Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WorldCom bandwidth worth?

What's the most worldcom bandwidth is worth nowadays (on a 5-10 mbps commit), there's a super-nice ($75 million) wcom facility next door to us and we are considering it, $100 per mbps? or less?

Thanks

On that low of a commit (5-10Mbit), you'll probably pay well over $100 (if I had to guess). Pricing comes down significantly at higher levels. I don't think it's unheard of for UU to quote at or even below $30 per Mbit on gig-e level commits.

Best,

Raj Dutt
    Raj Dutt // CEO // Voxel dot Net Inc
    http://www.voxel.net // sales@voxel.net

For 1-5Mbit directly with Worldcom. It probably would be 600/mbps or so. Worldcom is still one of the strongest carrier out there.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

I think that's kind of high, we were paying $575/mbps on a 2mbps commit in 2001. I know even internap will do around $200/mbps on a 10mbps, I just want this in this facility for convenience

Originally posted by Mfjp
    For 1-5Mbit directly with Worldcom. It probably would be 600/mbps or so. Worldcom is still one of the strongest carrier out there.

1. Worldcom is gone. The company is now called MCI (again, sort of.)

2. If you colo in a WCOM/UUnet/MCI/Whatevertheycallthemself facility you will definately pay more. In a facility owned by a transit provider you have NO options and MCI knows this and will squeeze you for every penny they can. Be careful of hidden costs.

At 5-10Mbps you a too small to be of any real value to a large carrier like MCI.

Originally posted by Mfjp
    I really doubt it'd be that high. 5Mbit @ $600/Mbit is 3k. You can probably pick up at least 30Mbit 'direct' from 701 for that price.

Admittedly, UU is a very large network, but their pricing has come down tremendously.

I think your $600 guess would've been accurate a few years ago (99/00 maybe even 01) but this is 2004. Very few carriers are even _trying_ to sell at above $200 a meg, even on small commits.

Best,

Raj Dutt
    Raj Dutt // CEO // Voxel dot Net Inc
    http://www.voxel.net // sales@voxel.net

It actually depends on who you called up. I wouldn't be surprised if they give you 600/Mbps if you just cold called them up, tell them you're some kind of business needing colocation service in one of their facility somewhere in the US ground where the market is served by only 1 or 2 of the ILEC.
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

MCI

I used to work at the UUNET Ashburn, VA facility. Sold a lot of colo there at the data center on campus. You can get less than $100/ mg. for 10 megs. Probably around $80/ mg. For a Gig, somewhere around $50/ meg or less. Install is typically waived.

Mark Seemueller
    ASG Consulting
    www.associatedsalesgroup.com
    markseemueller@aol.com

For what it's worth... we use and Intelligent Router which measures the speed of the different providers and then manipulates the BGP tables to the fastest provider not just the shortest number of AS hops (BGP). Before we purchased the IR, we thought a large % of traffic would go MCI because they have the "largest" network.

Funny, a large percentage of traffic that would go MCI using standard BGP is switched to other providers because they perform better than MCI.

MCI is a nice provider to have in your network, especially for marketing but I don't see the value in the product for the higher price.
    Brad @ Xiolink
    XIOLINK. Your data...always within reach.®
    http://www.xiolink.com
    1-877-4-XIOLINK [+01 314 621 5500]

Brad,

Could it be your location that's making a difference?

Originally posted by Brad @ Xiolink
    MCI is a nice provider to have in your network, especially for marketing but I don't see the value in the product for the higher price.
    from their attempts to sell me transit, i can say that they are no longer at a large premium over other providers.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Originally posted by rusko
    from their attempts to sell me transit, i can say that they are no longer at a large premium over other providers.

paul
    They probably are trying to recap some market share.

They probably are trying to recap some market share.
    They did not loose much.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

So if I can get it at $80 a meg is that a good or bad deal?

In Chicago at FDC.

Pretty good deal, I know level3 is doing around $75 for 10bmps commit.

Originally posted by music
    So if I can get it at $80 a meg is that a good or bad deal?

In Chicago at FDC.

Definately a good deal at $80/meg on small commits if it's drop off from the carrier directly.

Nice price if its direct, but I would suspect it isnt.
    » ReliableServers.com
    » Dedicated Servers | Colocation | VPS
    » 973-849-0535

I agree with Dragoon's comment, and know customers in MCI. They are limited to suppling you one source of bandwidth, then route it through other providers to get better latency. Once they have you look out for hidden costs and additional costs in 6 months.
    Worldcomm/UUNET/MCI out with the old...

tony@co-location.com

Originally posted by wholesaleip
    I agree with Dragoon's comment, and know customers in MCI. They are limited to suppling you one source of bandwidth, then route it through other providers to get better latency. Once they have you look out for hidden costs and additional costs in 6 months.
    What are you talking about? MCI is transit-free. They don't route it through other providers to get better latency, they route traffic to destination networks who are their customers or peers.

I don't think you've got the slightest idea what you're talking about with regard to inter-domain IP routing.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

tony@co-location.com
    i had a *much* better opinion of co-location.com prior to this.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Interesting....
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

quoting past customer experiance...

quoting past customer experiance...
    Your customers' experienced AS 701 routing egress traffic to peers instead of customers? Clearly you do not understand what you've said, as customer routes are always, by everyone, preferred over peer routes unless special arrangements have been made (such as BGP advertisements with communities lowering local-preference.)

You seem to be well outside your area of expertiese.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

AS701 is the King of Bandwidth. They peer with everybody, they don't need to route it to any other carrier.

So can anyone recommend a good MCI rep or MCI reseller that can deliver 15 MB at a great price to Equinix?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast