Thread: About RedHat9

About RedHat9

Ok well Isnt redhat gonna stop giving updates for redhat 9 and put more work into fedora and enterprise or what is happening and if i am right how can i upgrade to fedora??

Red Hat 9 official support is ending with this month yes. However I read somewhere that critical fixes generally will be made available. If that is not enough there are legacy update projects for Red Hat 7+ that supports Red Hat 9. Fedora is NOT as such Red Hat, it is a community driven Linux distro supported by Red Hat but Red Hat is not developing it (they only make RHE now). There are also upgrade projects (up2date compatible) projects for Fedora I think. Basically you will be able to get support and updates for Red Hat 9 for a loooong time yet :-)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think you will gain much, if anything, upgrading a server from Red Hat 9 to Fedora - Fedora is more of a desktop distro than Red Hat 9 is. I think stability is pretty much the same.

Correct, Red Hat is only sponsoring the Fedora Project. It will be awhile before the first public version will be released, Fedora just released Fedora Core 2 test2. Fedora is free software and itís more generally pointed to beginners and using Linux. I would stay with Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

The Fedora Project: