Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for hosts for $1/month

Can anyone recommend me a host for about $1/month? How much webspcae do I get for this price?

as much as people are dumb enough to sell to you at that price. I wouldn't expect decent service to come with it.
    Last edited by cywkevin; 04-19-2004 at 06:21 PM.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

$1 and expect nothing but trouble. its amazing people sell that cheap, because a profit margin even if people do signup would be so damn tight.
    Richard Kelly
    Host Current
    www.hostcurrent.com

Remember you get what you pay for.

http://www.preteenhost.com/ may be able to help you out

Simon

Re: Looking for hosts for $1/month

Originally posted by wsdepot-user
    Can anyone recommend me a host for about $1/month? How much webspcae do I get for this price?
    if the site is only worth $1.00 a month, then why bother with it?
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Re: Looking for hosts for $1/month

Originally posted by wsdepot-user
    I'd recommend simply going with a free hosting service that has been around for many years. Chances are they will be much more reliable than a hosting service at such a low price.

http://www.fortunecity.com/free-web-hosting.shtml
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

1.00? That's rediculous. Go with a FREE host, you'll be much better off. Just have your domain redirect to your free account.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

and domain included in that price, right?

Originally posted by [HC]Rick
    its amazing people sell that cheap, because a profit margin even if people do signup would be so damn tight.
    Profit margin?

out 28-30 days thats all you can find?

you can get very good plans for $5 a month

who can;t do that?
    - Steve D
    SERVBoston: Hosting since 2003
    Shared, Reseller, VPS.
    Top Notch Support from a veteran hosting company!

Would you be prepaired to pay annually? There are some hosts which will provide you with what you need.

Here's one I use, $10/yr:

http://www.discount-hosting.com/

There are no options, no technical support and almost no downtime.
    You'll get fewer complaints from over performing than from over promising.

i used ripplehost, $9.95 a site, for the year. just be careful with the signup process . i got billed twice for the year by accidently going through it twice.

so far no downtime (none that i know of anyway)....support..its probably not there but whatever,i never use support anyway.

if i have a question , i look it up on google or here or wherever

< "kidding" removed >

(To the mods: i'm just kidding)

I think you should look for free hosting from somewhere like fortunecity or hostrocket. Or you can pay a little bit more and get some quality hosting services. As the motto goes, your site is worth what you pay. If you think your site is worth $1 per month, that's fine. But if it is worth that much, as someone else said, why bother?
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 04-19-2004 at 11:26 PM.

I believe that www.myonehost.com have a starter account for a few dollars per month. I'm with them at the moemnt and they have live help, you can get someone most times (usually), so far it seems ok, although their is no documentation with their admin panel and for newbies like me this is not satisfactory, but there is nothing negative written about them and everything seems alright. But I personally would agree with the other guys regarding price, I'm actively looking for a higher quality provider even though these guys seem alright so far, I can't believe I can get such cheap hosting without some kind of catch in the future

http://www.onedollarhost.net/index.asp

$1 a month as you requested : ) don't know how good they are, probably get what you pay for.
    Last edited by bobobro; 04-20-2004 at 02:13 AM.

lol thats too good to be true
    unlimited space and bandwith

As someone suggested above -- ripplehost.com would meet your needs -- which is owned by splashhost (who also posted above)

Another close contender is e-rice.net 150Mb/3Gb Bandwidth for $15/yr

Hosting is just soooo incredibly cheap nowadays. How can anybody make aprofit charging $1 per month? Just one query per month would cancel out any profits surely.

I would'nt want even the hastle for offering a $1 service per month, as so many have siad you may as well offer free, at least if someone has not paid they are not going to be able to demand anything.

I cna't see how people stay in business at that price? Anybody have any idea how these guys stay in business????

Anybody have any idea how these guys stay in business????
    I know some of them . And the only way to stay in business is customer's care nevermind whether they pay $0.99/month or $9.99/month. When you treat your clients - they will be satisfied and recommend your host to their friends and so on.

Originally posted by HQHost
    I know some of them . And the only way to stay in business is customer's care nevermind whether they pay $0.99/month or $9.99/month. When you treat your clients - they will be satisfied and recommend your host to their friends and so on.
    And of course, colossal overselling.

Minus transaction fee's, you're looking at taking around 30-40 cents from that one dollar, IF you're lucky.

Now, convert that 30-40 cents into anything that isn't overselling of the grandest nature, and you're looking at running at a major loss, possibly a loss-leader for some companies, but a loss all the same.

However, if someone only value's their website at halkf the price of a cup of coffee, then maybe they won't mind all the overselling, overstocking, etc.

Simon

Re: Re: Looking for hosts for $1/month

Originally posted by schmeg007
    I'd recommend simply going with a free hosting service that has been around for many years. Chances are they will be much more reliable than a hosting service at such a low price.

http://www.fortunecity.com/free-web-hosting.shtml
    You call FortuneCity Reliable? Ouch. I used to work for them. FC used to have a vision, then that vision went away ( not certain why ). But when it did, those that didnt get fired or laid off, or down-sized or locked out, or however you wish to word it, ran for their dear lives.

They got rid of everything and anything that made FC a beautiful Cyber Community. Just My Opinion As An Ex-Minister Of The FC Business Park Community.

As Simon pointed out, they are practically operating at a loss, I cannot see it is possible to sustain any business in that way, even if they got it free, it is just not possible to make a profit for a dollar per month, not even possible to run "at cost" I can't imagine.

So presumably the majority of these guys will either
    a: put up the prices onces they get enough customers
    b: go bankrupt

Its no accident that the most reliable nad largest service providers don't have anything like those low prices.

Tanuk, you are completely incorrect. RippleHost makes a healthy profit every month, its just as reliable and fast as any other host and we are certainly not going to go bankrupt.

The only difference is that tech support is via forums only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast