Unlimited Domains?

This is for all the hosts that offer unlimited domains.

Are you referring to unlimited host headers pointing to 1 site or individual sites?

I'm rewriting my business plan and although I may consider offering unlimited host headers I don't see how any host can offer unlimited sites and still stand by their offer.

Thanks

its unlimited sites (domains) but you truly only get to host as many domains as you have resources, you have 1 GB space thats as many accounts as you can get on 1 GB probably 20 if each is allocated 50 MB, so if you buy more disk space and bandwidth yeah its unlimited but limites to resources or subject to overselling charges

I think this is possible to unlimited domains for different sites. Since there are some who doesn't need all the space for one site. The domains are actually consuming the provided space and bandwidth. So I see no wrong in doing so as compared to those who offer unlimited space and bandwidth.

I do agree that with more domains going to point to your server, you do consume more resources and so it is actually the host that should decide since it depends on case to case basis and to the audience you are targetting at.

Hope this helps. If I have made a mistake at any point, please amend it on my behalf. We all learn together

Basically you'll be asked to upgrade if you're using too many resources (CPU and memory). So you are limited by the space, bandwidth (data transfer actually) and - trickier - by how much strain your websites put on the server as a whole.

Many hosts allow you to use unlimited domains, but that doesn't mean unlimited resources as mentioned. You can use as many domains as you desire -> mind you, you'll have to pay for them -> but you're still restricted to the plan you signed up for.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Originally posted by ldcdc
    Basically you'll be asked to upgrade if you're using too many resources (CPU and memory). So you are limited by the space, bandwidth (data transfer actually) and - trickier - by how much strain your websites put on the server as a whole.
    This is exactly what we do, and it works well. I have not had any trouble with resources or the like at all. But if something like that were to come up, it could be handled fairly easily as long as your TOS backs you up.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

I guess the problem is my business model doesn't lend itself well for this type of offer.

In my case, all customers have a given amount of bandwidth and space but no actual limit (max or min) is set per site. I simply bill for overages. Since I don't set a minimum space limit, if I were to offer unlimited domains a customer could potentially have 500 three page sites and still be within their space limit.

As far as resources go I like to configure sites so that no one process runs away with all CPU and memory by having it automatically kill the process. I can also set it to write to the log if a site goes over a certain threshold. But I would find it difficult to track if the resources of all the sites for a customer combine go over a particular CPU/memory quota.

Do you have a system in place to do this or do you wait for a single site to act up and then identify the customer as a candidate for an upgrade based on that one site?

I hope all this makes sense

Thanks for your replies!

Greetings:

For our parent company -- Dynamic Net, Inc. -- it can mean either.

H-Sphere from http://www.psoft.net/ provides complete hosting automation; and allows for unlimited domain names.

Domains can have their own web space under the same hosting plan, be a pointer (alias) to an existing domain name, or have their own hosting plan.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile