, causing a permanent loss of the hard drive... and that there would be a fee to restore the data... was the person who owned the server at all reimbursed by you for this, in whole or even in part?).
    This was our primary reasoning for updating/upgrading galaxy as it is not the same type of server as the rest of our others
    I was informed that the reason for the "upgrade" was not because of an upgrade, but because the current admin of 1stop was kicked off the server for leaching off the person paying the bill, and lying to her about everything involving the server, like why the server load was peaking high enough that it would lock up solid, and why the MySQL would stop responding and corrupt the data (this has been confirmed through multiple support tickets)... thank God for personal backups, because the administration wasn't running them either.
    Of the 7 servers we run, this is the first hardware failure we have ever had
    7? I heard 2, one of which held 160 clients, and the other not in use by 1stop at all... so why this reference to 7 servers?
    And while we have backups of your data, they are on that server
    This is just unprofessional. I sincerely hope that by now you have learned that a backup of data is to prevent loss of info when something no longer works..
    On that page you will see 2 accounts listed. One is for regular web hosting plans, one is for resellers. Please select the plan you had (regular or reseller hosting). Enter all your information as you did when you originally signed up. You will see we have upped the bandwidth limits and disk space limits for you as a sincere apology for what has happened to galaxy. There is no charges listed, as you have been already billed., and your billing will continue as normal.
    So, you say that we all needed to sign up again, because our account data was lost, but in the same paragraph say that you will continue to bill us anyway?
    Reupload/setup your accounts to the new server.
    What happened to the backups that we were promised, again?
    This server is 100% stable
    Explain to me what it takes to make a server less than 100% stable, and why you would intentionally place your clients on it, and I'll buy into this comment.
    and we have off server data backup in place for this server in the event of this nature, which galaxy did not have.
    So does this verify that all data was lost, thereby making the statement of backed up data false? How can your customers be sure that you are not feeding a line now, since you already told them all once before that their sites would be backed up as a part of the service?
    and email us once your account has been setup.
    My account had already been set up once, and I was told that I would receive good service. Instead I received site downtime, a loss of data (which, as I said before, I can be glad I kept personal backups instead of trusting that the service I was promised would actually be given), and lies from the administration. Would it not have been a lot better to simply state the truth in that your bill-payer was tired of being walked on and leached from, and told you to remove your clients from her server?
    How honest are you really being with your clients now, and how much is a BS line being fed to them in hopes that they won't discover the truth?
    You offered the potential for a great service... unfortunately that was hindered by your lack of honesty to the people that pay you for service. If you can't be honest with them, sooner or later they too, like myself, will discover the truth and you will become just another webhosting statistic.
    I heard you were even sleeping on the owners couch... who's couch are you sleeping on now, and are they paying for your new server?
    To anyone considering this company, do not take my post as a rant, but more so as a warning. All companies will suffer a problem at one point or another... but at least they have the decency to be honest about it after. This is something that was severely lacking with onestopserver (as evidenced by the letter I received) and should be taken into serious consideration.

Signed,
    A Severely dissatisfied former customer, now happily hosted elsewhere

P.S. Freak, I love your sig line. It says it all, doesn't it?
      0 Not allowed!

Justa word to the wise... Slander will get you nowhere... except a legal battle with my attorneys...

And it is obvious, that is what the last 2 posts intend to do, as you pretty much stated yourselves by the way you have worded your posts that you have contact with the ex-partner.

My business continues to grow at a rapid rate every day... your continued slander and flaming will not hinder the rate at which OneStopServer.com continues to grow.

And just to clear the record here...

1 - I never sent an email of that nature out, as I am not the only who had access to the emails of onestopserver.com at that time, so please don't point a finger if you don't know it to be a bonafide fact. If you want to assume things, go for it.

2 - Dont blame me for the hard drive issues on the old server. Or for kernel corruption, as if I can recall, I saw 4 others at any given time with "root" access logged into the shell. Root access that I did not give out. The server would even email me every time someone logged into root. I knew each and every time. These accounts that were hosted on the server were already removed long before the server crashed. If you want to blame anyone, blame those that are inexperienced with "root".

3 - I administrate 6 servers currently... not all have to do with OSS... and interestingly enough, not one of them has ever crashed.

4 - Like I said in the beginning of the post, killanet and Frmr1stopCustomer (obviously you are not even a bonafide customer, you just signed up to snoop info into aiding Adaera), your only intention is to slander me and OSS. It won't succeed. People could easily see what the intentions of your posts really mean. Afterall, look at the sign up dates, this month, and your only posts of course, to this forum are with the intentions of slander.

BTW, my personal life is no ones business, and especially since you do not all the facts of "if, and, and why" I suggest you keep your mouths shut. Keep it up, and I assure you, legal proceedings will be initiated. If you think I am joking, then I suggest you think again before you go running your mouths off. It won't take much to figure out who you are, once I initiate a legal action against the partys involved, if need be. And if need be, I no doubt certainly will.

Enough said... as I am not going to continue to defend myself against pure rubbish and slanderous and absurd posts.
      0 Not allowed!

So you are claiming that the e-mail I received from an "[email protected]" on April 14 at 11:11 PM from IP address 68.36.124.X (last section removed for your own safety) is falsified?
    Are you also claiming that Michael at skybest also did not receive this e-mail?
    Feel free to proceed with legal actions if it makes you feel better. I am pretty sure that I could aquire a list of your customers, as well as copies of the trouble tickets and logs, showing that you have in fact lied to your customers for the purpose of getting ahead.
    So as I said... you go ahead with that legal action you are threatening... I will be more than happy to counter-sue... the difference being, I have copies of the trouble tickets and a few other key pieces of info that were happily turned over to me when I asked.
    OneStopServ, all you need is honesty and you'll do well in the webhosting business. Lying to your customers is not a good way to go. I wish you all the best in your attempts to maintain a decent service. But be careful of who's hand you try to bite.
      0 Not allowed!

The only key piece here is that you are obviously a snoop and trying to promote slander, trying to undermine my business... try as you might, I assure you, you will not succeed.

I am pretty sure that I could aquire a list of your customers, as well as copies of the trouble tickets and logs, showing that you have in fact lied to your customers for the purpose of getting ahead.
    Go for it... make sure you supeona each and every one of them too... keep in mind, the venue for any action against us is New Jersey. And if I lied to my customers, like you claim (but which I didnt do), it is still better then sleeping with the vindictive animal that keeps trying to bring me down. I hope you sleep well at nite knowing you are active part of this vindictive scheme of hers.

And to the one or 2 customers that may not have been happy with the hosting? So be it, it happens... it is like that with any business, web hosting or not.

And I am sure you and your limited little group of friends, have something much better to do, then to continually harrass me with this obvious vindictive based utter nonsense. At which point I really consider this harrassment.
      0 Not allowed!

Go for it... make sure you supeona each and every one of them too... keep in mind, the venue for any action against us is New Jersey.
    Yeah, keep that in mind when you supeona me from Australia & the court falls over laughing because you're suing someone for what they said about you on a small corner of the internet.
      0 Not allowed!

These kinds of public displays of affection can best be sorted out privately.

Both the company, and the accusing client(s) have only tarnished their credibility, image, reputation....etc.

Perhaps a mod can save these people from themselves by closing this thread.
    Hosting.Express | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER - domain name, email and cPanel web hosting = $3.73 per month | Contact Us: 1-800-861-1888
      0 Not allowed!

Seems to have veered off topic a little in to a personal problem between a host and their ex customer, maybe they should take this up by PM.
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!