Post Questions $90 managed.com server

Hello Friends,
    I am new and this is my first post here, I am to buy $90 Dedicated server at managed.com but before that i would like to know few things about dedicated servers. I am sorry this is the first time I am buying a server so my questions my sound dump but as a newbie i need to know them.

Q1. Will I be able to install PHP MySQL etc on my own, remotely, I heard that we get root access, what is root access? I dont want to pay managed.com for installing things.

Q2. I dont mind if my server is down for 5 mins sometimes but how often the dedicated servers go down? (not from the managed.com point of view but from other Data centers as well. )

Q3. I have read that people buy 3-4 servers, WHY? I meanly need the server for web hosting purposes, I will be hosting many sites, may be in thousands, will I have any trouble ( not from the BW and space point of view but other problems )? is one server enough for the purpose?

I have many more questions and i will keep posting but I don't think that it will be good to ask in one thread.

Thank you all of you for reading and replying, Thank you so much.

Regards
    Jaunty

Re: Questions $90 managed.com server

Originally posted by jaunty
    [B]
    Q1. Will I be able to install PHP MySQL etc on my own, remotely, I heard that we get root access, what is root access? I dont want to pay managed.com for installing things.
    If you from the windows world the easiest way to explain root access is admisntrator access. You can do whatever you want pretty much (so long as you know how.
    Q2. I dont mind if my server is down for 5 mins sometimes but how often the dedicated servers go down? (not from the managed.com point of view but from other Data centers as well. )
    Most dedicated providers (not specific to managed.com) dont go down that often.
    Q3. I have read that people buy 3-4 servers, WHY? I meanly need the server for web hosting purposes, I will be hosting many sites, may be in thousands, will I have any trouble ( not from the BW and space point of view but other problems )? is one server enough for the purpose?
    Well people often want to have their content mirrored accross multiple servers in case on DC goes down or their is a hard drive failure on their machine.
    Also if you are doing heavy PHP/MySQL stuff than some times on really busy site can take more than one server to be able to handle.

I have many more questions and i will keep posting but I don't think that it will be good to ask in one thread.
    Ask away :-)

And now for the unsolicieted part of the reply:
    If you are asking what root access is your probably not ready for a dedicated server from managed. With your current level of linux knowledge (next to 0 in my best guest) you would be best off hiring a server admin company to look after the server, since you are going to have a lot of difficulties to start out with.

I'd advice you to get an old computer and install a clean debian distribution on it and try to make a webserver out of it. Because that's what you're gonna get when you're at managed, a completely empty server.

If you need to learn from scracth anyway, you might as well choose freebsd over linux too.

Analising your situation - I would say you should go with a different provider OR a third party provider of managed.com that will manage a server for you.

I would suggest using www.AngelNetworkz.net for your dedicated services. They offer Fully Managed Servers in Managed.com for a fair price. They have their own support people out there at managed's datacenter so you dont have to wait for Managed.com's Slow Support. If you don't think Managed.com's network is good enough for you look at their ThePlannet Servers.

Their Support is very fast (via email) and they really treat you like a human being (not a number). Sales Questions are a bit slower, but still OK. AIM support is just OK, its better to write an email then to wait for someone to be on because only 3 people use aim out of their crew of 60 people.

If you do go with AngelNetworkz please tell them that Neill or z280 refered you. I have emailed them for sales questions quite a few times and they know me (I think).

order your server with cpanel and you will have all what you need to run hosting with it (php,mysql,apache...etc) you will only need to secure your server.

well if you know how to run your server then the only down time you will have where will be the network. the last 1 month managed.com was up 100%

there is no solid answer for this it will depend totaly on what type of sites, there are sites that needs 3 or 4 servers and there there are sites that you can host 600 of them on 1 P4 server, you will need to look at your server CPU load and RAM.

