Thread: software?

software?

Hey yall, i have a brandy fan site that am starting soon, can you give me some tips on some great software to use for webdesigning. I realy dont want the site to look cheapy i want it to loook as professional and goodlooking as possible, and also if you state the software can u tell me what it does or its uses, thanks.

Notepad - Can code anything you want in it, if you know how

Photoshop - Any version, could pick up version 6 for cheap now, something to start out with.

www.w3schools.com Start learning HTML and CSS
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Everything 4 Degrees suggested would be great for you to use for your website. Also WebMonkey (http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/) is a good place to learn html, etc.

The website will look as good as your talent in design and graphics.

Originally posted by Pat H
    Exactly right. So if you're lacking in the design skills department it might be an idea to get a template from one of the numerous template sites out there. Even thought they are sometimes frowned upon for hosting sites, for your purposes you can get a nice template relatively cheaply.

Then modify it in a good WYSIWYG editor such as Dreamweaver and you have a quick and easy way to create a website.

Originally posted by Pat H

I agree with Pat, you must have to know good designing.

Photoshop is best for designing and notepad and textpad are good text editor.

If you need more cheap then hire a web designer.
    he will give you good and professional design without any headach.

::
    All Corel here...

At the end of the day though it doesn't matter what you use - if you don't have an eye for design then no amount of over-priced software will help you.
    Logo DesignVector ConversionPrint
    eagleimagery.co.uk
    UK Business Labs Forum - The chemistry in B2B™

Originally posted by Professor
    Exactly right. So if you're lacking in the design skills department it might be an idea to get a template from one of the numerous template sites out there. Even thought they are sometimes frowned upon for hosting sites, for your purposes you can get a nice template relatively cheaply.

Then modify it in a good WYSIWYG editor such as Dreamweaver and you have a quick and easy way to create a website.
    what? and make your site look ideantical to all the others who have got the same template?

start from scratch, build your own website in notepad, thats what i reccomend, but you will have to be persistant and learn html,css,xhtml ect for coding and such

but if you ever get stuck or need help you could also ask around on forums, thats what theyre there for

Come oooon , stop with repeating 'notepad' people

Notepad is only for emergency cases, like when there is no other good text editor installed on the system. It's very basic and lacks features and you have to throw more effort on aligning the code than on learning a new things
    YasHost.com
    Cheap Dedicated Servers - Fully Managed, cPanel/WHM Included FOR FREE

Notepad is like vi for Windows. You use it because there is no other editor.

I switched vi for nano on the server as soon as I could, now what do you recommend for the desktop?

I tried several text editors in the last several months (not to say in the last two years) and can't find one which goes through the test of time. They all suck on some aspect.

I used syn for a while only because I was tired of looking for more editors because it sucked. It just doesn't work right at all. It might become a good one, but it's not ready.

More recently tried Notepad++. It *looks* great. Nothing to complain on that. But after only 10 minutes I started to wonder what it was good for. I had already disabled those features which caught my eye on the website because they were useless, than I wasn't finding any feature I was looking for.

If anyone has a good suggestion I'm listening. Else I will still look out for good editor until maybe some day I get tired and start write my own....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom|420
    Notepad is like vi for Windows
    I wouldn't be without vi. Quick, simple and painless.

Having said that, I use TextPad on my Windows machine.
    Kinkamono Internet Services - The Internet. Done Right.
    Dive In...

I use nano on server and phpED on windows. phpED is best thing since...well ever.

P.S. I keep my windows machine just to use it

Originally posted by Zopester
    I wouldn't be without vi. Quick, simple and painless.
    I prefer nano to vi. Much more simple to me. Never had to read a manual to use it. (Nano is a GNU clone for pico, for those who didn't know.)

Originally posted by Forse
    P.S. I keep my windows machine just to use it
    The website says: Now on Linux!

No more reason to keep your Windox box

Originally posted by EagleImagery
    ::
    All Corel here...

At the end of the day though it doesn't matter what you use - if you don't have an eye for design then no amount of over-priced software will help you.
    I agree it doesn't matter what you use, but, photoshop is certainly not over-priced. Maybe depending what your needs are it is an overkill and you can get away with Jasc's Paint Shop Pro ($99) or the Gimp (2 just came out). But, show me a program that comes close to a half of the features of photoshop (yes I use quite a few of those special features, remember time is money) or a quarter of the userbase.

The website says: Now on Linux!

No more reason to keep your Windox box [/B]
    Hei you're right

Originally posted by joe2kiss
    what? and make your site look ideantical to all the others who have got the same template?

start from scratch, build your own website in notepad, thats what i reccomend, but you will have to be persistant and learn html,css,xhtml ect for coding and such

but if you ever get stuck or need help you could also ask around on forums, thats what theyre there for
    I disagree. They are starting a brandy fan site, so as I mentioned before a template has merit. Since they are targeting brandy fans, I'm guessing the odds of him choosing a template that is the same as another brandy fan site template are a million to one.

Originally posted by Tom|420
    I switched vi for nano on the server as soon as I could, now what do you recommend for the desktop?
    BBEdit is your friend. It is the _ultimate_ tool for scripting and coding. I assume there's a windows version. Nothing i've used on windows comes even close to what BBEdit does.

http://www.barebones.com/images/aqua_full_screen.jpg

Is a very old screenshot of it. It looks confusing, but it's really really good once you learn where everything is.
    Gone.