urgent help needed for DNS!

The DNS server has space for 4 lines/addresses.
    I have sites at two different web hosts, old and new one.
    To make sure the site is served, can I put the 2 addresses of each host in the DNS server?
    Last edited by Alsenor; 04-22-2004 at 10:32 PM.

SOMEBODY here must know that!

Please tell me, someone!

Sure, you can do that. Anytime the primary and secondary aren't available, it will look at the third DNS server, which in your case, would point to your old site.
    Thank You,
    Chad McCan
    www.bluevirtual.com
    www.bvgamer.com

Thanks for the advice!
    The new host has the index page up, but no linked page is working yet, nor is anything fed by the database.
    What happens if the user is pointed to one host, and only some pages work?

Hi,

I think what will happen is nothing, the domain is pointed to the server, and regardless of whats happening on your server or what you have up or not up is irrespective of the *dns system*.

The only thing that makes a difference to how your domain name is resolved is if one of the name servers is not working. Then it will go to the secondary for information and if that is pointing somewhere else then that is where it will go.

HOpe that helps.

I myself know how frustrating it is to learn about the DNS system. Once you understand it then its easier.

Yup you can.

When you say "nothing" happens, do you mean
    nothing - the user only gets to see the pages that are up on the host he was sent to, and no more
    or:
    nothing - he gets to all pages that work on that host, and if he runs into a page that is not working there he gets referred to the next pointer address?

Pretty hard to imagine, but what do I know...

When you put in multiple servers for your domain's nameservers, they are picked at random to use for lookup when people are resolving your domain into an IP address to connect to. So, if you put in your old host and your new host, people visiting your site will randomly get either server. Everything should work if you have duplicated content on either server, but emails may get sent to one and not the other, so you may end up missing half your email. Same goes for any sort of dynamic section of your site, such as a forum.

What you should do is this:
    -On your old host: Put up a "we're moving message" for any dynamic sections of your site, put email forwarders in place to forward your email to someone like hotmail or yahoo!mail
    -Copy your files and databases from your existing host to your new host.
    -Change the nameservers for the domain to those of your new host
    -Restore everything to your new host using any temporary login information they provide.
    -Wait 2 days for people to get to your new host, and everything should be A-OK

This method will minimize loss of mail and content added via dynamic scripts.
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

Thanks for the detailed advice.
    What I have done meanwhile is this:
    1. I left the DNS to point to my old server.
    2. I restructured my site to fit the new server, and tested it thoroughly on my IIS localhost,
    3.uploaded it to the new host.
    4. when all runs well on the new one (checking with temporary URL)
    5. change the DNS data and put a redirect on my old server.

Should be okay, right?

Even I have been trying this for some time.... putting different NSs. And the major problem is that you ill get some mails on one server and some on other.. so you have to keep a track on both of them to get your mails....
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Exactly, ergo my resolution for next time.