Arrow NEWS :: Thousands involved, 2 Trains carrying oil and liquefied petroleum gas collide

Article extract >>

Thousands of people are reported killed or injured after two trains carrying oil and liquefied petroleum gas collided in a North Korean train station.

A state of emergency has been declared, according to news agencies.

It is believed the disaster happened hours after the country's leader Kim Jong Il passed through the area on a return from visiting China.

The number killed or injured could reach 3,000 following the huge blasts, said YTN, South Korea's all-news cable channel.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency, quoting sources in the Chinese city of Dandong that borders the North, said the explosion took place at Ryongchon.

It was nine hours after Kim passed through on his way back to Pyongyang.

Ryongchon is about 12 miles from the Chinese border.

"The area around Ryongchon station has turned into ruins as if it were bombarded," Yonhap quoted its unnamed sources as saying.

"Debris from the explosion soared high into the sky and drifted to Sinuju," a North Korean town on the border with China, it added.

Yang Jong-hwa of South Korea's Unification Ministry, which is in charge of relations with North Korea, could not immediately confirm the reports.

End extract <<

For more info :: http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...066618,00.html

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Wow, 3,000 people killed, that's very serious, surely there should've been enough security, safety, etc. to make sure trains do not collide?! There really shouldn't be any shortcomings when we're dealing with potential explosions and such. Quite a disaster.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

Well 3000 is the figure for injured and killed at the minute remember, it will be some time yet before we get any reliable or accurate information out of Pyngyang or North Korea i think. The South Korean Unification Ministry won't even confirm that it has happened yet according to reports.

You talk about security and safety but even the 1st world nations have major train incidents and collisions but i do think something mustive gone wrong here. We might not agree with their system of government or style but they're not a nation of idiots, now we have no details as yet but i reckon that one of the trainshad stopped at one of the platforms, then the other train approaching the station derailed at some speed with one or more of the wagons carrying the oil or petroleum gas jackknifing and then careering into the other train [and wagons] sideways on creating a real mess and this disaster through a devastating chain reaction along the line.

What's North Korea time wise? let's say they are 8 hours ahead of BST or 9 of GMT, for all these people to be at or near the station and it still being light then this must 've happened in the late morning between 9am and 11am [at the latest] GMT don't you think or am i totally off?

Eithe way, not good news

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Well, I'm sorry for the loss of life, but this IS North Korea where millions of people live in poverty and the country is strapped for cash.

I'm not really surprised.
    TradeViceroy