Template sites Guilty!!

Images and music that is not bought (aka illegal stock / resources), another reason why templates suck.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Feel better?
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Yes, thank you
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

I agree, designs should be original!

I second, design your own site!! php-nuke really makes me mad.

Not all people have the time and skills to design such sites as the ones they can buy.

Templates are good.

But illegal elements are involved, you're paying to risk being sued for copyright infringement
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

Originally posted by pmoduk2
    But illegal elements are involved, you're paying to risk being sued for copyright infringement
    Not really... A Cease & Desist will go out, and if the person infringing on a copyright complys with it, pretty much case closed.. The little guys can't afford to sue anyone, and the big guys really don't bother much anymore, A few certified legal letters to the infringer and his host will shut him down..

Just take a look at how many sites people have posted on WHT that they found RIP's of other peoples sites.. I am almost willing to bet that 99% of them were taken down because they got caught, or their host took them down. I would be shocked to see and actual lawsuit or any financial damage come to anyone from ripping something..

Yes, you're right but you always get a stubborn person who thinks 'I paid for it, so no', and will end up being sued. I agree very unlikely, this is a worst case scenario.

The point I'm trying to make though is that they shouldn't be able to resell over and over what isn't theres.

Personally if I found any content that is copyright of me or my company being resold ona template site, I would make sure they got their just deserves. It's wrong that they make money from someone elses work / photos.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

The point I'm trying to make though is that they shouldn't be able to resell over and over what isn't theres.
    Can you give an example of what template sites you are refering to that resell over and over, something that isn't theirs?

Oops, I misunderstood the post. Are you talking about sites like FlashZing? Those sites use templates and just customize the links, company name etc. and then sell them to the customer, but the template itself doesn’t change from one customer to the next, ie: the images and animations stay the same.
    Last edited by [gg]swift; 04-26-2004 at 07:28 PM.

No no, my point is the illegal use of photographs that are picked up from google, and re-sold over a template provider.

I have no issue with template sites selling over and over, that's upto them. But to use illegal images and music is a different story.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

A few stolen images are not so bad... The worst things come with the fact that many, many sites where build with cracked sofware.

You'll never stop any of this.

I don't plan to, but the authorities do.

Back to topic, it's not a few, it's every template!!
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

Quote Originally Posted by pmoduk2
    Back to topic, it's not a few, it's every template!!
    Whoa there sparky, that's a serious accusation you're levelling. Want to back it up with any proof?
    Kinkamono Internet Services - The Internet. Done Right.
    Dive In...

It's a fact, not an accusation. My proof is plastered all over template selling websites that I cannot name. Use your imagination and think of a few links.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

No, that's not proof. That's opinion. Yours.

I'm not defending template sites - far from it, I find what they do an exercise in cheapening the industry (my own opinion) - but stating that they sell stolen images without backing that up with any solid proof could be construed as libel were you to specifically name any sites, (just gotta hope their Australian. Why? Because libel there is just something attached to the side of a wine bottle. Oh come on, that was good!)
    Kinkamono Internet Services - The Internet. Done Right.
    Dive In...

It's a fact, not an accusation. My proof is plastered all over template selling websites that I cannot name. Use your imagination and think of a few links.
    Can you prove that they didn't purchase royalty-free rights to the images they use? You can get a membership at photos.com for like $100/yr and have access to thousands of imgaes which grant you rights to use them in that manner..

Originally posted by Trifolic
    Feel better?
    LOL he has been getting alot of things off his chest recently
    Shawn Ho
    Singapore Web Hosting Talk - http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com
    Singapore Soccer - http://www.singaporesoccer.com
    EMAIL - shawnho@sgwebhostingtalk.com