Thread: New

If you're looking for a DC in the los angeles area check out Alchemy.net, they're a data center with very competative rates.

we cant tell you, we dont know what kind of content u are running on the websites and how many visists etc etc

theres places that you can get 1000GB transfer for colo for $89-100 and its really good so why not be safe?

btw that 89-100$ colo is in the ny/nj area

It depends on what quality of bandwidth and service you want... Many providers that are providing 1000 GB of transfer @ 100$ / month are overselling a lot (or selling you low quality (read: CHEAP) bandwidth.

Originally posted by f0urtyfive
    It depends on what quality of bandwidth and service you want... Many providers that are providing 1000 GB of transfer @ 100$ / month are overselling a lot (or selling you low quality (read: CHEAP) bandwidth.
    And many providers that are providing ~ 100GB of transfer @ ~ 100$/month are selling you high quality bandwidth.

People need to start to understand the difference between overselling (not neccesarily bad, in reality a fact of doing business these days) and oversubscription/overcontention/congestion (bad, irresponsible)?
    Raj Dutt // CEO // Voxel dot Net Inc
    http://www.voxel.net // [email protected]

yes 100 GB, but he said 1000 GB... difference in 0's

lol, I was about to spazz, and sign up immeadiately. 1000gb woowzers!
    Benoît Brookens III
    President - Dataracks, Inc.
    Dataracks.net | Ultra-Reliable Hosting.™

Originally posted by f0urtyfive
    (read: has no idea what he is talking about)

the bandwidth is top quality and the speeds are there... i am a customer of ********** and they have offers right now in the offers forum for 1000gb for i think $89.99 or something, i even posted a pic of my speeds... so dont be bashin my host

Over a long term basis, it's simply impossible to sell quality Internet transit for roughly $18/Mb/sec. In many cases hardware (routers / switches, etc), engineering, support and administrative costs alone will exceed this number.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Although I do see the ad in the offers forum it somewhat dissapoints me... I was going to use ********** as a colo provider, but now I'm not sure... Offering bandwidth at 0.10$ a gb seems kinda iffy to me... When I contacted them, they quoted me at .60$ a gb... I'm just guessing that they are overselling a lot or buying a load of bandwidth, and even then it still worries.

forty... talk to them about it, call chris up x999 on their number, i dont know if they want me to give this out, but they are only offering those deals and prices because they are building up anticipation and want an established customer base for something new they are gonna doo... tlak to chris i dont wanna get in trouble

one thing to note about cheap colo vs cheap dedicated: you are sending them hardware. if your cheap dedicated server goes offline because the provider didnt pay their bills (serveroutsource anyone?), you are out of some clients, data etc. if your colo provider goes tits up, you are out your hardware, because their upstream sure as heck is going to blacklock them (provided they are not in a carrier neutral space). this is irrespective of the provider doing it.

as a matter of fact, ********** purchases bandwidth from and collocates with, choopa. choopa's *cost* on transit is higher than that.

i realize a lot of people are used to the budget dedicated server pricing, but the economics work differently with collocation. it is generally a Bad Idea (tm) to purchase something under the provider's cost (see nexgen) and the only provider hitting this kind of pricing is, afaik, Wiltel on multi-gig commits.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Originally posted by Tracert
    (read: has no idea what he is talking about)

the bandwidth is top quality and the speeds are there... i am a customer of ********** and they have offers right now in the offers forum for 1000gb for i think $89.99 or something, i even posted a pic of my speeds... so dont be bashin my host
    show us a pic of your speeds!
    Benoît Brookens III

uh hihi i said i posted a pic of it in that thead i should make u go find it

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/443/fast.JPG

then i would actually have to do work! who wants me to do that? is this supposed to be on a 100mbit port?
    Benoît Brookens III

of curse its on a 100mbps port since when can you you get those speeds at 10mbps??

If those values are Mbit/s, why wouldn't you be able to get that on a 10Mbit port? If they're in MegaBytes, you're gonna be way over your 1TB buddy.
    Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

it says MB not Mb... thats MEGABYTES not bits....