managed.com - my experience

ok I'll try to get some updates as of how managed.com performs for a new account. I picked managed.com primarily cause of the price and the amount of bandwidth they provide for so little cost. I must admit I am a niewbie as far as dedicated servers are concerned and my needs are to host 4-5 medium sized websites that are on the virge of becoming too big for shared hosting (users complaining about performance). I read various reviews in here some very bad and some quite positive.

I ordered a dedicated server this morning (GMT+2). I received a confirmation e-mail within the hour explaining that I had to send the payment for CPanel activation via paypal. Since I don't have paypal I e-mailed them back asking how I should proceed. Because I wasn't sure that the reply to the message was sent to the right person I also sent an e-mail to their sales department.

The sales department responded within a few minutes asking for my order confirmation. Since I was here I replied immediately and they got back to me almost instantly saying that I can also do the CPanel purchase by credit card. A few minutes later I got another reply from a different person (this came as a responce to the reply I sent to the original e-mail) explaining that cc's can be used for Cpanel activation and that my credit was approved and that I'll have the server available within 24-48 hours.

So far so good. I'll post a reply to this topic as updates come in.

glad to hear your not having any problems
    Ben S.

an hour ago I received an e-mail that the server is up and running. that was less than 24 hours. haven't had a chance to test it yet cause I'm at work.

Now that your server is still new, i'd suggest you to ask them for a new partition scheme. You might notice the default partitiion scheme isn't that nice (7GB for /, /usr, /var, etc). You might want to make the / /usr /var to a lesser number so you have more room for webhostingstuff.

and if you're not familiar with linux and don't want to compile a new kernel, you can ask them to give you a new kernel too.

New kernel ?

I wan't aware that they'd do this for you (or is this a chargable extra ?)

still haven't accessed it so I dont know the configuration. what kernel should I request?

I used to have a server with managed. They were quite relable.

managed.com is great ,for me ,they even upgraded into new kernel when i asked them. they are great!

and they done it within 5 min from the moment i asked them to do it!

Originally posted by monaghan
    New kernel ?

I wan't aware that they'd do this for you (or is this a chargable extra ?)

No, it doesn't cost you anything, but I didn't take that offer though.
    They offered it to me when I asked something about it. But they offered kernel 2.4.25, i've already patched mine to 2.4.26 so...

I think you should ask them to get you 2.4.26 if you want.