cPanel/HWM ingores MX records

We are converting form an Ensim server and have a problem with the new server which is WHM/cPanel based. WHM/cPanel appears to be ignoring the MX records. We have several web sites that the mail server is offhost. The MX records point to the different offhost mail server and off web site email is routed correctly. The problem is web site generated email is not routed to the offhost mail server. Effectively WHM/cPanel is ignoring the MX records for locally generated email. We even tried editing the /etc/localhosts file to remove the local host name to try and force cPanel to do a DNS lookup but it fails with a:
    unrouteable mail domain "failing_domain.com"

Ensim paid attention to the MX records so we are really stumped how to get it to work with cPanel. Does anyone know how to get cPanel to route mail correctly to an offhost email server?

THANKS!
    Don

What happens when you do:

host failing_domain.com

Also, what is in your /etc/resolv.conf?

Your Cpanel machine may be using itself to look up the mx records and not the correct dns servers.

It seems like your Cpanel server is getting the DNS information from where else. Try:

dig failing_domain.com MX

and

dig @localhost failing_domain.com MX

if DNS is also run locally. You basically should be having the box look somewhere else for DNS responses if it is generating its own [incorrect] DNS, and that is done with /etc/resolv.conf.

Also, knowing the failing domain name and the IP of your CPanel server will help greatly (pm me if you want).
    Alex Llera
    Professional Server Management
    FreeBSD|Linux|HSphere|Cpanel|Plesk

Alex thanks four your help!!!!

67.18.1.221 is IP of web site with cPanel that we are generating email form that we want to go to the MX record
    68.157.169.3 is IP of the remote mail server
    We want to be able to have the web server at 67.18.1.221 be able to send email to 68.157.169.3
    One note: The DNS is actually controlled by a DNS on the Mail Server, not the web server's DNS.

All below is from the web server:

/etc/resolve.conf is:

nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 67.18.1.196 (the primary IP of our server)
    nameserver 67.18.1.197 (the secondary IP of our server)
    nameserver 12.96.160.115 (the primary IP of The Planet's Name Server, our server provider)
    nameserver 216.234.234.30 (the secondary IP of The Planet's Name Server, our server provider)

# host millsfloral.com
    millsfloral.com has address 67.18.1.221

The following may be wrong, we originally
    # dig millsfloral.com MX

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> millsfloral.com MX
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 62093
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 3

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;millsfloral.com. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    millsfloral.com. 14400 IN MX 0 mail.millsfloral.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    millsfloral.com. 14400 IN NS ns.freedomnetworking.net.
    millsfloral.com. 14400 IN NS ns2.freedomnetworking.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    mail.millsfloral.com. 14400 IN A 68.157.169.3
    ns.freedomnetworking.net. 14400 IN A 67.18.1.196
    ns2.freedomnetworking.net. 14400 IN A 67.18.1.197

;; Query time: 1 msec
    ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
    ;; WHEN: Fri Apr 23 13:21:14 2004
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 158

The above may be in error. We originally had the MX record go to the IP address (not mail.millsfloral.com that is a A record for the mail server) because we were told that you should not use an IP address in the MX record as cPanel will ignore it and stay on the local host.

Alex, again THANKS for your time and help!
    Don

Your CPanel server has mail services running and is defaulting to local delivery instead of listening to MX records and deliverying remotely. If you don't need local mail service, disable whatever is running (Exim). If you do need it, try disabling mail service for that domain (that should remove it from that local web server and force the server to pay attention to MX and delivery remotely).

Hope that helps.

As clarification: "local mail service" means you need a mail server running on that machine. You can turn off Exim and still use the sendmail binary to mail things out.
    Alex Llera
    Professional Server Management
    FreeBSD|Linux|HSphere|Cpanel|Plesk

If you use an external mailserver, then cpanel will still send mails to the domain on the server, if the mail originates from the server!

Now that could be the issue.

Make sure the domain is not in /etc/localdomains

and add the domain to /etc/remotedomains

Restart exim

Originally posted by allera
    You can turn off Exim and still use the sendmail binary to mail things out.
    Sorry for the newbie level followup (we are converting from Ensim) how do you disable exim on only one domain on the server. Is this done in WHM/Cpanel?

I couldn't help but notice that FreedomNet's last post wasn't answered. This is something that I am exactly dealing with. While the service was positive, after 4 months of back and forth with my [unnamed] host, I finally only received the diagnosis of which I already knew. However, no solution was provided.

This thread sounds exactly what I need, however I also do not know how to disable email service for individual domains on Cpanel. I have a reseller account, so therefore the solution can only be done through either the WHM account or the individual domains. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

brownsville - Sorry, did not receive a response so I can not help.
    Freedom Networking Solutions, Inc.
    www.freedomnetworking.com

Quote Originally Posted by brownsville
    I couldn't help but notice that FreedomNet's last post wasn't answered. This is something that I am exactly dealing with. While the service was positive, after 4 months of back and forth with my [unnamed] host, I finally only received the diagnosis of which I already knew. However, no solution was provided.

