What is needed for a hosting company

Hello everyone. I am sure this has been asked 1000000 time before but I have never posted in this forum and am searching currently for my answers but not finding all of them. So please no flames.

Ok. let me tell you what I am doing currently and what I would like to do in the future. First I have a Very Small up and coming web development company in Raleigh NC. I am one of 3 people in the company and my job is building the sites. Graphic design, Application programming, Flash Animating, and ActionScripting. I am a ColdFusion/ASPVbscript programmer and Flash Action Scripter. I also manage all of our sites and hosts and what not. Now we currently have about 20 sites that we have built and host but all spread out on several differnt hosts, due to lack of support for certain things I may need for certain projects. Well basically I am tired of hosting with others. With are client rate growing at a fast pace about 4 customers added to our development backlog, I am looking to host sites myself. I know about dedicated and colocation but I am a tech guy and I love my toys. What type of infastructure would I need to host my sites. Lets say I am expecting 100 customers over the next 2 years. I have plenty of space for this setup but I am not sure exactly what I need. I am looking for advice on Cooling Fire supression, I will probally use Cpanel and the control panel, I am going to have several MS SQL db so do I need a seperate server for this. As well as how do I manage the DNS, could I do this all on one server like the Mail, DNS, DB, and WEB. Also what type of backup and UPS would I need and what is the estimated costs for a home based datacenter like I am describing.

I need all of the help I can get, so all of your info is helpful. Also I would like my box to be a Windows Server 2003 since I am going to be running ColdFusion, Flash Remoting, Flash Communication Server, and some ASP.net and asp sites. Thanks in advance.

Justin

Just out of curiosity, how fast is your home internet connection? Bandwidth is one of the larger fees in starting a hosting company.
    Webmaster Forum webmastertalk.net Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools domainfocus.com Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

I am currently on a RoadRunner connection, but I can upgrade if needed. I am looking for a low cost startup, like less then 15k, I am currently bringing in about 200 a month in hosting. I havent really looked into any connections, would a RoadRunner Business Class be sufficient or would I need to look into T1, T3 or OC connectivity. Thanks for the reply.

Justin

I am currently on a RoadRunner connection, but I can upgrade if needed. I am looking for a low cost startup, like less then 15k, I am currently bringing in about 200 a month in hosting. I havent really looked into any connections, would a RoadRunner Business Class be sufficient or would I need to look into T1, T3 or OC connectivity. Thanks for the reply.

Justin

As far as I know RoadRunner only deals with cable connections. No matter how high they raise your transfer cap, it's still a widely shared connection and will not perform as well as a dedicated line. T1's are a bit slow, anything faster will cost quite a bit.
    Website Tools domainfocus.com Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

Thank you very much for responding so quickly. I have a few more questions.

So what do you think would be all of the things that I would need to start the host. I'm talking about servers Control panels, DNS servers backup servers, power supplies, Cooling. Like I am a true newb and am looking for a resource or some info on what I should have to initially start a hosting company that could support 100 clients with the total hits ofr all of the clients would be about 100 per day maybe a few more.

Originally posted by jgothier
    Like I am a true newb...
    I'd recommend grabbing a managed server from one of the many companies in these forums. Unless you know what you are doing 100%, I wouldn't suggest starting up your own datacenter, especially not from your home. Managed servers would cost a lot less, be less stressful, and guarantee minimal mistakes/downtime.

The route you're talking about would cost a crapload (technical term for "a lot"), and would probably be more than you could handle at the moment. Managed servers could be migrated to your own down the road once you're more familiar with the hosting industry.

Alot of that the data centers can take care of stuff like the cooling issue, backups, dns servers just get extra IP's and have your own dns servers, plus control panels are free with most servers now adays, better to get leased server. may violate tos with cabel company for hosting for sure. Lots of good reseller plans out there and alot of providers are moving towards offering windows and linux under one roof with only 1 bill to worry about.

Originally posted by Amdac
    I'd recommend grabbing a managed server from one of the many companies in these forums. Unless you know what you are doing 100%, I wouldn't suggest starting up your own datacenter, especially not from your home. Managed servers would cost a lot less, be less stressful, and guarantee minimal mistakes/downtime.

As Amdac said, this would probably be the way to go. More affordable, easier and less risk to your customers. Find a good managed provider, that does everything proactively.

By all means you should setup an old box at home and learn the ropes, and then when you're 100% competent, you could start to save a few bucks by managing the server yourself(I don't mean the old box at home ), through a quality ded server provider.

Your own datacenter is risky business. Even a non-managed server from a leasing company is still risky business. Add to those the task of having multiple redundant internet connections, not to mention power supplies. It is tough stuff. Try the dedicated server route first. Go for one of the no-setup deals, and use that until your own in-house soultion is ready.

did i do?

I'm not sure if i am allowed to post links but visit these guys. http://angelnetworkz.net/hosting/dedicated.html

They will manage your server for you. So you don't have to spend time installing the web server cpanel mysql etc. They will install all the security software, And just generally take care of your server while you take care of your clients. There prices are very good for what they offer. And they are a very respected company around here.

If your going to host around 20 customers a year i doubt a datacenter is the way to go.

Hope this helps. And good luck.

what did i do*

Please let us edit posts

Originally posted by jgothier
    I noticed you mentioned cooling, power, and fire suppression. You won't do these things in a remotely professional manner for $15k. I built a ~600 square foot computer room at the home office of a company I worked at during the dot-com days, and our generator and auto-transfer switch alone cost more than $15,000. UPS systems were per-cabinet and cost another thousand or more dollars per cabinet, depending on how much gear was in it. The fire system for that room was over $10,000 as well; although it was a very nice Inergen system which doesn't damage equipment or harm people exposed to the gas. The cooling system sucked, but the boss's secretary's friend's air conditioning company is to blame for that; not I. Still, it was several thousand dollars worth of "suck," and the room got into the 90+ degree range in the summer easily. Cable race-ways were expensive, and we had to have the carpet ripped up and replaced with electrically grounded tile. Finally, the room had exterior windows; which was incredibly dumb. Anyone smart enough to realize how much the gear stored inside was worth could have tossed a brick, done a quick smash-and-grab, and gotten away before the suburban police arrived. The money spent on a radio proximity entry control system was clearly misplaced.

Oh, then there's the other reason not to build a "datacenter," or a glorified computer room, outside a fiber-lit building. This company spent the better half of $100,000 on the space but it cost us about $200/Mbit to backhaul traffic from that location to our downtown POP.

Now, in this case, management wanted the computer room constructed primarily to show it off to clients and investors touring the building. It was totally worthless to customers. In your case, you need something that works, and building your own place isn't it; certainly not on a small scale.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches