Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHT Downtime

WHT Downtime

Members,

This morning, as well as last week, WebHostingTalk.com was victimized by DoS attacks, and thus the explanation for the recent downtime.

As a preventative measure, we have been working during this downtime with Rackspace enginners to combat these issues and to do everything possible to prevent them from disrupting service to the site. As such, we now have Rackspace's Preventier service which is able to quickly detect attacks like we have experienced and change rules within Rackspace's core network devices to keep our site up and running while filtering and tracing the harmful traffic.

We are pleased with the nearly instantaneous resolution to the issue when Preventier was activated on WebHostingTalk.com.

Right now there is some latency and some database server overloading which is being worked on, but this is due to a spike in legitimate traffic following the downtime. We are also working on adding an additional database server at Rackspace to handle only WHT traffic.

We appologize for the recent downtime, and assure you that our full efforts are adjoined with Rackspace in keeping this community up and running.
    Best Regards,
    Ryan Elledge
    Chief Operating Officer, Codero Hosting

weeee love you!
    John Heslop

Will premium members be given any type of reimbursment, as we were unable to access wht during this time?

Originally posted by ub3r
    Will premium members be given any type of reimbursment, as we were unable to access wht during this time?
    No, Premium Membership did not have an uptime guarantee, ub3r.
    Best Regards,
    Ryan Elledge
    Chief Operating Officer, Codero Hosting

hmmm, that sounds stupid ub3r, also i never intended to reply two times.
    John Heslop

Surely you can't be asking for damages from a few hours of downtime, when the site was under attack....

That's a joke right?

Ouch, glad to see that it's back up

Haha, don't you guys recognize ub3r's sense of humor yet?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Even with like 24 hours downtime, I guess it's still within that 99.97% uptime benchmark that we would render most hosts, except perhaps for critically important projects; and frequenting a forum apparently doesn't count towards that, does it?
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Originally posted by vito
    Haha, don't you guys recognize ub3r's sense of humor yet?
    Guess I'm not the only one.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

relledge,

With the money that WHT generates why don't you buy a firewall that can help fight DDOS attacks? Do you have anything right now that helps deflect them? I can't remember the name exactly, but I remember there was a free firewall that helps combat DDoS attacks.
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    relledge,

With the money that WHT generates why don't you buy a firewall that can help fight DDOS attacks? Do you have anything right now that helps deflect them? I can't remember the name exactly, but I remember there was a free firewall that helps combat DDoS attacks.
    That's what this is:

As such, we now have Rackspace's Preventier service which is able to quickly detect attacks like we have experienced and change rules within Rackspace's core network devices to keep our site up and running while filtering and tracing the harmful traffic.
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002

P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

Too bad not many understand your ub3r 1337 joksterness...
    To assume perfection is merely a display of ignorance.

but I remember there was a free firewall that helps combat DDoS attacks.
    Yeah, but can that free firewall you heard of handle a cluster configuration and also block around a billion+ malicious connections in 6 hours.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

relledge,

Even the paid FloodGuard can't stop legit HTTP requests. Only things like SYN floods.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

Too bad it seems to be also blocking legit traffic. This is the first time in a couple days I've even been able to load the site (trying from 2 diff. ISP's.)
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Originally posted by Gen-T
    Surely you can't be asking for damages from a few hours of downtime, when the site was under attack....

That's a joke right?
    But some people do think that way.

Originally posted by Vamp22
    Too bad it seems to be also blocking legit traffic. This is the first time in a couple days I've even been able to load the site (trying from 2 diff. ISP's.)
    I only know what I've read here, but it seems like you're missing the point. The protection against attacks just went in place today and the site only went back online a couple of hours ago. If you've had a hard time getting connected before that it can't be to blame -- the attack itself was probably the cause.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

If you had trouble connecting before 3:30pm CDT, then the new system was not to blame. It also is currently learning traffic, so if you have trouble please bare with us as it takes time to fully analyze what is legitimate traffic. It is a highly intelligent system which makes split second decisions on how to handle incoming traffic, and thus might have a few hiccups for a few days until it fully learns everything.
    Jeremy Johnstone

it took Rackspace about 6 hours to figure out how to fix the problem?

what happend to that 'fanatical' support..

oh, wait.. they did just put up a new site, must have been more important to them then thier customers servers/sites

DoS attacks are supposed to be easy? If it's still ongoing, I didn't know anything worked this good.

