Question webhosting market in Singapore?

Hi,

Where can I find some market research or advices of being expand our business to Singapore?

check the sg based webhost forums.
    www.sgwebhostingzone.com

Try http://www.hardwarezone.com to get a feel of the IT market also. Currently Singapore is dominated by 3 major ISPs, Singnet, Pacnet and Starhub. Personally I find it extremely saturated and not an easy market being highly developed, one of the most connected country in the world. But one can always find one's niche if you work hard enuff. Word of caution, Singapore bandwidth is extremely expensive, there are still some unmetered datacentres around but imagine 1 rack sharing 1 mbps or 5 racks sharing 2 mbps. For dedicated bandwidth I can get at least 20mbps from cogent for 1mbps I get from Singapore.

Currently Singapore is encouraging gaming companies to setup, therefore there are incentives for gaming developers hosting. If u are into this area Good for u!

I agree with boonchuan that the singapore market for high-tech web hosting is like a dead zone for new investor unless you have a huge backing to support you financially. This is especially so when the government would control the amount of competition in the country.

However, to my personal experience, there are also means to make things work. I realise that many of the big firms are too focused on providing technology but lack of the service element. In other words, there is no "organisation" in making the whole web hosting experience a complete and smooth one.

I would believe an investor to bridge this gap will be a wiser choice. Don't bang with the giants, just tag with them and they will make your start a smoother ones.

Just my opinions.

Originally posted by RapidFire
    check the sg based webhost forums.
    www.sgwebhostingzone.com
    Thanks RapidFire

nowisph if you got any questions feel free to let me know, I will try to help.
    Shawn Ho
    Singapore Web Hosting Talk - http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com
    Singapore Soccer - http://www.singaporesoccer.com
    EMAIL - [email protected]

You can't expect much in a small market. Purchasing power could be strong but who needs few websites unless someone who is 'hosting fetish'

Very much saturated market... China would be a better choice

hmm... China requires a value-added ISP license to run web hosting company, 1 million RMB capital to get approval, also you can't own more than 50% of the company if you're foreigner.

Is it the same case even if you rent do a colo/delicated server in China but based your company somewhere else?

Since it is more important where the server based rather than bussiness, i would say for a penetrate into a market.

Just something that pop up of my mind

Well, not neccesarily you must have a presence in China in order to do business in China.

Internet is borderless isn't it? We don't have business registered in US but we are still serving US clients.

Precisely. Internet is borderless. Thus, I was thinking why there is no one getting a server in china or india for an alternative?

Well Just pop up my mind

Originally posted by UltraUnixNET
    Internet is borderless isn't it? We don't have business registered in US but we are still serving US clients.
    I'm not sure but isn't it illegal in some countries?

China's ISP require a business license if you colo in their facilities, and they don't offer dedicated servers, only the webhosts does, but still... it's hard to obtain a business license if you're a foreigner.

A few China based ISP did open their facilities in Hong Kong, and the network is directly connected, ping is lower than 30ms for China's users, is that an opportunity since obtain a business license in Hong Kong is much easier?

Why only target in Singapore? Aim global and also advertise in popular singapore forums to get attention of sg users.

Can put servers in HK and try the China market , huge potential down there. 1% of the China market wow worth the entire Singapore market easily I think....esp they love to built forums and forums takes up space

check out http://www.sgwebhostingtalk.com
    with so many of the singapore providers there, you can't go wrong.