View Poll Results: Should women carry stun guns?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 33.33%
  • No

10 47.62%
  • It could be alittle danngerous...

4 19.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stun Guns

Stun Guns

I was thinking about these recently and wheter I should get a Stun Gun and give it to my neice when she turns 16 - 18 years old. I know the world is a dark and dangerous place and I want my neice to be safe from any guys who may try to harm her when I am not there to protect her. What do you think about stun guns? I think they are a great weapon every woman should carry.
    Kerry Jones

The problem is that for it to be effective, she'll have to walk around with the stun gun in her hand at all times. It's not going to be of any use when it's in her purse and someone attacks her.

Perhaps you could sign her up for some sort of self defence course.

Stun Guns ... HURT lol (Don't ask)

Anyway, I think that self defense classes would be great, maybe a stun gun too? That way the self defense may give her that extra little bit of time to get the stun gun out.

I don't want to frighten you, but a huge bloke she can only run from.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Mace is just as effective and easier to use.
    Get your certificate of knowification autographed by REW!
    Visit rewdog.com for details.

Mace is just as effective and easier to use.
    Mace is effective on you too if it blows in your face on a windy day :p

She won't need the lessons yet though. She is only 3 years old, but I have taught her some things to help defend herself. I'm just preparing for the future if she ever needs to defend herself and if my moves help her to the point where she can pull that stun gun out and give them a shock then I would be proud.
    Kerry Jones

There are two kinds of "stun guns." The only one you're likely to be able to get isn't that effective against an attacker. The kind used by law enforcement will usually (but not always) drop a guy pretty quickly. They fire fish hooks with wires attached; the hooks lodge in the skin and allow you to send a charge repeatedly through the wires until they're dislodged -- which isn't easy, as anyone who's accidentally snagged themselves with a barbed hook knows.

But you won't get that -- you'll get the "cattle prod" type. She'd have to actually put the thing in contact with an attacker before activating it. Think he's just going to stand there and wait? And they don't work the way they're often shown on TV, where the person instantly passes out -- it's just a painful shock.

And no stun gun is effective against more than one person at a time.

Mace? Pretty ineffective too. Most people can take a shot in the face and keep going. In almost every case they're not going to feel anything at all for a few seconds. If it's windy, you'll be lucky to hit them, and maybe as likely to take the shot yourself.
    Last edited by JayC; 04-21-2004 at 06:09 PM.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Buy her a gun, easy to get hold of now a days
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

Yeah, move to Texas and you can carry a concealed weapon. For those that can't live in the Texas heat buy some Mace.
    Alvin

I carry an ASP Baton and a lockknife everywhere i go.

Other than doing some training with Brin Morgan(i have ) theres not much you can do but teach her to beaware and some self defense.
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

Originally posted by 4 Degrees
    Anyway, I think that self defense classes would be great, maybe a stun gun too?
    I was also going to recommend this. Have her enroll into a Martial Arts class and she'll learn more then just self defense. I study Tae Kwon Do and it's great.
    Don't look for a way out.

I've got no problem with women or anyone who feels unsafe carrying a means of self defense that most likely won't kill someone when they are trying to protect themselves or property. I know that if my kid, wife, family member didn't feel at ease in the city/neighborhood they lived in I would probably insist that they equip themselves.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    She won't need the lessons yet though. She is only 3 years old,
    Why not wait until she is a little older to worry about what kind of weapon to get her.

If she's only three, the world might be a safer or more dangerous place by the time she's 16, hopefully safer.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

or she might be carrying around an m60 by the time shes 15

Some countries have that happen lol
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

Originally posted by JayC
    There are two kinds of "stun guns." The only one you're likely to be able to get isn't that effective against an attacker. The kind used by law enforcement will usually (but not always) drop a guy pretty quickly. They fire fish hooks with wires attached; the hooks lodge in the skin and allow you to send a charge repeatedly through the wires until they're dislodged -- which isn't easy, as anyone who's accidentally snagged themselves with a barbed hook knows.
    I can attest that the newer stun guns that law enforcement work like a charm, and the hurt like you can't even imagine. They are designed to directly interrupt your nervous system. Anyone who knows basic anatomy knows that if this is done, you lose control of motor skills, among other things. Being a reserve officer at my local police department, in order to be able to use these weapons should we need to required us to be shot by them. If the two other helpers were not holding me while they shot me with it, I would have fallen to the ground-- it's that effective.

These guns are about 90% effective. The only thing is, you need to make sure you hit the suspect in the proper locations on the body, otherwise it won't be able to conduct a full circuit. We did have a fellow pumped up on ecstasy and the shot did not take any effect on him because he had taken so much, nothing was working.

The positive side to this is the fact that these weapons are excellent alternatives to firearms, and cause no health problems whatsoever. It takes around a minute or two after the initial hit to be back to normal. It is a certainly interesting feeling.

Back on topic as I have strayed off-topic, if she is 3, wait until she gets older to worry about such things. By then I'm sure some other form of personal defense device or imporoved mace will be out for purchase.

Regards,
    Waylon

I got hit with one of those normal stun guns(i asked them too, never again) and the pain wasn't too bad. But the next day was a biatch....my lad was cramped all day long...
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

if you know a women is carrying a stun gun, no one would want to try and attack her. so it'd be safer. the person trying to attack her would be stupid and walk right into it. its not like they'd walk around threatening with it. its for defense... at least that's what i'd use it for. (yes i'm a woman)

Originally posted by SillyRocker
    if you know a women is carrying a stun gun, no one would want to try and attack her.
    Tell you what, give me any other weapon -- club, baseball bat, knife, gun, whatever -- and I'll go up against anyone with a stun gun (as opposed to a taser, which is the other type with the barbed hook projectiles but is commonly also called a stun gun) knowing I have an advantage.

The last thing you want is a false sense of security. A stun gun is very unlikely to help you out if you get mugged or attacked on the street.

Even if the other person doesn't have any weapon, the most common scenario is for the unsuspecting target simply to get blindsided -- punched or hit from behind unexpectedly. Maybe in the rare situation when you know you're in a risky spot and have the thing in your hand ready to go it might help you out... but only if your up against just one person, and if that person is unarmed.
    Last edited by JayC; 04-21-2004 at 08:40 PM.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

firstly, a stun gun isn't going to be much use against a real attacker

secondly, the stun gun may land in the wrong hands (not all women are angels ya know)

so... if women have survived for millions of years without stun guns... why change that now?

good point. but things change in this crazy world. who knows what we'll be allowed to get away with.

Originally posted by SillyRocker
    good point. but things change in this crazy world. who knows what we'll be allowed to get away with.
    You can't even own a stun gun, or mace in Canada.

is this a world wide kind of thing???? world-wide... thats kinda random to just drop around stun guns. they'll be stolen and stuff. as for owning one... thats kinda sad, its defense

Switchblade

But you really shouldn't be scaring her now. 3 years old? Let her be 3.

Originally posted by webmultitude
    Switchblade

But you really shouldn't be scaring her now. 3 years old? Let her be 3.
    I agree.

When I found out she was only 3, the words "WTF" came to my mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast