do people really use/like fantastico?

I look at web hosts that have fantastico and hosts that dont and I see that usually the case is that the hosts who offer fantastico often offer less bandwidth and storage space than hosts that dont wich is understandable because fantastico has many programs that need a database to run like mysql wich up uses resources.

What do people here think of fantastico vs other similar software like sitebuilder. Wich would attract a client more that is not that experienced in web design but wants to attempt to create a professional looking website. Fantastico has a few content management systems I've only really looked at about 2 and they give a database type of look i'm not really fond of. I know fantastico has a bunch of other scripts but just looking at the "create a site" aspect. Sitebuilder looks ok, wich do people on average find easier to use or attracts them more, or is there other software I havent mentioned.

Would a person go with a company that has fantastico knowing they would get less bandwidth/space?

I don't know that a correlation between fantastico hosts = less bandwidth can really be made. But...

I do know that folks like having it there. Even if it's just as a toy. People like features, even ones that they won't necessarily use. It's much like any other product.

My surround sound system has a *ton* of stuff that's jammed in it. I've never used 95% of it. But when I was shopping for it I did see all the features and thought 'Man, that's neat! I might use that someday!". Same with fantastico. It's a sales feature, quite honestly. Those that do use it might use it a little, but not to the extent that it's capable of.
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002

I like fantastico myself, and in fact find that it incourages me to learn more. I've been playing with PHPCoin the past few weeks. I'm been teasing myself to play with OSCommerce. And I've played with several of the other applications offered in fantastico.

I'm not familiar with sitebuilder. If I'm correct, it is just a webpage development program which is really something different, but could be very useful (especially for new webmasters and people in a rush).

i luv fantastico
    i not only run reseller stuff but run couple sites where i have heavy db usage and im constantly messin round with new scripts n stuff to suit my needs and its SO much easier to install 10+ phpbb installations or 20+ postnuke installations then by uploading. fantastico is a LIFEsaver (if u use it that is)

but i agree, its largely a sales feature where most clients only use it once or twice to install their scritps and it just collects dirt after.

We have fantastico on several of our reseller servers. It's one of those packages that clients like and use a lot or they just don't seem to use it at all.

As a company that has a lot of reseller and virtual clients I think it's worth every cent and would recommend it to any host out there.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

fantastico is great for easy installation of scripts, but there is one problem: the scripts provided aren't always the latest version. i'm not sure how often it's updated, but its installation of drupal for awhile (maybe still) was an old version.
    Adventures in Parenting.org - Are you a parent? Listen to the free podcast and sign up for the newsletter!

I hardly ever used it, but still, I like it to be there. It is more of a toy
    New site: www.talkutas.com

Our clients love it in most cases .. Its there, around for them to play with. We get installation/uninstallation notices , so we know that they are actively used across all our servers.

Yes, All our servers come with Fantastico

I like providing it for customers because it installs the script and database for them, less chance of getting an email saying I messed up my site tryng to install something, most people are intimidated when they have to set up the database manually and this takes aways a lot of the agony for them.

I messed with site manager the other day, very different program and it may be great for those that hate to make web pages but want a website. I do think it would be a good selling tool for many hosts though.
    Freckle Face
    http://frecklefacehosting.com

I like fantastico

I think fantastico is great. You cant get any easier than point and click (especially forums, which i use a lot) It's almost idiot-proof......almost

I like fantastico and i know my customers like it even if they dont use it much - but i dont really take it into consideration when offering space and bandwidth on packages

Seems like all our clients love it. Though few actually use it.

They just like having the option to.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Our clients love it so much, they install almost every script they can and leave it as is.

<deep sigh>......</deep sigh>
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Originally posted by net-trend
    Our clients love it so much, they install almost every script they can and leave it as is.

<deep sigh>......</deep sigh>
    Thanks for the laugh, I have a couple that have installed them all but they have all been good about uninstalling what they don't use.
    Freckle Face
    http://frecklefacehosting.com

well I think fantastico is cool but I also agree with Sizzly that it doesnt always have the latest version

For those hosts that DO offer fantastico with their packages do you also offer Unlimited MySql databases or how would you manage that? Limit databases with cheaper plans and offer unlimited with your "premium plan" or unlimited across all your plans? How do you work with that?

we offer fantastico and unlimited databases....So far no one has abused this though....

Usually when they start out they play around and add and remove forums and different portals but once they settle in they clean up and just keep what they need.
    Dimensity Web Enterprises - ..::host.exception.dimension::..
    dimensity.net | dimensity.biz | dimensity.info | support[at]dimensity.net

Our resellers tend to take more advantage of it than our regular clients, but the overall response for Fantastico is excellent. Folks who use it really love it, it is a great product, and their forum is also great.

I also love the product I have used it myself for my own silly sites.
    Hostito, Inc. - Web Hosting & Reseller Plans
    http://www.hostito.com
    [email protected] - 1 888 467 8486

Its a great value added service that can be provided, some clients may just opt for a web hosting service if it had somke extra features even though they didnt use it. Phpbb is one of the biggest communities some people loving having that software.
    All our clients really like it as well.

Yaser

Our customers love it.

<<< Signatures need to be set up in your profile. >>>
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 04-27-2004 at 05:53 AM.

We've had it for some time and its certainly an excellent feature to attract new clients. The concept isn't that it's perfect but that rather it's an easy "point and click" reference for beginners to use. For the advanced users who claim that it "isn't the latest version" they can open FTP and install the latest upgrade themselves.

For the price its offered at and the support given from them, we give them two thumbs up
    Geek 3 Computer Repair

I have never used it to install anything because I've never needed it, but I like to know it's there. Who knows when I might decide it's time to use it?