Smallish vBulletin forum and website

Hello everyone!

I have an ezboard forum right now which I want to move to vBulletin. I have a maximum of 10 users online at the same time now. When I move I can expect a maximum of 20 or 25.

Here are the current stats:
    Founded: July 21, 2001
    Daily Posts: 144
    Total Posts: 55788
    Daily Visits: 899
    Total Visits: 342248

The posts at my forum do not include a lot of images. The layout itself has a bit more images than average possibly.

I need to know how much bandwidth and HD space I will need for the forum. I know it can't be exact, I just need a general idea. And recomendations for quality web hosts are welcome as well. I think an automatic backup system will be important since I don't want to lose the forum and everything in it. I shall also need additional webspace and bandwidth for the accompannying website.

You absolutely do not want to rely on a webhost to provide backups for you - it is the *absolute* responsibility of the forum webmaster to ensure that they make safe backups of their own forums.

One of my forums has about the same statistics as you describe, and it uses approx. 15Gb a month. Also you shouldn't have a problem with diskspace as it will probably remain below 100Mb but the Mysql Database can become very large..
    But I'm wondering is there a tool to move a forum from EzBoard to Vbulletin?

There is a vBulletin importer for ezboard, AFAIK. Worth asking, though, about the details if so:

Thanks for the input!

I will be sure to back it up myself and not rely on the webhost, but it would still be nice if they did it as well.

vBulletin offers a transfer from ezboard, but they have to do it themselves (for free, I think). The trouble with ezboard is the database is kept locked away, and only ezboard people can access it.

I guess I'm not looking for a very expensive server... Could I get away with about $10 a month for a reliable host?

Has anyone used "A Small Orange" web hosting?

There are plenty of decent webhosts offering 100-200MB of space and around 5GB b/w for around $10. Do shop around and use the search feature here to check up for comments on any companies you find interesting.

As for backups - heh, better to take responsibility for yourself, full stop. If a host offers them - great. But never rely on them, in case the backups fail just when you most need them. It can and does happen.

As for importers for vb - so far as I know they are done for free. Had some help moving some Yabbse's to vb. Generally very good support.

San Diego, Ca
    53 has the prices which you are looking for.
    AIM/MSN- nirkillerangel
    ICQ- 1248428229
    [email protected]

Edmonton, Canada
    Check the Host Quote feature of this site or the Shared Hosting Offers area. I am sure you will find a host listed there who will be able to easily accomodate your new vBulletin forum and associated website.

As for importers, I am not positive that there is a importer for ezBoard as it is a hosted service. But if you check the vBulletin site, there very well could be one.
    Glen Millar
    Tyger Hosting Services
    Affordable Direct Admin Linux Hosting Since 2003

I now have a few good sites to consider. Thanks to those who messaged me!

Thanks for the advise everyone!

Just found a note - for Ezboard imports you need to request this specifically in the members area of vBulletin. They'll handle it for you.

Originally posted by Berethorn
    Has anyone used "A Small Orange" web hosting?
    I'm using them now, and I LOVE them. Best host I've ever used.

I think it's actually from you that I got their link - at the vBulletin forums?

Find a host that offers a good package with 1.5GB HDD Space/15GB Bandwidth, and you'll be set. Just make sure the package include unlimited mySQL databases.

I think 1.5GBs of disk space is going a little over board for his specs.

That seems like alot! How much space can the VB forums take up?