View Poll Results: Should WHT Ban known proven Scam Artisits

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, most certainly, I feel comfortable dealing with a business that I have found here.

17 53.13%
  • No, WHT is not a watchdog, buyer beware.

12 37.50%
  • I don't care either way

3 9.38%

Banning of Known Scam Artists

WHT has a great reputation and is an excellent reference area.
    I do not post but have learned a wealth of information from members that contribute excellent information here.
    But.... yes that hugh 3 letter word...
    I feel that WHT should use greater discretion when there are known scam artists reinventing and promoting themselves on these boards. I don't want to make the presumption that WHT is gaining something financially through a membership fee or such, I simply do not know if that is a fact.
    I do feel that with the fine reputation of WHT , they would look to uphold that reputation by not allowing known scam artists to continue to scam new customers right here, again and again.
    Thanks
    Last edited by deegoofy; 04-19-2004 at 06:09 PM.

Define scammer? Is it the guy that rips somebody off?

Is it the teenie host that pretends to be a real web host (and as a juvenile is not usually bound much by contract law)?

The teenie host promising something they cannot deliver, but still getting suckers to pay them? Oops, mommy took computer access away? Oops, a 15 year old promising to host your stuff for 2 years, but no recourse when he discovers life and girls?

Or is it the huge host spamming people, not transferring their domain names etc...?

Or is it the fool that ripped me off on a vB license?

See, you need to define scammer. To me, more that a couple of the above are scammers IMHO.
    Glenn
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

If they have been processed by the legal system, and have paid their debt to society, then they should be allowed to come here. If they have been proven to scam people, and haven't been convicted, then they should be banned.

If they've been proven to scam our members, they're banned.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Re: Banning of Known Scam Artists

Originally posted by deegoofy
    I feel that WHT should use greater discretion when there are known scam artists reinventing and promoting themselves on these boards.
    If you are aware, in your observations, of known scams/scammers then please help us to help the community by submitting your suspicions to http://www.webhostingtalk.com/helpdesk/

We do what we can to protect the community, but feedback from members is also needed. We have made great inroads into preventing return members coming back "unnoticed", have rules in place for license exchanges, template sales (must include a sample URL) and a few other things. If people still go ahead and purchase things (for example a vBulettin license transfer, without getting the mods to give the go ahead), then it comes down to buyer beware.

The WHT staff does a great job.

Hardly a day goes by that I don't run across an "account terminated" description under a user name. This is very reassuring, and shows they are constantly on their toes, and weeding out the population.

Also, I was recently the victim of a 'unique' template rip, and their response was quick and complete.

They can't be everywhere at once, but they do a damn fine job.

I've never ran into any problems from transactions on WHT. Most people I meet are nice, friendly and good to deal with.

Originally posted by +HiGh^
    I've never ran into any problems from transactions on WHT. Most people I meet are nice, friendly and good to deal with.
    In 2 months? That is good.
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Really surprised more people do not have an opinion on this topic.

Sigh I don't think I reported any posts today. Usually I report 3 or so daily.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

I would say yes to both of the first two options. Although I do feel comfortable with buying from hosts whose appearance and reputation on WHT is professional, I don't think that WHT needs to be a watchdog: buyer beware. We have too many members to act as a watchdog.

What are girls? What is a life?

Crazy talk I tell you....

Reporting scam posts(if you see them) also help us out. If you feel someone might be trying to scam users, and isn't a previous scammer, report it, and we look into it.

Don't be afraid to report a post... We wont bite your head off, well... Maybe anon-e-mouse will, but the rest of us wont...
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever

Personally people can change, it is just highly unlikely to ever happen.

If a person was a scamer and then finally finds something to not make him or her, then I would welcome them to try again.

It is like giving someone enough rope to hang them self. But then again why should we even bother with them?

Sheps, Anon-e-Mouse doesen't bite off your head, but insted goes for the toes :p

It's not WHT's job to ban scammers as it were, however this is something that the moderators have done in the past.

The problem comes down to this, as was described before. define scammer. Now some would say that I'M a scammer, even though I run an honest business, provide customers with 110% of what they ask for and what they pay for. In fact, I generally go waaaay out of my way to help customers out, but I've been accused of being a "scammer" before.

The question is who is WHT to decide what is, and what isn't a scam? And how are they going to operate on that decision? I'd for one hope that they investigated such issues (which involves actively communicating with BOTH parties, not just one), but past response with moderators tells me that this isn't the case.

All in all, I think it's more of the community's responsibility to flush out the scams by asking intelligent, informed questions, or posting unbiased facts. Unfortunately, any more you can't do that here, because then you get your post deleted for 'attacking' someone else's thread.

Anywhere you go with a community environment, you're going to have scams. It's a very sad thing, really, because it makes it harder to actually run any type of business, due to individuals being burned in the past, trust issues and the like. Of course, the flip side of that is that anywhere you go individuals will quickly rush out and say "XXX host scammed me!!!", and, the sad part is that most will side with the perceived 'victim' rather than obtain both sides of every story.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

wolfstream, I would have to agree with you. it is just like who owns the right to the internet or content on it. Similar, but who technically has the right to say they have the power to decied?