(more) Windows problems, please, please help!

I know WHT might not be the best place to post this, but as their seem to be qiute a few experts around - I wondered if anyone can help....

I recently formatted my harddrive through dos, which I have done many times. When I came to installing XP Pro; starting with the floppy disk, I found that setup performed a disk check (no problems), and then just froze on a screen with the words "setup is inspecting your hardware's configuration". I left it on here for about 2hrs, and there was still no change. I have installed XP using this method many many times, and there has never been any problems. Why now?!

I also tried setting up Windows ME, using the floppy disk, but this time it froze on the screen "Windows is copying the files needed for setup".

I spent all day yesterday trying to sort this - with no success. If anyone can help I'd be incredibly grateful!

Thanks in advance,
    Jon

Re: (more) Windows problems, please, please help!

Originally posted by jonathanbull
    I know WHT might not be the best place to post this, but as their seem to be qiute a few experts around - I wondered if anyone can help....

I recently formatted my harddrive through dos, which I have done many times. When I came to installing XP Pro; starting with the floppy disk, I found that setup performed a disk check (no problems), and then just froze on a screen with the words "setup is inspecting your hardware's configuration". I left it on here for about 2hrs, and there was still no change. I have installed XP using this method many many times, and there has never been any problems. Why now?!

I also tried setting up Windows ME, using the floppy disk, but this time it froze on the screen "Windows is copying the files needed for setup".

I spent all day yesterday trying to sort this - with no success. If anyone can help I'd be incredibly grateful!

Thanks in advance,
    I've seen this happen on a few older system. Strip it down to just the drive and video card and disable all on board devices (sound, nic). Install XP and then re-enable one at a time.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Thanks for your reply.

I'll give that a go later, probably as a last alternative. The system is very new, as all the components are very up-to-date.

Thank again.
    Jon

I have seen this happen many times before. The primary problem has been memory. First, try reseating your memory chips. If that does not work, try installing with only 1 memory chip in place if you have more than one.

Do a manual scandisk in ms-dos mode by typing scandisk /all and press enter.

Download all installation files from the cd to a folder on C: drive [the drive where you want to install Windows]

Run Windows set up bypassing scandisk : type setup /is and press enter [/is is for by passing scandisk]