Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celeron vs P4?

Celeron vs P4?

How does Celeron compare to P4 when it comes to running applications? If a server has to do a lot of various processing, how would a Celeron compare to P4?

Would a 2.4 Celeron run on par with 1.4 P4?

Or may be 2.4 Celeron would be closer to 1 Ghz P4?

Half speed is a reasonable working estimate. Either of your guesses could be correct, depending on how the actual applications interact with the processor.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

The Celeron 2.4 would outperform the P4 1.4 but would not be matched to the P4 2.4. The Celeron 2.4 is exactly identical to the P4 2.4 CPU, the only thing that is different is the L2 cache on the CPU.

For basic needs the Celeron can actually work with no issue but if there is going to be a lot of processing than a fast CPU + more RAM would indeed help.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Wondering offtopic however: NEVER use a Celeron for webhosting. Frankly, Celerons tell your customers that instead of using quality, your are taking the-cheap-route. The least you should use for a hosting application is a 1.7 P4 regardless of traffic. At least a P4 (or an AMD or A p3 tulatin) doesn't carry a bad reputation. Perhaps I am a little crazy about this, but I sincerly believe that Celerons (oh yeah, and AMD-Durons) should not be used for hosting.

Now returning to the topic at hand...

Of course if you are offering web hosting services than you should use the fastest machine which is reasonable for that needs. But if you are like me and just hosting a few personal sites or a small or medium site than the Celeron would do fine.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Well...P4 is, of cause, better than Celeron of the same class. But Celeron 2.4 Ghz is more preferrable than P4 1.4

Originally posted by z280 Hosting
    Wondering offtopic however: NEVER use a Celeron for webhosting. Frankly, Celerons tell your customers that instead of using quality, your are taking the-cheap-route. The least you should use for a hosting application is a 1.7 P4 regardless of traffic. At least a P4 (or an AMD or A p3 tulatin) doesn't carry a bad reputation. Perhaps I am a little crazy about this, but I sincerly believe that Celerons (oh yeah, and AMD-Durons) should not be used for hosting.

Now returning to the topic at hand...
    I have to retort here and ask you: have you been using Celerons for a long time for webhosting? Have you done necessary tweaking on the servers to ensure a smooth run? I can assure you that Celerons are very good workhorses, provided you treat them properly, more RAM is a plus too. They can do wonders, if you know what you're doing and at a less cost. Your customers wouldn't care what you are using if things are running smoothly for them. You can provide crappy service even with the bleeding edge Xeons, Opterons, whatever. It's more important how you manage your hardware, software, that is, your resources. Four years ago there were no P4s, was there no webhosting then? I must say, you have an ungrounded prejudice against Celerons, I got this idea from reading your post. If you provided any proof to why you believe Celerons are no good, then it would be a more informative post. How about taking that challenge?

I would say that celeron is good for cheap solutions but p4 kicks it

Yeah, celeron is fine for if you want a cheap solution for maybe a few websites, but definantly not for hosting (unless you want to do the very minimal.)

Celeron are quite slow for webhosting. We end up swapping all the Cele out for P4 2.4, woh, what a big difference it makes...
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Originally posted by z280 Hosting
    Yeah, celeron is fine for if you want a cheap solution for maybe a few websites, but definantly not for hosting (unless you want to do the very minimal.)
    You keep repeating the same thing over and over without giving any grounded argument, which makes me think you don't have any. Alright then, I shut up here.

Re: Celeron vs P4?

Originally posted by MetaData
    How does Celeron compare to P4 when it comes to running applications? If a server has to do a lot of various processing, how would a Celeron compare to P4?

Would a 2.4 Celeron run on par with 1.4 P4?

Or may be 2.4 Celeron would be closer to 1 Ghz P4?
    A 2.4 Celeron would blow them both out of the water.

Lots of misconceptions about Celerons out there. Very good processor for the money. They are simply full-on pentium processors with limited bus speeds and limited cache to force them to be slower than full pentiums, hence they can be sold cheaper to compete with lower-priced processors. They're not so much slower that it's going to amount to 1Ghz worth of clock speed difference though!

One reason that Celerons in this game are often poor performers is that the celeron packages include lesser hardware...such as SDR memory instead of DDR. This has nothing to do with the Celeron itself though.

Personally I'd like to see more hosts offering Athlon XP processors. Then there'd be no need to debate P4 vs Celeron, because the XP provides more bang for the buck than either.

P.S. - it's pretty silly to tell your customers what kind of hardware they're on unless you're running dual xeon scsi systems.

Well slack, mysql will perform alot better with a larger cache size
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Please quantify "a lot". You'll be hard pressed to convince me that MySQL on a P4 1.4Ghz will run as well as MySQL on a Celeron 2.4Ghz (as suggested at the top of this thread) just because of the extra L2 cache. No one is arguing that the P4 isn't a better processor.

One of these thread's comes up almost everyday, and every time I say P4 way over Celeron.

I think all computers should be running AMD Athlon XP 2500+s (Barton). They're a steal and will handle your hosting junk fine
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; 04-26-2004 at 05:16 PM.
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

You can say that all you want, but if the P4 is overkill for the application, then you just had a guy waste $300-600 over the course of a year because of some ill-concieved notions about the actual performance of the Celeron processor.

I could recommend a supercomputer in every case and be absolutely correct. Sure 99.9% of your money will be spent idling, but it'll be hella fast if anything ever does happen.

Originally posted by Dan Grossman
    I think all computers should be running AMD Athlon XP 2500+s (Barton).
    Agreed. Best processor for the money right now by far.

XP 2500+ which can do a lot more than a Celeron 2.8 (4x the cache helps), $70 or less, versus $120 for the Celeron... crazy server sellers need to stop wasting money on Intel.

Originally posted by Dan Grossman
    XP 2500+ which can do a lot more than a Celeron 2.8 (4x the cache helps), $80 or less, versus $120 for the Celeron... crazy server sellers need to stop wasting money on Intel.
    Yep, I'm over at RS and headsurfer stated publically that he'd never deal with AMD processors again because of their bad luck with some Duron servers a while back. AMD gets pretty bad rep because of the machines they're installed into sometimes.

I hate AnandTech's search functions but I remember an article on their comparing the Duron to the Celeron and P4 and the Duron winning quite a few of the tests.

Athlons are cheap enough that you don't need to look at Duron anyway.

If they started using Athlons they couldn't charge a premium for P4's anymore. Celerons offer lower peformance at a lower price, that's why they use 'em.

I don't think AMD handles too many idling processes at the same time very well... at least that's what I have heard.

This is a very complex issue. you should check out arstechnica's CPU Theory & Praxis:
    http://arstechnica.com/cpu/index.html

back in the day of the P3, the celeron wasn't terribly crippled. Today the celerons are based off the P4 with their VLSI (Very Large Scale Integration) they really need the L2 cache to efficiently fill up the pipeline.

Forget the XP’s, I want to see the Opteron take the stage. 64-bit, just like the days of the MIPS R10k. Mmmmm… 1999 and 8way 64bit proc O2k’s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast