Pre-fab kernel vs. compiled?

Hi Hi!

Currently i'm in the process of upgrading one of my old boxes (we're talking a old 266 celly w/ no cache on her & 128MB of RAM). Currently shes running some stock 2.2 kernel that came with debian.

My question here is, is it worth the time (probably hours in this case) to roll my own, or do the packages on apt-get work well?

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

For anything system-essential, I compile it by hand. Maybe I'm just over-paranoid, but that significant of a kernel jump (2.2-2.6.5) would warrant a compile to me.

Debian apt-get upgrades work fine:

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-386

2.4.18 is currently the latest on the stable release not sure about testing/unstable although there are .debs now for 2.6 kernels

Originally posted by ijg0
    Debian apt-get upgrades work fine:

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-386

2.4.18 is currently the latest on the stable release not sure about testing/unstable although there are .debs now for 2.6 kernels
    My big question is, is there a performance hit from it though?

And for it being a celeron, I can use the 686 debs

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Yep you can use the 686 images with a cele

I doubt you will get a noticable speed difference unless you only compile the modules and options you need. IMO it is is best to stick with the deb's and make it quicker and easier to upgrade as security flaws / bugs are fixed.

Unless you have specific goals for the compile (dropping most modules, adding patches, etc.) or bleeding edge hardware, you won't see much gain from a custom build.

Also, you can build the kernel on another box and move it over to the Celeron. Of course, that assumes you have access to a meatier Linux box.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

What version of linux are you running? If you are running 6.2 or 7.1 it will be hard to go to a 2.4 kernel. You will need to do alot of upgrades to your system libraries. I would suggest going to the latest version of ver of the 2.2.x kernel tree which would be 2.2.26
    Jay

I like to compile by hand all of the kernels I use on servers. Except ones running redhat enterprise. Those I keep on the redhat kernels due to their new threading setup. I may start moving to self-compiled on those too though.

Why?

Just satisfying knowing that it's 'tuned' to what is necessary, and not more. You can also add cool stuff like grsecurity and other patches if you so desire.
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002