Max Connections Adjustments:

How do you adjust the maximum number of concurrent connections for apache to accept? What is a good amount to be safe?

Thanks-

there is a 'maxclients' option in the config file, but by default it can't go over 256
    if you want a higher value, you need to edit httpd.h and change the hard limit

On Apache 2 you can set the MaxClients (maximum number of server processes allowed to start).

Also you should consider having a generous MaxSpareThreads/MaxSpareServers. i.e. the maximum number of handlers waiting idly for a new connection to come in.

IIRC the limit on Apache1.3 was 255 connections (unless you recompiled apahce). I'm not sure on Apache 2. Try it and see.
    RimuHosting.com - VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting since 2003
    Pingability.com - Peace of Mind Web Site Monitoring

cPanel automatically adjust it to 260, no more. You can set it higher, and see what happens.

Keep MaxSpareServers to the possible minimum, 8 or 10, the same of max requests per child.

Well, I think that every server has its own individuality and requires special, even unique treatment. One have to be a good psycho-analyst to cope with those characters.:-)
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price