apache web server

i've looked around a bit and it looks like this is the best place for this post--sorry if it shouldn't be here.

i'm trying to figure out how to host a domain name from my win xp computer. i've set up apache, and i have a stable IP, and i have the domain name. when i tried to change the nameserver of my domain to my stable IP it said it was 'unable to verify existence of nameserver'.

i'm totally new to apache, and really i'm just trying to figure out what it does. i've spent hours looking for info on the net that will just show me how to use apache. all the sites assume that i already know how to make apache serve.

so far, i have a 'website' up under my IP. stuff in my htdocs folder shows up when you type in my IP online. what i really want is for that to show up when you type in my domain name.

i feel like i'm pretty close to this: can anyone help me out?

br

I think you should have a dns server software installed on your pc in order to use it as a name server.

Why don't you use a redirect to your static IP, instead of giving it as a nameserver ?
    YasHost.com
    Cheap Dedicated Servers - Fully Managed, cPanel/WHM Included FOR FREE

so apache cant' do what i want? are you sure?

i was looking through the apache help files and stuff... it keeps talking about virtural hosts, and though i odn't understand what it's saying, its talking about domain names and stuff.

b

Apache can only provide webhosting. You need a dns/nameserver for your domain name.
    The DNS/Nameserver gives the ip address for your domain name/apache server to the client requesting it which then connects to apache.

Originally posted by brentonboy
    so apache cant' do what i want? are you sure?

i was looking through the apache help files and stuff... it keeps talking about virtural hosts, and though i odn't understand what it's saying, its talking about domain names and stuff.

b
    The problem is not with apache. It's with the DNS configuration. Try learning more about the DNS and how it works.
    YasHost.com
    Cheap Dedicated Servers - Fully Managed, cPanel/WHM Included FOR FREE

If you are needing a dns server, you can find several providers of dns servers.

Karun
    <<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 04-23-2004 at 05:51 AM.

thanks so much for your replies. can anyone help me find a free dns server now? i assume there are people working on open source programs that do this, like linux and apache, no?

dyndns.org doesn't seem to have anything... besides i only speak english.

another thing: I shut apache down last night and hibernated my computer, and this morning when i fired it all back up again, apache won't load, says it cant find php4apache2. it was working before, and i didn't make any changes since then. strange, no?

stlem: "Try learning more about the DNS and how it works." can you reccomend me a website or anything to help out a beginner?

-b

dyndns can set you up a .ath.cx or mine.nu name

ha! i just realized the link ww.dyndns.org has only two 'w's, which pointed to a strange german site or something! *www*.dyndns.org is a much less confusing site!!

thanks for the links to that info, it was helpful.

so far as i understand it, when, in the past, i have bought a doman name, and had it hosted through some company, i have already used DNS servers.

let me see if i understand this right. when i buy hosting from a hosting company, i'm also buying DNS service. the DNS server takes domain name requests, and gives back the IP address. the difference between being hosted and serving your own website is that the IP points to the hosting companies computer instead of your home IP. is that right?

it looks like there are multiple dns servers out there that i can use for free. however, i am interested in turning my own computer into a dns server. on a $4 budget--and i already spent the $4 on my domain name--is it possible to set up a dns server? is it as simple as installing some dns software?

one more question: with a dns server, can i regester my own domain names?

again, thanks everyone for the answers and links, they've been really helpful!

-b

I used Apache 2.x to host my domain for testing.... used a service that updated my dynamic IP whenever i connected to the internet again. Then it updated the listed IP in their database. I used their nameserver and it sent the request to my computer with Apache.

Also... do you have a Firewall? That can mess it up.