Dathorn: CPanel04 down

I'm on CPanel04 and it's been down for well over 24 hours now.

We're just having lots of trouble with the kernels and other boot configurations.
    To rememdy this, Andrew's decided to move everyone over to a new server. This was to have started yesterday alphabetically, but still I see no sign of restoration.

I'm just wondering, is there no way to keep apache up during this process?

More and more I'm losing my faith in Andrew. I'm sure he has the proper technical abilities to run his business, but they are lacking some serious core compenticnes at Dathorn. I lost a customer last week because one of Dathorn's support tech's chowned their entire home directory to root after I opened a ticket regarding an issue with the customer's quota being misrepresented. It took all day to fix the ownership issue.

If my and my customer's sites are down for another day my company is toast.

A good Hosting company will either have the money on hand to immediately get another Server so they can move Clients or have a spare Server on hand -- which has been proven to be trouble free.

All Hosting companies run into problems and it's how the problems are handled -- and how fast -- that seperate the good from the bad. Also a good idea to a have a Plan B available. This would apply to Hosters as well as Clients, cause sometimes even a DC cannot quite get it together. And whether moving to another Server or moving to another Hosting company, it all takes time and is sometimes faster, than trying to deal a problem Server.

Update: Still down. This is ridiculous.

We did not have a problem with on-hand hardware or anything like that. The problem was due to the restoration process of hundreds of domain accounts using standard cPanel backups. In addition, as some accounts begin to get restored the mass of traffic sets in on them to catch-up on any e-mail, etc. which just makes performance that much worse. This is just one reason why we are migrating to our own backup system as well. I do apologize for the inconvenience but we really did get this done as quickly as the conditions would allow.

It's still down and has been down for a total of almost 1 whole week. But then, Alertra reports only 47 hours of downtime??? Where have all the other hours gone? This length of downtime is just plain unacceptable. Losing money every hour...............

It's been far from a whole week. 47 hours total for the month, although insanely long, is correct. But I really don't know why this is being discussed here instead of on our own forums, no one at WHT has anything to do with this nor can they help you in any way or even explain what is going on.

Andrew, in my timezone, cpanel04 went down Monday and it came back up around Thursday of last week. But then, right as of this moment, it's still down. I'm sure all resellers under cpanel04 can atest that it's way more than "just" 47 hours.

Why these posts? Perhaps ChickenFart (among others) has been very frustrated... I know I am.
    Last edited by kato; 04-26-2004 at 09:58 PM.

If you were unable to access the server during ALL of that time then you need to submit a ticket. I assure you that the downtime was even several hours less than 47 or whatever it may show now, I'm not here to lie to you.

The IP that Alertra is monitoring for that server was not bound to it for several hours after it was already online because that IP is no longer used. Thus there were at least 4-5 hours or so where the server was actually up and running but Alertra reported otherwise. However, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter right now.

I have been religiously checking your forum announcements and submitting tickets... If you check your Forum, your first announcement of the downtime was dated 04-20-2004 and what date is it today? You do the math. Though between 04-20-2004 and today, the server was up for a couple of days and then it went down again... up to this very moment... and still counting.... still hoping....

... and down yet again. I don't have that many customers, but losing 50% of them so far kinda stings.