hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Colocation and Data Centers : QWEST Network & Sales Rep?

Forum Jump

QWEST Network & Sales Rep?

Reply Post New Thread In Colocation and Data Centers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Web Hosting Master

QWEST Network & Sales Rep?

Hello,

I would like to know what everyone’s opinion is on the Qwest IP network. How does their network compare to the other major backbones? How are their peering agreements, ping times, latency, and other static’s compared to other networks, even the premium networks such as MCI? How do they compare to the lower end networks such as Cogent, Wintel, and others? If you had to pick a provider that was similar to qwest, who would you choose?

I am located in Houston. By judging the Qwest network map to many other backbone network maps, Qwest seems to have the most links in and out of Houston (http://www.qwest.com/about/qwest/net..._IP_011403.jpg). There are 10 to be exact. The most I have seen from other providers was about 3-4 links out of Houston. This is the main reason why I am interested in Qwest, as I believe it will help performance if I have 10 links to other major cities.

Another question I have is qwest seems to have two different ASN networks. Is a bad thing

Does anyone know of a good sales rep for Qwest, and what is a good price for bandwidth from Qwest?

Thank you,
Kyle Leissner

Last edited by KyleLC23; 04-22-2004 at 07:36 PM.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2004, 08:41 PM
WHT Addict

Qwest probably falls about middle of the line compared to other networks. Price to performance they aren't nearly the best. The major problem with Qwest, however, lies in the fact that Qwest seems to have massive planning problems and can't stay the course on a line of action with anything. They close pops, open pops, and sorta-close pops....then reopen some. They exit markets and then market to providers that they will come back to the market for enough bandwidth. They are closing several of the large data centers built during the boom.

The liability, above network performance, lies in the ability to maintain a connection at the point you choose to connect to them. Try to stay as close to the Qwest HOU core router as possible. They won't exit Houston, nobody would, but they might contract the network's footprint within the market. Ask pointed questions and confirm the answers with provisioning people.

Prices for Qwest should be sub $50 for small bandwidth. Of all carriers, they like ethernet (gigE and 100mbps) the least, so get ready to look at some OC-x cards.

As far as sales reps, can't help you there. They lay them off too fast.

Old 04-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Web Hosting Master

Although I have no experience with Qwest, but I used to hear people say Qwest IP is just like a phone line: You pick it up, and there's always a dial tone.

West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2004, 03:55 PM
THE Web Hosting Master

Wait, people have had phone lines with Qwest that actually had good reliability? I got screwed, but I guess I only used them for long distance. It took them about a week to set it up, had no long distance during that time, then, a year and a half later I switched long distance carriers, but they kep billing me the base monthly fee. Note: It was a one year contract.

I've honestly had better luck with their bandwidth than their phone service :-)

Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Old 04-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Web Hosting Master

What I am wondering is do you think it would be smart for me to get qwest becasue they have like 4 OC192's and 6 OC48's from their Houston location? In most networks Dallas is the major Hub for Texas, but Qwest seems to be the one exception, the major Hub is Houston, not Dallas. I am wondering if you think I would have better peering, and times becasue Qwest Houston has more links?

Thank you,
Kyle Leissner

Old 04-23-2004, 05:28 PM
THE Web Hosting Master

More links doesn't mean more peering, but it might mean quicker transport between Houston and the peering points. I honestly don't think anyone here could comment 100% accurately unless they had Qwest bandwidth IN Houston. From what I've seen, Qwest isn't bad bandwidth, but there are a good number better than them at that price point for most locations, can't say anything specific about Houston though.

Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Old 04-23-2004, 05:30 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Qwest

For overall quality, rates and services, Qwest is the best for domestic voice services. For data, Qwest is above average (domestically). You have to look at MCI (formerly WorldCom) since they run over the UUNET backbone as well. I'd look at the following companies and decide, then see who resells these companies and try to get a better rate. Just make sure that particular reseller you choose holds up on their SLA's and doesn't oversubscribe their lines.

Global Crossing, AT&T, Sprint, Qwest, XO Communicatins and MCI.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Mark Seemueller
Consultant
www.associatedsalesgroup.com
markseemueller@aol.com

Old 04-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Web Hosting Master

"it might mean quicker transport between Houston and the peering points"

This is what I basically meant, does more links to direct cities equal less hops and faster speeds? For example, Qwest has a direct link from Tampa to Houston, would it be faster on the qwest network compared to Level3 where you have a few cites in the link?

Thanks,
Kyle Leissner

Old 04-23-2004, 06:16 PM
Web Hosting Master

It means more direct route in geographic means if the data is carry on it's own network.

West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

Old 04-24-2004, 03:47 PM
Web Hosting Master

So I guess choosing Qwest would be a wise decesion then for Houston.

Does anyone have any contact with someone at Qwest, I need a sales rep, and a good one at that

Thank you, Kyle Leissner

Old 04-24-2004, 04:13 PM
Web Hosting Master

You gonna be able to Ride the Light when you signup with Qwest

Old 04-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Web Hosting Master

I agree, Qwest is middle road. They tend to have more network issues that most, but have decent sized network.

"Your data... always within reach"

Old 04-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I have not had dealings with Quest for a while now (over 3 years) but was a OC3 customer for about 2 years before that. I would say performance was about par. Not bad. Not Great. The NOC was hit and miss back then. Some times you called and you had a clueful network admin with access to the routers, sometimes you had a buzz word compliant message taker.

For bandwidth in Houston I have always like the Level3 network. Always seamed to be working will, they are quick to respond about DDOS issues, and had semi clueful techs answering the phones. I would say UUNet/MCI/Worldcomm is either tied with them or a close second. Sure they are expensive but that bandwidth sure rocks!

As for looking at their connections map's and trying to draw a conclusion about performance from that...... Well you would start there. Then you would look at the BGP tables and see what goes where. Then a million other things to relly try and gauge the value of the network performance.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:41 PM
WHT Addict

Re: QWEST Network & Sales Rep?

Quote:
Originally posted by KyleLC23

Does anyone know of a good sales rep for Qwest, and what is a good price for bandwidth from Qwest?

Richard Becker handles the Pacific Region. I'm pleased with him. If he can't help you, he can turn you on to someone you can.

richard.becker@qwest.com
(818)227-3961

Old 04-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Disabled

Karl Zimmerman wrote *Wait, people have had phone lines with Qwest that actually had good reliability? I got screwed, but I guess I only used them for long distance. It took them about a week to set it up, had no long distance during that time, then, a year and a half later I switched long distance carriers, but they kep billing me the base monthly fee. Note: It was a one year contract.

I've honestly had better luck with their bandwidth than their phone service :-)

Not me, the opposite. The dedicated LD was amazingly cheap and worked with no issues, the IP was a different story, with less than 1% of routes, there was too much peering and the SLA's could not be met due to problems and latency at the peer points.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Exabytes Network (Singapore) Pte. Ltd. Listing 2014-07-13 23:24:14
XO Communications Names Christopher Ancell CEO Web Hosting News 2013-11-26 15:48:10
HostingCon and the 6 Keys to Improving Sales Results Blog 2013-06-19 09:21:16
EarthLink Opens Data Center and Sales Office in San Jose Web Hosting News 2013-06-13 15:48:21
New Partnership Deal Allows InterNetX Resellers to List Domains on Sedo Network Web Hosting News 2012-09-06 16:01:48