Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Australian Elections

Hello,
    To any Australians reading this, just wondering who you'd prefer as the Australian PM?

Regards,
    Justin

Latham
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Well I can't vote here but I have a home here. So I will say right now Latham looks to be the front runner, but who knows once he gets in what will happen.

Kind of scary to have one pary running it all.

Personally going for Howard, don't like Latham. John Howard's a really good PM IMO.

Regards,

When I left Oz Latham has just been elected opposition leader so never had a chance to see him in action. I do hope he gets Labor's act together though so you can get rid of Howard.

I still think Gareth Evans should have gone for the job a few years back.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Howard i'm afriad.......Latham looks / sounds like a smart*ss

Latham pretty much tells the public what they want to hear and doesn't make desecions based on the best interest of Australia. I really, really hate that.

Latham will probably get in, mainly because he's a populist politician, and we all know Howard will give up the job into his term, to Costello, if he were to win another term.

Don't underestimate Howard though, but I think he's come to the end of the road.

Watch the effect of the government abolishing ATSIC, and see how that divides the opposition. Latham is already wavering on it, and it could be the next "Tampa", for the government.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Kim Beasley!
    Luke
    oh yeah...

Originally posted by Justin.K
    Latham pretty much tells the public what they want to hear and doesn't make desecions based on the best interest of Australia. I really, really hate that.
    Yes, he's a populist politician, sprouting about trying to make the headlines, like he's got some magic fix it formulea, but IMO there's very little substance below the surface.

Latham will crack on the government abolishing ATSIC. He's damned if he supports the government's decision to scrap ATSIC, and he's damned if he doesn't. Howard has him in a corner on this issue. This will hurt Latham at the election, as most Aussies know ATSIC needed taking out back and shooting. Howard will use this issue to divide and conquer Latham, like he did with the "Tampa" issue.

Originally posted by Selpaw
    Kim Beasley!
    hehe. He's had 2 shots at the PM's job, and another shot at the ALP leadership. He lost them all. I think he's a good bloke, but he's been delegated to the back bench, and then to retire on his cushy superannuation package.

I don't really think the Australian public will vote for an up himself smartarse thug like Latham. We're smarter than that.
    Web Hosting since 1999

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Yes, he's a populist politician, sprouting about trying to make the headlines, like he's got some magic fix it formulea, but IMO there's very little substance below the surface.

Latham will crack on the government abolishing ATSIC. He's damned if he supports the government's decision to scrap ATSIC, and he's damned if he doesn't. Howard has him in a corner on this issue. This will hurt Latham at the election, as most Aussies know ATSIC needed taking out back and shooting. Howard will use this issue to divide and conquer Latham, like he did with the "Tampa" issue.
    Yeah I couldn't agree more mate. He's bad news and pretty much contridicts himself all the time. We're finally seeing how smart Howard really is.
    Polls seem to show Lathem is more popular, but agree with you Bob, Howards got him cornered.
    Interesting.

Regards,

Sheesh I must have missed a lot of politics while my TV was on the blink. I am not even sure who Latham is. But John Howard always tries some shifty tactic to get re-elected and if ATSIC is his trump card, he will play it to the full for sure.

I always put Labour and Liberal right at the very bottom for my preferences, when voting, so I'd say I don't particularly want either of the two (Howard or Latham) as PM.

I despise Howard, hate his methods, and disagree with his views; and Lathams a dumbass.

I really, really, don't want Latham as PM, but I guess I want Howard even less.

So you're happy to throw your vote away then?
    Web Hosting since 1999

Yawn.

Voting for Labour or Liberal would be throwing my vote away.

It's a shame you find my comments so boring, but I am interested in your position.

Are you really telling me that you'd rather vote for some nobody who has no chance of getting elected. Even if by some miracle they actually do get elected, what do you expect them to be able to acheive?
    Web Hosting since 1999

Anyone other than Howard. Gutless little lapdog that dragged us into this stupid mess - and yes I voted for him the last 2 times.

If I had to choose from the two, I'd choose Howard.

I don't like Latham. As Justin said, he tells the public what they want to hear. Incidentally, his electoral office is only a few km from here (another electorate though). My electorate is Liberal federally.

-Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

Howard - he's done a lot of good for this country.

Until someone raises The Apathy Party, I'll keep drawing the first cartoon character that comes to mind on election day. My wife keeps telling me I'm not having my say. I am. My say that I couldn't care less who was driving the bus in Caberra as long as I can food on the table. The nonsense that emanates from our "political arena" bores me to tears.

Gary

Originally posted by AussieHosts
    The nonsense that emanates from our "political arena" bores me to tears.
    That pretty much sums it up for me as well. Australian politics for me tends to seem a bit silly at best, and downright embarressing the rest of the time. When I left the Liberal Party was trying their best to alienate Australia from the rest of south-east asia while getting nowhere on free trade agreements with the US. The only shining light was the trade with China that was being discussed.

Not sure if anything big has happened down there lately though. Contrary to the politican view that Australia is a focus in the world, I've heard very little about Oz since I moved to the states. Of course the US tends to be pretty xenophobic when it comes to news from around the world that doesn't affect the US directly.

A little off-topic but it's always quite a suprise how little news of the 'outside world' filters through to 'John Q. Public' over here compared to what I'm used to - and that's with over half a dozen dedicated news channels to pick from on the TV.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by webarama
    So you're happy to throw your vote away then?
    Learn to accept it that we can vote for who ever we want.

If we want to draw a big smiley face on the vote ballet, or vote for an independent / minor political party then it’s our bloody right too!!!

Great thing about this country is we can do a citizens arrest on our own PM if we wanted to!!

Being an 'oldie' compared to most in this thread I will be voting from experience when I vote Liberal this year. I have always been a swinging voter, deciding who had the better platform to offer, and in no way can I see a guy like Latham do anything better for Australians than the Howard govt has done.

Who could ever forget the 18% interest rates of the Keating era - 55% excise on US imports under Whitlam - Big Kim/Cheryl Kernot's greasy plot to destroy the Democrats.

Labours' leaders are mere puppets for the bully boys in Caucus whereas Howard holds his ship together under relentless flak from Labour who generally do an about face eventually.

*get off soapbox - showers crowd with boiled lollies*
    HOSTPac Web Solutions
    Solid reliable Hosting - Lowest priced Domains - cPanel Multiple Domain Hosting
    Now offering space on Australian based servers!
    Put the Big Koala on your team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast