can audio streaming cause load

Hi.
    I'm wondering can audio streaming cause significant load on server (or any load on the cpu) or does it affect the server in any way if say few sites were to be streaming audio through the server?

I've run a couple shoutcast servers with over 200 listeners each and it went without a hitch; it was a 400 mhz sparc box. Bandwidth is a much bigger concern then processing power IMO.
    Get your certificate of knowification autographed by REW!
    Visit rewdog.com for details.

Shoutcast utilize RAM, not much of CPU power. If I've not mistaken, its 0.5MB/user.

I would agree that bandwidth would be more of a concern.
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV

Hi thanks for the reply. Does the bandwidth show up in the WHM bandwidth stats? where you click on view bandwidth usage - that is the bandwidth used by shoutcast only. thank you

Originally posted by jackpot101
    Hi thanks for the reply. Does the bandwidth show up in the WHM bandwidth stats? where you click on view bandwidth usage - that is the bandwidth used by shoutcast only. thank you
    I'm not positive, but I doubt it. Shoutcast is usually run as a service off the server, not on any particular domain.
    Get your certificate of knowification autographed by REW!
    Visit rewdog.com for details.

Originally posted by UltraUnixNET
    If I've not mistaken, its 0.5MB/user. [/B]
    This is correct.

You need more than just a WHM account for shoutcast. But if youre talking about streaming audio in general, then yes it would show up there.

bandwidth

what kind of permissions does shoutcast need? can the shoutcast server be installed or symbolically linked from a user directory or chowned to a user so WHM can register the bandwidth?

Shoutcast utilize RAM, not much of CPU power. If I've not mistaken, its 0.5MB/user.

SHOUTcast uses around 14kB of ram per slot on a server. As for CPU usage, its next to none. However, SHOUTcast does use ALOT of bandwidth, something not alot of people have. If you have CPanel/WHM, Bandmin will log the bandwidth for the total server, including SHOUTcast.
    Christian Koehler
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting
    +1.866.5RACKED (ext. 802)

Re: bandwidth

Originally posted by SWHospital
    what kind of permissions does shoutcast need? can the shoutcast server be installed or symbolically linked from a user directory or chowned to a user so WHM can register the bandwidth?
    Speaking from experience, most SHOUTcast providers base their pricing on max concurrent listeners for each server vs bandwidth usage. There is a set price per listener for each bitrate, they take that amount and charge you monthly. The actual bandwidth usage is unmetered as long as it follows the plan you ordered. I played around with the idea of doing 95th percentile like billing with SHOUTcast and MRTG. Probably won't happen, but it was a really interesting idea and would draw alot of larger clients.
    Christian Koehler
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting
    +1.866.5RACKED (ext. 802)

Using the SHOUTcast DNAS server uses almost no CPU. Its resources usage is almost exclusively in RAM. However, if you have popular stations, you will see your log files start to swell to several megabytes per day. But, with any system administration, you should be trimming your log files.

Where do you find Shoutcast? I never heard of it...

Ask and ye shall recieve:

http://www.shoutcast.com/download/serve.phtml

As others have stated - watch the bandwidth. It's not incorporated in the WHM stats (bandmin, yes - but you generally need 'root' access to see that)
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002