Looking for Experience In Linux

Wasn't 100% sure where to put this.... so move it if its in the wrong spot.

I am looking for a volunter job to help me learn linux and like cPanel/Ensim/Plesk ect.

I really only know my way around cPanel as a customer, umm and anything I know about hosting is from being around here and wht. I mean I am not an idiot but I can't program servers and stuff like that, thats what I would like to learn, so that one day I might own my own business or work for one.

AIM - pickledogbone
    email - [email protected]
    MSN - [email protected]

Thanks,
    Steve
    Reyox Communications - Powerful, Reliable Hosting
    GameHostingTalk - A new forum about Video Game Servers

Here's some ideas:
    - Act more professional. Try to sound confident in everything you do, and make your usernames, sigs, and everything make you sound mature. This will give people a better first-impression.
    - Learn HTML, XHTML standards, CSS, designing with tables, designing with div's, and basic graphic work with GIMP.
    - Learn basic PHP so you have a grasp on what coding is.
    - Get a reseller account and play around in WHM so you know what cPanel's upper level is like.
    - Install phpBB and learn to skin it. Do the same with other scripts to make yourself able to think for yourself.
    - Develop a broad array of skills, then find one that you feel proficient in, and improve upon it -- this is where internship is helpful.

Try those and see how your work progresses.

Edit: Regarding Linux and a Business

Once you have a better grasp on the internet in general, I would recommend getting a cheap PC for home and installing Linux. Get a trial version of cPanel and install it on the box, then administer it like you would a server. This will give you the basic abilities needed to progress. I wouldn't recommend going into a business at all, since it takes a ton of work and know-how.. consider it again in a year or two and you'll realize how much better off you are.
    Last edited by Dan L; 04-22-2004 at 08:51 PM.

Once you have a better grasp on the internet in general, I would recommend getting a cheap PC for home and installing Linux. Get a trial version of cPanel and install it on the box, then administer it like you would a server. This will give you the basic abilities needed to progress. I wouldn't recommend going into a business at all, since it takes a ton of work and know-how.. consider it again in a year or two and you'll realize how much better off you are.
    Well put.

Going along with what Dan is saying about being more professional I looked at your sig and (though I am not a huge fan of rap) I would not call people that listen or write rap retards.

Also, you spelled poetry (poerty) wrong in your sig.
    (kind of ironic considering you are calling other people retards)
    Last edited by alvinks; 04-22-2004 at 09:15 PM.
    Alvin

Lol. I don't like rap either, but they do make good music (they make millions right??)

Originally posted by alvinks
    Going along with what Dan is saying about being more professional I looked at your sig and (though I am not a huge fan of rap) I would not call people that listen or write rap retards.

Also, you spelled poetry (poerty) wrong in your sig.
    (kind of ironic considering you are calling other people retards)
    Thats just a tiny typing error thanks for telling me I hit the one key first a lot.

Also to dan, I know HTML can make tables can do a lot with photoshop, know some PHP, and I have skinned a PHPBB before the PHPBB was a while back but I have done just about everything you listed there, almost forgot I also had a reseller account for a few months.

I was thinking about that box idea last night, we should be getting a new comp soon it's like 6 years old I figured take that and put some minor upgrades into it to make it run a little smooth.
    Reyox Communications - Powerful, Reliable Hosting
    GameHostingTalk - A new forum about Video Game Servers