Question About DNS

Hello,
    Im new @ DNS - Can some1 help me pls...
    My webhosting provider just created me a DNS for free & i wanna know if i still have to pay & register at my domain name providder, or i just go straigh in & add my new DNS in there ?? n1.domain.com ns2 ..... ???
    They already set me a DNS & dunno if i still have to register for my own ????
    Sorry for my bad english
    Johnny N.
    AIM: aTx512bOi
    E-mail: [email protected]

You need to register your DNS servers. If your host is providing you the DNS servers you will probably only need to enter them where the fields allow.

Your saying DNS but do you mean domain? Do you mean to say that they set up a www.yourcompany.com for you?

If the answer is yes then your done they have that handled.

On the other hand if you have your own dns server control. Then you may have ns1.yourcompany.com, ns2.yourcompany.com.

That makes you look more proffessional but it is slightly more difficult to set up. If that is the case then you would need to go to a registrar like http://www.godaddy.com and set up your HOST SERVERS to point to your dedicated Name Servers that they created for you. There is another section for Name Servers which is where you might be putting your customers domain information in the future.

I might be over complicating it. Try just typing www.yourcompany.com if it is a page not found then you need to do some work if you see an under construction page then you should be in business....
    Last edited by comfixit; 04-22-2004 at 05:25 PM.

Ow.. you might have been confused by the words "register name server". RELAX you don't have to pay anything extra for it. You just have to add it at your registrar and is free of charge. If you can't do it, you can ask your host to do it for you

Regards,