Do Donhosts still have a bad rep?

I'm planning on moving my reseller account from Fasthosts (I won't begin a rant here!) and am considering Donhosts.
    On the face of it they sound fairly good. Unix hosting for £399 a year.
    However, after a bit of research they don't seem to have a great reputation. Having said this all the postings I found are fairly old. So what's the current view?

If they are still that bad can you suggest some alternatives. I'm willing to spend considerably more than the above to get reliable *nx hostnig with full .htaccess control and MySQL.

Thanksin advance,
    Chris

I wouldn't pay yearly especially not that much money. Think how much loss you will suffer if it doesn't work out.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

yeah that does sound like a bit much esp for only 20 GBS a month most HSP offer 50GBs at 20 or less, shoot yahoo offers 20 GB at 11.95 a month so go from there.

I do not consider you donhost, as they have very stupid politics. If you go over 20gb, you will be charge amazing 15£ for each Gb. You cannot have more than 1 account . They have very good uptime, but limited control panel. Their advantage is antivirus protection. Support is not bad- not overnight
    They had their clients for idiots 1 year ago , when they had 50 gb accounts for same money, then they suspended accounts in reseller packages, which were using more than 3-4gb. They cheated me too.
    I'd consider clook or voxtreme, much better support and cpanel with more features. Probably I'll decide for them too.

To not forget: they charge you 20£ if you want your backup.
    Their webmail usage transfer is included in your overal transfer.
    Now it is your decision what to do.
    Last edited by sunshines; 04-21-2004 at 06:44 PM.

I might just take out the yearly

Originally posted by pixel_fenix
    I wouldn't pay yearly especially not that much money. Think how much loss you will suffer if it doesn't work out.
    I might just take out the yearly and 2 year payments as they only seem to get stolen credit cards, users from countrys far from the US and with address in the US. Everytime I send an email wanting more info I never get a responce and ofcourse I never charge or try to charge the card. I don't need to have charge backs on my account as they can lead to you loosing it
    Cpwebhosting.net where the customer is first
    Great Affiliate Program Call 321-205-9003
    Earn on CPA up to $100.00 on Shared Hosting

Originally posted by sunshines
    ....I'd consider clook or voxtreme, much better support and cpanel with more features. .....
    I'd also recommend clook, by far the best reseller account I've had (tried 4 others) in terms of value for money, features and above all, support.

Hi Chris,

You can find a list of reseller accounts here:
    http://www.findyourhost.co.uk/reseller.php

Note that not all of them have servers in the UK, so that's something to watch out for.

HTH

Robert Kerry
    PS: Check out our latest UK Reseller Hosting, Dedicated Server and Colocation offers on our website!

I wouldn't pay yearly

There are plenty of options... HostGator, Dinix, DixieSys, HostNexus, and countless others.

We haven't considered DonHost since receiving an email from them a year back (we had a site there) telling us that support was basically closed for Christmas/Easter (or whatever it was). Alarm bells rang... try contacting them at 3am UK time on a public holiday and see what you get.

And oh yes... ridiculously expensive compared to many US options.
    My Reviews of 30+ Hosts
    Can Also Be Seen On My Page at TekSalon

The Meatrix: Welcome to the real world

Hi Guys,

With regard to the shut down of FTP over Christmas, that was 3 years ago. At that time we were attracting a large number of malicious/fraudulent users that abused the service. The fear was that this problem would become far more prevalent over the Christmas break when staffing levels were lower. In retrospect I wish I had not shut down FTP service, I seriously misjudged our customer’s needs.

Our strict AUP policy was in order to keep these users from affecting the quality of the service for other users, however this did adversely affect the majority of legitimate users.

We dropped the quota from 50GB to 20GB firstly to make the service less attractive to the warez, mp3 type users (remember we're before P2P networks) and secondly to allow us to run our servers from our own data centre outside London where our close proximity would enable us to offer a better quality service. Again, this was closer to three years ago than one. We gave our customers advance notice of this change and the option to break their contract early after moving to a new host although I do understand that it will never be good news that the specification is dropping. This has been the only time the specification of any of our packages has fallen, and will be the only time, since then we have constantly been adding new features and services to the packages.

In our early days we grew too quickly and the service was not as good as I would have liked it to have been, in no small part due to my inexperience and lack of knowledge. Since then, the team has expanded and they and I have learnt new lessons. The last 2 years have been excellent both for us and our customers, with more or less perfect uptime, unrivalled speed and great, personal customer service. FTP has been available 24hrs a day and always will be and customer satisfaction has been > 98% in our customer surveys of the last 24 months.

I'm sorry we didn't provide the level of service we should have done in our early days. I'd love you to try the service again as I am confident you won't be disappointed. Please feel free to contact me personally and I'll be glad to set you up a trial account.
    Daniel Conlon
    Donhost
    http://www.donhost.co.uk

Having used Donhost for almost 4 years, and still having a reseller account there due to the requests by some of our earliest customers who have had perfect uptime for years that we keep the account, and having met Daniel for a beer during his recent trip to Australia...and he picked up the bill, I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Gary

I have had a reseller account with them for about 2 and half years and found the support and uptime to be excellent. I have had none of the problems experienced with other hosts regarding support, uptime and other technical issues.

They appear to have a very robust infrastructure and are far more customer friendly these days.

Originally posted by RedFish
    They appear to have a very robust infrastructure and are far more customer friendly these days.
    They need to be for such prices, otherwise who would host by them otherwise??

And what I hate there, that they are not capable to provide us free anonymous dns, but they charge you about 70 GBP for a year for them. They even do not have anonymous data for their dns.

Donhost In - Fasthosts Out

I've finally, thankfully, made the the move from Fasthosts to a Donhosts reseller account after the final straw ("Que position 15 and here's the Birdy Song to keep you company...).

What a breath of fresh air Donhosts are! (It was really starting to stink at Fasthosts).

Re: Donhost In - Fasthosts Out

Originally posted by woofwoof
    I've finally, thankfully, made the the move from Fasthosts to a Donhosts reseller account after the final straw ("Que position 15 and here's the Birdy Song to keep you company...).

What a breath of fresh air Donhosts are! (It was really starting to stink at Fasthosts).
    In all the years that I have been in the hosting business 8 years I have seen alot and no one is truly safe as anything can happen! You just have to be able to work with the people you are with and if you get along then you are home. One persons problems is not always the way it is with all the others. Every problem and support exchange is just that one time and the next just and maybe much different. I just wish everyone moved to me
    Cpwebhosting.net where the customer is first
    Great Affiliate Program Call 321-205-9003
    Earn on CPA up to $100.00 on Shared Hosting

I've had an account with donhost for two years... (having moved from AIT who even now are still haunting me with their poor AITdomains customer service)... I pay yearly and have had no problems. Of course I'm aware of the AUP, and have frequently checked that what I'm about to do is acceptable - better to get permission (in 'writing') first than to end up with egg on your face.... Cstomer service is friendly and knowledgeable enough and know

I was gonna use donhost but something told me not to . I didnt like thier control panels much. I'd rather stay with my cpanel hosting. It may not do asp hosting but still good and i dont pay for addons too

yes, you get only 20gigs per month and that is about 40 GBP, that is crazy. Their control panel is very simple and at times to limited. Not to mention that every addintional gig is 15 GBP