Originally posted by JetServers
    DoS attacks are supposed to be easy? If it's still ongoing, I didn't know anything worked this good.
    The attack is setting at the same intensity as it was 4 hours ago and you can't see any noticeable latency with the forum now. Preventier is working great and is the best DDoS mitigating system I have seen to date....
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

Maybe he can get some point credits (PlusPoints) to put against any warnings given by the mods.

Originally posted by Gen-T

That's a joke right?
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

Glad to hear Preventier is doing it's job!

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    The attack is setting at the same intensity as it was 4 hours ago and you can't see any noticeable latency with the forum now. Preventier is working great and is the best DDoS mitigating system I have seen to date....
    73's, Kim

Speaking as an individual, forget im a mod for now, ive got nothing to do with any of the companies running WHT im just a mod, that said lets continue...

They had a massive DDoS attack, now ive seen distributed denial of service attacks before now, I dont profess to be an expert on the topic but if you remember the likes of the attacks that bring down the massive players, yes, im sure you remember them, they happen from time to time, there is very little that can be done.

Given that information id stop asking about compensation, id stop complaining about poor service, there are only so many people you can throw at a particular task, how about EVERYONE at rackspace gets on to the WHT issue? that would be silly you wouldnt get anywhere, if anything it shows they have the resources to deal with the WHT problem AND the resources to carry on normal business.

Ok, ive had my rant now, had they have done wrong id be ranting about the people that run WHT but I think they have done a damn good job and would like to congratulate the entire team on bringing this under control.

-XT

Originally posted by IceCell
    it took Rackspace about 6 hours to figure out how to fix the problem?

what happend to that 'fanatical' support..

oh, wait.. they did just put up a new site, must have been more important to them then thier customers servers/sites
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

doesnt rackspace use riverhead hardware to combat ddos attacks?
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

I finally understand why i had problems visiting WHT. I thought it was my ISP's fault. I was very close to phone them about this.

I hope the new system will work more than fine to mitigate this kind of issues. WHT works just fine now (for me at least).

Lovin' it, ub3r.

if what inet posted to start this thread is true... then why did it take 6 hours to decide to put the "preventier" into place, since it fixed it "almost immediately" after being turned on.

i'm positive rackspace gets a large sum of money to keep WHT going.. nice to see how much they care

Originally posted by thelinuxguy
    doesnt rackspace use riverhead hardware to combat ddos attacks?
    Yes.
    Jeremy Johnstone

I think WHT needs an emergency notification site (off network) so the addicts can keep informed and try to manage the withdrawal symptoms...

Maybe those of us with message boards could provide a special sub-forum for the addicts here.

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    I think WHT needs an emergency notification site (off network) so the addicts can keep informed and try to manage the withdrawal symptoms...
    73's, Kim

WHTirc is on a different network.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    I agree, a few people had to go to the hospital. This is a serious issue.
    CloudRck.com - Host on Cloudrck
    Unmetered VPS Solutions at it's finest

: )

I believe we now have the hardware in place to prevent such malicous DDOS attacks in the future....
    -------------------------------------------------
    WHT owner once upon a time....
    http://www.gabrielmurphy.com

Good luck, Gabriel, with further operations. Hopefully the new solution works out well.

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

relledge,

Don't forget, with their own firewall they would end up being charged for hundreds of GB of DOS traffic still, but by letting rackspace handle it at their edge routers, they avoid the huge bandwidth costs associated with DOS attacks.
    Paradox Web Hosting - [email protected]
    - Shared and Dedicated Hosting Solutions: www.paradoxwebhosting.com
    - Auto Sales Manager 2004 now available!: www.autosalesmanager.com

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    I take it "Preventier" is Rackspace's product for combatting DDOS etc. Great stuff. Good to see Rackspace can step up to the plate, although I'm sure it wasn't cheap for INET, but a worthwhile cost to protect their investment.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Originally posted by Gabriel Murphy
    : )

I believe we now have the hardware in place to prevent such malicous DDOS attacks in the future....
    Thats great news to hear Gabriel, however my question is why wasn't something like this implemented from the begining? What ever happened to preventive measures rather than waiting until it happened?
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast