Talking Counterstrike game server

I'm looking to start running my own high fps game servers.

Now if I have Dual Xeon's at 3ghz (2gb ram) and 5mbps, will I be able to run 300 people off that amount of bandwidth and system without lag?

Please share experiences with what you need to run multiple gaming servers on a server..

300 slots lol I think your dreaming a bit high there!!
    eXeGaming : Professional Gaming Organization

Angry

good thing that didn't help me...

I want to find out what i can do with dualxeon's and 5mbps unmetered.

that's over 1.5 terabytes i believe...

comon people!

Depending on the game, 5Mbps is probably more bandwidth than you will use. Also, its quality not quantity with games. You can have 100Mbps, and if its crap its crap.

Depending on the company you use, it might be wiser to buy a smaller amount, and ramp up as you grow.

As for the hardware, the only way to know is run it and see. There are way too many variables to say how many slots you can run.
    ManagedWay
    Connecting people through technology
    Cloud Computing | Fiber Optic Internet | Colocation

So who should i go with for this large hosting.

I want to rent powerful machine and have unmetered bandwidth of at least 4mbps because I want to run several 32-person(slot) game servers on the same machine.

I've seen good rate on ndctech.com and they are NYC..

Do easty US residents ping well to toronto? Would it be wise to set up servers in toronto? peer1.net has some good pricing I believe.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

For 32 players CS games, it only takes about 2 - 3 full games and that would start lagging. One of our 30 players game with ping booster sucks up about 90% CPU constantly.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

If you want to put 300 slots on a dual xeon 3.0 ghz. Get more RAM. You'll need 6GB+ to put so many. Also, a 32 player game server will use at least a mbit of bandwidth by itself. 5 Mbps unmetered does not = 1.5 TB because you're capped and you wont be able to burst past 5 mbps. I'd reccomend going with a per GB plan on a 10 mbit or 100 mbit port. Or if you colocate, go with at least 10 mbit unmetered. Also, in the future, try and spread the servers out. As in if you have 4 32 player games, 8 20 man and 8 10 man private servers, dont put the 4 32's on one server. Put it like this, 2 32's, 4 20's and 4 10 man privates. I hope this helped and good luck.

There are plenty of companies around that could work with you to get what you need. My advise would be to get two machines for your 300 players and go from there.

Thanks guys.. I appreciate the input..

So my best bet is to run two different servers to split the load for 300 ppl?

So does that mean that i'll need 2 Dual Xeon's with about 4gb's of ram each? Both with about 5mbps?

Originally posted by Mfjp
    For 32 players CS games, it only takes about 2 - 3 full games and that would start lagging. One of our 30 players game with ping booster sucks up about 90% CPU constantly.

What kind of system do you have that game running on?

A 32 player CS server will eat just about any servers shoes for lunch. If you are planing on getting 3+ 32 player servers, even on a dual CPU machine you are dreaming.

And as far as Raintechs comment about RAM........ RAM has about zero to do with CS servers unless of course you dont have any. Get a Gig and you will have more than enough.

I dont personally own a 3 Gig Dual xeon, but I would give a guess that you could run 4 to 6 20 player servers on it. Thats roughly 80-120 player slots.

You also need to keep in mind that running 3 20 player servers is NOT anywhere near the same thing as running 2 32 player servers. The total player number is close (60 Players with the 3 20 player servers and 64 with 2 32 player servers) However the 2 32 player servers will eat CPU like it going out of style.

If it where me I would run 1 32 Player server on a very high end single CPU machine. And only run just that one game.

If they where smaller servers (20 people and less) I would get a nice highend dual machine and mess with the total number count untill it works out for you. I personally run about 80 Player slots on a dual setup. This prolly seems low to alot of folks, but my servers are full alot and I dont enjoy CPU lag.

my 5 cents.

Oh and hi Mfjp

I run about 55 on a P4 2.4 with 512 RAM... a Dual Xeon should be able to handle much more
    hm what should I put in my sig?

The 32 Player CS game is running on a Dell poweredge 1750, Dual Xeon 2.4, 1GB ram, 36GB scsi. I'm not even sure if 2 x 32 would run fine on a single machine.

Hi 2 Guns, how is it going?
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Originally posted by ChaosHosting
    I run about 55 on a P4 2.4 with 512 RAM... a Dual Xeon should be able to handle much more
    I have a 26 person server on a P4/2.4 with 512m and don't have any load problems, at all.

I am not sure, those who are having the higher load issue, what else they are running.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Originally posted by 2Guns
    And as far as Raintechs comment about RAM........ RAM has about zero to do with CS servers unless of course you dont have any. Get a Gig and you will have more than enough.
    That is the craziest post about gaming i've ever seen. I answer quite a bit of gaming posts, and X-Gaming seems to know his stuff very well. RAM means everything when operating in the HLDS environment. In fact, a single processor machine could host over 100 slots depending on the size of every game server. 3 32 slots will crush it, but a bunch of 16 slots or something can hold 100 slots. But if you have only 1 GB RAM, you'll probably get a max of about 50 on it. Add a few more GB and you'll double it. That is why game server hosts like to own their own equipment. They save a lot of money in upgrades. RAM is quite expensive and for 8 GB, it can cost more than the server itself hehe. But in HLDS gaming it makes a HUGE difference.

First of all CS doesnt even Support 55 players so I have no idea what a few people are talking about.

And a 26 Player server running on a P4 2.4 without alot of plugins or mods would be just fine.

As far as the ram issue.............

A CS server takes around 60-120 megs of ram on startup.
    The Ram usage is different depending on maps and plugins.

If not watched it can continue to consume ram into the 300-600 Range. I have only seen this on servers that run for very long time without a restart or on servers with a memory leak.

Im currently running many servers with about 80 slots on each and with 1 Gig of ram. I have no problems.

Originally posted by 2Guns
    First of all CS doesnt even Support 55 players so I have no idea what a few people are talking about.
    55 players means a total of 55 slots on the machine (i.e five 11 slot servers), lol.

Like Mr. Sanders said, the best way to find out how many slots you can host on your machine is by just doing it. Pick up a P4 somewhere, and see how many slots you can host at your desired configuration. Other then that, there are just too many variables.
    Last edited by Rahil; 04-23-2004 at 07:09 PM.

Originally posted by ChaosHosting
    I am running a P4 2.4 and it had 512 ram but @ 40 players it was laggy as hell. I wonder how our configus are diff. I wound up upgrading to 1gb ram

Yea, 55 with 512 RAM is impossible.

I think you're very wrong here. Get in touch with Jake Wegg here on WHT, he works for **********. If there's anyone that knows there stuff about game servers, it's him. I've spoken to him numerous times and he's incredibly knowledgable when it comes to this stuff. If I remember correctly from an older post he was able to get a considerable number additional used slots on a single machine by upping his memory from 2gb to 3gb.

I wasnt looking for help. Ive been doing this for 3+ years and am well aware of what is required to run a very smooth game of CS.

That being said..........

I have no idea what OS, mods, plugins and hacks you are running on your servers, so with that in mind I have no idea what results you are getting.

I do however know what results Im getting.

Dual CPU AMD 2400+, 1 Gig Of ECC REG RAM, Ultra160 SCSI Hardrives. That is supporting 80 Slots lag free. It could do more but I like to keep the CPU usage under 70%.

Originally posted by Rahil
    Yea, 55 with 512 RAM is impossible.
    Not impossible at all, I run it fine with no lag problems at all. Hosted at Nocster btw
    hm what should I put in my sig?

For a 32 player game, it eats about 150MB or so of ram, it looks like RAM have not much to do with slots, unless you hit the limit and it start swapping. I'm not sure about the smaller games though.

That is the craziest post about gaming i've ever seen. I answer quite a bit of gaming posts, and X-Gaming seems to know his stuff very well. RAM means everything when operating in the HLDS environment. In fact, a single processor machine could host over 100 slots depending on the size of every game server. 3 32 slots will crush it, but a bunch of 16 slots or something can hold 100 slots.
    Given the choice between extra ram or more CPU, take more CPU.

HLDS needs more CPU power not more ram.

I doubt ANY dual xeon could comfortably support 300 active game clients at a time.

So are you claiming that a single CPU machine can host 6 FULL public 16-man servers at the same time with no lag?

YOU ARE DREAMING
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

LOL.. It all depends on the map, the mods, etc.. where the players are.. how many they are..... the CPU usage increases almost exponentially once you get to a certain number of players... a 32 player server is BAD.. I would limit the max to 16 or 24 or something... also check out www.coloquest.com for chicago bandwidth for good pings for your game server