you may visit this site for more info about managed server http://hostinglife.com

my advice to you as you ask such question taking risks with clients sites is not some thing to have fun with, so best thing for you is to take a reseller account and start your hosting that way.
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by Boost
    the last 1 month managed.com was up 100%.
    Thats news to me. And there was SiteUptime.com thinking it was 99.625%......
    Xcellweb.net - Quality Web Solutions That Work!
    █ Web Hosting | Web Servers | Shoutcast | Domain Names

Providing High Quality Web Solutions Since July 2002!
    AgilityHosting.net - UK & European cPanel Web Hosting

Hi,
    thanks for the help, Yes I am from the world of windows but i know almost everything about php apache, never used linux though. But yes i have people with me who will be able to handle the linux. by asking for root access my point was, I realised that a managed.com server has an EXIM 2.24 version and I realised that it an open lelay and any spammer can use it, so the poing is that will I be able to fix it with CPanel.
    I have used CP and WHM but ussure if there is something more to it that can alow me play with EXIM settings and other linux stuff. demonmoo figured it right that I have no king of linux as yet but I think i will start using it and then only sell the webspace to clients as boost said that Its not good to play with clients, I understand that and thats why I will be hosting my own websites for the first 3 months and a team of over 20 members who has some knowledge of linux will play with it.

As far as the sites content is concern I will be hosting a site will offer free email service ( like yahoo and all but with smtp pop ) , one MP3 website and one free webhosting website with PHP and Mysql. when i will feel that we have played enough with the server we will start selling the space. and the 1000s of sites I was talking about will not be over 10 MB each just dump websites.
    New question: do we have a CP other than the end user and WHM from where we control, reboot shutdown etc.?

Regards
    Jaunty

Not sure with Managed.com, but I do know that ThePlannet and Servermatrix offer Orbit, a thing that would do stuff like that for you. I believe for Managed.com you have to email them. Once again, I would strongly reccommend using a reseller of Managed.com that has their own staff at managed's datacenter because Managed.com support is only 9-5 weekdays.

HI,
    thanks yes I realised that thePlanet is very popular and as you say good too. But the prices differ and I can accept that I can't go for anything other than managed.com coz 120GB with 1000BG BW is great @ $90.
    Regards Jaunty

Originally posted by jaunty
    HI,
    thanks yes I realised that thePlanet is very popular and as you say good too. But the prices differ and I can accept that I can't go for anything other than managed.com coz 120GB with 1000BG BW is great @ $90.
    Regards Jaunty
    The price may be great, but how is the service? You get what you pay for. If they're selling the servers that cheaply, they must be & are cutting corners elsewhere. Remember, Managed.com's servers are not Managed, they're pretty much unmanaged (read on their site what they will & won't do). If you still want to go with Managed.com, I'd suggest going through a reseller who does management such as Angelnetworkz.net.

- Matt

Ive got the $90 Managed.com box - and *VERY* happy with it.

I will close my other ServerMatrix box, and Rackshack boxes at the end of their billing cycles and replace them with new Managed.com ones.

HI,
    there is no point in taking reseller programs, I want to growww what has to be done tomorrow lets do it today. And I cant launch the sites that I have planned for the rate that I am getting.
    Regards
    Jaunty

Look into Managed.com's support. True, its fine when there is no problems, but don't expect anyone to care for you in times of trouble. If your server gets a worm that 100 other clients have you will not get support like you want. (unless you want it to take 8 hours). Just something to think about. Its not about what we want, its about what you want. We (speaking for people posting here) just want you to have a good experience.

HI,
    yes you are right on that you are saying z280, but I don't think that after playing with it for over 3 months anything can be a trouble other than a hardware failure.
    Regards
    Jaunty

Ok, well as long as your satisfied. I dont want to be the big bad villan that says NO! Hey, if you think you will be happy, go with them. Some people have wonderful experiences with Managed.com, I hope you become one of them. Maybe in a few months you could tell us how it turned out. (and maybe improve Managed.com's record).

jaunty

go with managed.com i am with them for last 4 months and all are ok but let me tell you one thing.

save a bit go for a celeron box and once you are done with playing move to the $90 box.
    http://boostdomain.com
    Affordable unlimited domain reseller plans
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers