View Poll Results: For a one-word domain, what is better?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • .nu

0 0%
  • .ca

12 100.00%

Thread: .nu vS .ca

Question .nu vS .ca

Hi, a quick question/poll please.

I am torn between what domain to choose. The site will be based in Canada, but of course this is the internet we're talking about. The TLD's for my chosen domain are all taken, but I have the choice of .ca or .nu names. The .nu names have been springing up all over the place in the last couple of years like they were natural cousins to the .com names.

My question is simple:

What would grab your attention better/longer? A site.nu or a site.ca name. (it's a one-word domain)

Thanks in advance

I would say .nu is more of a long lost love child of .com rather then cousin

You're best off to go with the .ca as there seems to be a large amount of Canadians who are just catching on to the web. This is especially true in the east.

I say all this because I'm Canadian and in the east

The other day I mentioned .cc to someone here and they couldn't believe there "was another .com". Another thing I noticed is that a lot of them are having a hard time getting over the stupid whatever.nb.ca, whatever.on.ca, whatever.ns.ca, whatever.nf.ca, whatever.bc.ca, etc, etc, etc names that took over a large amount of web addresses a number of years ago. Staying with the .ca won't be such a hard strech for the more sheltered users I believe.

T

I think .ca is well known in Canada.. much more then .us in the United States. I have invested a few dollars in the .ca domains and there are some good ones out there as well.
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

Originally posted by SillyAlien
    Hi, a quick question/poll please.

I am torn between what domain to choose. The site will be based in Canada, but of course this is the internet we're talking about. The TLD's for my chosen domain are all taken, but I have the choice of .ca or .nu names. The .nu names have been springing up all over the place in the last couple of years like they were natural cousins to the .com names.

My question is simple:

What would grab your attention better/longer? A site.nu or a site.ca name. (it's a one-word domain)

Thanks in advance
    I honestly don't think a poll is necessary AT ALL! If you are based in Canada, use a .ca; of course, if you are targeting mostly a market outside Canada, go for a .com. I would prefer
    either site.ca or yoursite.com to whatever.nu.

Oh ... I actually once owned site.ca: sold!

Originally posted by dcmginc
    ... there seems to be a large amount of Canadians who are just catching on to the web. This is especially true in the east.

I say all this because I'm Canadian and in the east
    That is funny: you are like talking about some third world countries. LOL! By the way, I'm living at the centre (yes, centre) of the universe, a.k.a. Toronto.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Okay, I think I get the message.

Thanks for the input everyone. Great help.

yup.. the center of the universe. I'm in NB and it really does come across as a thrid world at times. I have 1 big customer in this part of the country. The rest are in Ontario or US.

To give you an idea of how bad it is.. I have this woman who wanted a domain name. She spent nearly 3 weeks trying to decide if she wanted to register it now or later. Finally, I got her to just get it now secure it. I spent 3 weeks and made a couple of bucks. The next step is hosting, she's been thinking about this now for well over a month and I just refuse to even chase her. At this point I hope she goes to someone else.

By the way... does it annoy you like it does me that people will say: "Toronto, Canada" instead of Toronto, ON? You say jokingly that it's the center of the universe.. but I really do think a lot of people treat it like it's a whole new Province

I agree with the others, just get the .ca TLD.

.nu? don't waste another brain cell thinking about it.

get the .ca.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance

.ca all the way EVEN if your website is not based in canada .ca is more famous
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

yup.. the center of the universe. I'm in NB and it really does come across as a thrid world at times. I have 1 big customer in this part of the country. The rest are in Ontario or US.

To give you an idea of how bad it is.. I have this woman who wanted a domain name. She spent nearly 3 weeks trying to decide if she wanted to register it now or later. Finally, I got her to just get it now secure it. I spent 3 weeks and made a couple of bucks. The next step is hosting, she's been thinking about this now for well over a month and I just refuse to even chase her. At this point I hope she goes to someone else.
    I share your "grief". I had that kind of experience too years back when I started off even in Toronto. Part of the reason is that you may be targeting too low of the market end. I later decide not to waste my time on that and spend it somewhere else (like buying and selling domain names ) instead.

By the way... does it annoy you like it does me that people will say: "Toronto, Canada" instead of Toronto, ON? You say jokingly that it's the center of the universe.. but I really do think a lot of people treat it like it's a whole new Province
    As a matter of fact, the previous mayor of Toronto actually talked about Toronto becoming a new province instead of staying in Ontario! And we do have examples of some special status cities (or metropolises) which have province-level administrative capacity in other parts of the world.

As for "Toronto, Canada", I guess that's another sad scenario that Canada is living more as part of North America than Canada. The truth is: provinces like Ontario and BC actually have closer tie (heavier trade) with their cousins in the U.S. than other Canadian provinces. When we as Canadian are chatting here on forums like WHT, people often assume everybody else is from the U.S.; and when you say "Toronto, ON", they will ask "what the heck is ON"? LOL! After all, Toronto is more famous than Ontario.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

since when is .nu well known?, I would reate it on about the same level as .dx

.dx? lol, even .nu is more known than .dx (if that's a real extension... i wont waste my time looking it up if it is).
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance

.dx ? lol

there is only 2 countries has X in their ccTLD
    .cx
    .mx

there is no .dx

http://www.iana.org/cctld/cctld-whois.htm#d
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi