Exclamation Space News :: Hubble spies rare "cosmic ring of fire."

Article extract >>

The Hubble Space Telescope has seen a brilliant circle of bright blue stars in a rare example of a "ring galaxy" - the result of a galactic collision.
    The galaxy is larger than our own Milky Way and lies far away in the direction of the southern constellation Dorado.

This image was released to commemorate Hubble's 14 years of working in space.

Earlier this years the US space agency Nasa said that there would be no more manned servicing missions to Hubble, a decision that will limit its lifespan.

Galactic collision

The galaxy, catalogued as AM 0644-741, is a prime example of a ring galaxy.

Ring galaxies are the result of galactic collisions that dramatically change the structure of the galaxies involved while also triggering the formation of new stars.

Such galaxies are created in a particular type of collision, in which one galaxy plunges directly through the disc of another.

In the case of AM 0644-741, the galaxy that pierced through the ring galaxy is out of the image but visible in larger-field images.

The shock of the collision drastically changed the orbits of stars and gas in the galaxy's disc, causing them to rush outward.

As the ring traveled outward gas clouds collided and were compressed. Then they contracted under their own gravity to form brilliant new stars.

The vigorous star formation explains why the ring is so blue because of its hot, young, blueish stars.

Another sign of robust star formation are the pink regions along the ring which are clouds of glowing hydrogen gas, fluorescing because of the strong ultraviolet light from the newly formed massive stars.

Theoretical studies indicate that the blue ring will not continue to expand forever. After about 300 million years, it will reach a maximum radius, and then begin to disintegrate.

End extract <<

For image :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3650213.stm

Last time when there was a a comet being vaporised into a cloud of gas, the image wasn't what we would've liked but here things are a bit different.

hmm, interesting

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

I've always been interested in space, and do infact have my own telescope (packed up at the moment). Thats a great image and a very interesting explanation to go with it.

I hope Hubble, and the telescopes that replace it in the future, continue to produce pictures showing the many great views of our universe.
    Steve

I've found this picture if anyone is interested, looks a better one, well bigger and the right one as well i hope.

http://imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hu/db/2...ormats/web.jpg

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info