Thread: LA DataCenters

LA DataCenters

Hello, I have been reading over some of the threads about DataCenters and I thought I would try out making one for myself and seeing if I can receive any good input/advice as I was coming up short searching or maybe I was just not searching hard enough.

I am basically asking for any input on a GOOD dedicated server host/DC in the Los Angeles, CA area. I currently have a server with CALpop and I am not impressed at all and would REALLY like to find another provider to dump a South-West US location on.

I am in need of bandwidth more than anything else, at least 500gb/m with a price range of $100-$200 per machine.(I can go more, just depends on the quality of the DC). I am not looking for a beefed up machine either as it is not required.

If anyone can suggest some good DataCenters in the LA area, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and patience if I have created a new post on an already recently covered thread/topic.

Do you have your heart set on LA? or would you look as far north as San Jose/San Fran and south to San Diego? This would really open up alot more options for you to explore.

XO Communications has a true DC in Orange county (Irvine) prices, product and support is solid. You will only find good Colo in downtown LA, because the space cost is so high.

CalPOP is in LA, i am happy with their connection/support

They have people who actually answer the phone. When you need a reboot they'll talk to you on the phone as they do it... Unlike managed who never answers the phone :-X
    Robin Alex
    At your service....

Check out atjeu.com or insiderhosting.com (steve).

They are at Arizona / LA ... both are good providers!

If your looking for Tier2 carriers,
    http://ipowerweb.com/products/dedica...ver/index.html
    are #1.

adidasrta: My experience is exactly the opposite, I have had 2 machines with them for months. The downtime has been horrible, especially during the fires and what not going on in LA. They supposedly have diesel backup, but I didn't see it.

Your correct, they do answer the phone but whenever I talk to someone 1/10 times I get someone who seems like they have no idea what they talking about. Usually if it is a support issue regarding latency issues, they tell me to Email someone and I am still waiting for a response; 2 weeks now.

And I usually don't have to talk to them about rebooting my machine because they do it automatically for me, my system randomly gets rebooted for no reason. The laundry list of problems just goes on...

Thank you for your input fellas and ladies, if you can, keep the suggestions coming
    Last edited by PatrickH; 04-22-2004 at 03:46 PM.

X-Gaming: I do have my heart set on the LA area as we are already established there as a location and really would not like to move to SD or any other southern CA location. As far as going north, we are already there and running out of he.net. Very good DataCenter and have no problems.

ipowerweb.com looks like a good/decent host and appears to be running primarly across the saviis backbone which is good. Any other opinions on them or any other LA based DC/host? Thank you.

There are a few mixed reviews concerning ipowerweb on these forums and other places. Check those first before commiting.

Also do a search on 'One Wilshire' You should get a good list of providers in that area

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Originally posted by PatrickH
    Anyone else have any other suggestions?
    Contact insiderhosting, they have $35 per unit and $130 per Mbit.
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Forget Calpop unless you like hassles and dont actually want your machine online.

Contact www.nrsoftware.com and get ahold of Nishant.

He runs a tight network and is great to deal with.

They have several locations in LA which will make it easy to find one near you.

Yes, forget calpop....and ipowerweb....

I would look at InsiderHosting.

They use Mzima bandwidth, which has recently added Level3, so you're looking at:

Verio
    Level3
    Teleglobe
    Global Crossing

As well as very extensive peering....Eart*****, MSN, Cox, SBC Global, Rogers, RCN, DSL Extreme (Most of the major Residential broadband providers) as well as Time Warner, Allegiance, nLayer, Aleron. I believe they are well over 75 peers now in Los Angeles alone.

You won't beat Mzima's network on the west coast, and soon enough, they will be a player nationwide, they have good a presence and peering in Chicago, Ashburn, Dallas, as well as San Jose as well....making their Nationwide backbone
    Last edited by snickn; 04-27-2004 at 10:40 AM.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

I have a shared hosting package with iPowerWeb (bought two, just to test em), and all I can say is the SPEED SUCKS, performance is just not up to par, even for a shared hosting package.

I definitely would not go with iPowerWeb for my dedicated hosting, let alone shared (which I don't buy anymore, considering I have my own server).

Avoid Calpop like the plague! .... I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. They are that bad. They may have a person answering the phone, but when you decide to cancel, due to server problems... That's when major problems begin. If you go with them and decide to cancel, make sure you keep an eye on your credit card statement a minimum of 12 months after you cancel. Have you ever tried fumigating your house from roaches... then they begin to show up again a few months later? ..And then you do it again, and they still come back?

Thanks for the reply's guys. I decided to contact both insiderhosting.com and nrsoftware.com. Both have made a great first impression on me and it is just coming down to who can meet the offer.

As far as CALpop, my only advice would be the same as anyone else on this board. STAY AWAY! I have been trying to get a recent server purchase cancelled since Thursday of last week. Everyday I call and ask to speak with someone who can cancel the server and I get told so and so isn't in or in a 'business' meeting and won't be available till tomorrow, so I call back and no this person is on vacation until tomorrow? Are you kidding...
    If I can't get anything out this week I am going to personally drive down there and watch some heads roll.

As far as iPowerWeb goes, I ordered a server before I started to REALLY research them and quickly sent an Email an hour later to cancel it. I had exchanged Emails with 2-3 reps before purchasing and everything seemed smooth, except for the fact it seemed like they could not speak english very well and it wook about 4-5 Emails just to get the version/distro of Linux they use! Finally after 3 Emails the guy understood that the server was not yet charged and I shouldn't need a refund. I stated that in my first Email and the response was it will take 15-30 days and then I will get my refund. It's like hello?.. I just said it hasn't been charged yet and I want the order terminated before it gets processed.

The stories can continue but you all get the point.
    I am leaning back and forth on insiderhosting/nrsoftware so any comments/feedback on these two would be most helpfull. I am looking to be with them for at least a year and possibly many years to come. In otherwords, I am looking for someone for the long run, not anything short. Thank you for all your input thus far and look forward to hearing more.