RLimitMem|RLimitCPU|RLimitNPROC questions

I've read through the forums here and elsewhere, and I believe I get how to configure and use the RLimitMem/etc options, but I'm still unclear on a couple of things.

1) In the apache docs, and the forums here, I can't find a mention of what happens when the limits set are reached. Is some sort of error thrown by apache? 500 error? 400 error?

2) Do you get a different error depending on which limit was reached (mem, cpu, script)?

3) Based on the answers above, is there a way to redirect clients when one of the limits is reached? I guess if it throws something like a 500 error, that could be set to a specific page, but if it's not a standard HTTP error, what options are there?

Many thanks in advance.

I have a followup question as well.

I think I read in one of the other RLimit* threads that these parameters only work when the vhost is running under suexec. Is this true?

So, for instance, a vhost that is using mod_perl can't have RLimitMEM and RLimitCPU enforced?

London, UK
    would also like to know this

RLimit* limits are only added for things forked off the children -- CGIs, in other words. NPROC probably requires suexec, but the others are per-process, so it won't matter.

While the CGI could catch and handle errors from NPROC or Mem, generally it will just crash as soon as it hits any of them. Therefore, the output/execution will simply end. If no output was sent, it's a 500 error.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Thanks for the answers!