This thread sounds exactly what I need, however I also do not know how to disable email service for individual domains on Cpanel. I have a reseller account, so therefore the solution can only be done through either the WHM account or the individual domains. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    I was in the same situation a few mins ago - I need to host the emails on external offsite provider and I cound not send emails from the server. I then removed the domain from /etc/localdomains and restarted exim - and guess, works fine!

About /etc/remotedomains I could not find such a file, but I created one - I think this file is not used by exim since i did not saw any reference in exim configuration file.

Exim uses the file /etc/localdomains if a sites URL is listed there it ignores the DNS zone and sends the mail local.

You can edit /etc/localdomains and remove the URL from it and it will fix the problem. The drawback is that anytime exim is updated or /scripts/mailperm gets ran the domain is added back to localdomains.

A quick way around the issue is to set the default mail in the cpanel for the domain to forward to the offsite mail box so that all local mail is forwarded to the off site mail server.

Quote Originally Posted by Techark
    You can edit /etc/localdomains and remove the URL from it and it will fix the problem. The drawback is that anytime exim is updated or /scripts/mailperm gets ran the domain is added back to localdomains.
    At the same time as removing the domain from /etc/localdomains, add the domain to /etc/remotedomains (create the file if needs be). The domains in remotedomains are never added back to localdomains even in an exim update or /scripts/mailperm
    Clook Internet - www.clook.net
    Fully managed UK based webhosting provider
    Est 2002, 24/7 phone support, all the bells and whistles!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_UK
    At the same time as removing the domain from /etc/localdomains, add the domain to /etc/remotedomains (create the file if needs be). The domains in remotedomains are never added back to localdomains even in an exim update or /scripts/mailperm
    I tried that a few times and still got added back so I gove up on it.

Might try again if it is working now.

Exim uses the file /etc/localdomains if a sites URL is listed there it ignores the DNS zone and sends the mail local.

That's bad... then I am going to run into problems ....

A quick way around the issue is to set the default mail in the cpanel for the domain to forward to the offsite mail box so that all local mail is forwarded to the off site mail server.
    But the offsite email address has the same domain... anytime trying to send from the same server to a local domain the mail will fail...

Has anyone other solution? I wonder how a control panel so popular and with rich features like cpanel does not support offsite email hosting .... this would be a bug..? I wonder then why the change MX entry appears in the menus... or there is another way?

Thank you

I tried that a few times and still got added back so I gove up on it.

Might try again if it is working now.
    I really hope this solves this big issue..

I have some good news after searchin in cpanel forums.

Cpanel automatically removes the domain from /etc/localdomains and puts it into /etc/remotedomains (if there is not such file, cpanel creates it) ONLY if you use Edit MX Entry (not edit dns zone) - so there is no problem sending emails from the local server.

I previously edited directly the dns zone that's why cpanel did not remove the domain from localdomains - this should be considered as a bug or missing functionality.

Now, if you do not anymore want to use the 3rd party email provider and change the MX entry back to domain.com then .... the things remain as previously : the domain is missing from localdomains and is still in remotedomains - that should be considered as a bug, you have to edit those files manually.

What if there is a cpanel update? I will be waiting for the following upcp and I'll keep you informed if localdomains is being rebuilt from the true domains...

Quote Originally Posted by tonyFF
    I have some good news after searchin in cpanel forums.

Cpanel automatically removes the domain from /etc/localdomains and puts it into /etc/remotedomains (if there is not such file, cpanel creates it) ONLY if you use Edit MX Entry (not edit dns zone) - so there is no problem sending emails from the local server.

I previously edited directly the dns zone that's why cpanel did not remove the domain from localdomains - this should be considered as a bug or missing functionality.

Now, if you do not anymore want to use the 3rd party email provider and change the MX entry back to domain.com then .... the things remain as previously : the domain is missing from localdomains and is still in remotedomains - that should be considered as a bug, you have to edit those files manually.

What if there is a cpanel update? I will be waiting for the following upcp and I'll keep you informed if localdomains is being rebuilt from the true domains...
    Be sure to submit any bugs or feature requests to the cpanel system here:

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net

Submit it as a feature request, and eventually (in 2 or 3 years) they'll think about implementing it.

Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Quote Originally Posted by nickn
    We're working on expediting these feature requests. Our developers have been focusing on finishing the new cpaddons system
    Snazzy!

You know what might be a good idea?

1) Get email addresses of all your clients.
    2) Send an announcement that you are interested in improving cpanel and you want their help to determine what features to add in what priority.
    3) Ask your clients to contact their own customers with the announcement to that "end users" can participate.

4) Give instructions to go to bugzilla, and how to search for features, and then how to "vote" for the features you want to see implemented first.

Then, after 2 or 3 weeks, cpanel will have a nice list of "UP TO DATE" feature requests, with voting all proper and nice.. and you'll know what your customer base wants first.

Added benefits:

- Your paying customers will think you care.
    - Your USERS will think you care.
    - You actually DO care
    - You'll get "real" info on what your actual users want and need, which will help cpanel provide what is wanted and needed instead of what YOU think is wanted and needed.

Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!