View Poll Results: computer or photoshop

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • new computer

13 72.22%
  • photoshop

5 27.78%

photoshop or new computer

hi man this is hard sould I get photoshop or a new computer tell me what you think.

Depends on what kind of computer you have now.. Which is also an issue on how photoshop will perform on your current computer..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

Well it really depends on which one you need to most.

new computer, and learn how to use the gimp, it's like photoshop, but it's open source, and completely free

http://gimp.org

Originally posted by ub3r
    new computer, and learn how to use the gimp, it's like photoshop, but it's open source, and completely free

http://gimp.org
    Can it make templates?

Can it make templates?
    I'm not completely sure, because i don't have it available to me on this partition of my system. But, i believe it can. If not, you can just create each graphic, and then write up an html page that uses those graphics.

To be honest, I don't like The Gimp NEARLY as much as I like Photoshop.

To answer your question: Depends on what PC you have now. If it's too old to do anything, by all means upgrade. If not, stay and get photoshop. IMHO, you should get a new PC, save up a bit, and then buy an older version of PS (6 or 7, rather than waste extra money for 8, which I don't see a huge improvement in). I don't know about you, but Photoshop is available at an education discount if you are still in College or HS.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

I love linux (i think there is a windows release) but i hate the gimp, nice name but never will compete with photoshop.

It really depends on your current setup, like most other users have asked what are your current specs? if they are not too bad ( i have designed on a p1 133mgz, 32 mb ram and 2 mb video).

But dont take my word for it im sure gimp will be able to perform what photoshop can. I think its just a personal thing.

Regards,
    Eddy
    Tired of jumping web hosting providers? Tired of OVERSELLING? Tired of Poor service/quality?
    Are you Finally realizing You Get What You Pay For In Life?
    If So...Please Visit ***** eServicesUnlimited***** - We Guarantee 100% Satisfaction we promise that!

No point in getting Photoshop if your old computer can't run it if you're good enough I could hire you and give you one of our licenses lol
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

I'd go for photoshop if you're a good designer. Then you can make a template for a customer and buy a new comp with that money. Win Win Situation. If your current comp can't run photoshop then I suggest buying a new comp. Don't get the gimp though.

Will you be able to make money from your work in Photoshop? If so, go that route first to finance the computer purchase.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Take a junior college class and you can legally get Photoshop for under 30 bucks. You then use the extra money to buy that brand spankin new computer.
    Alvin

You can also (Through Amazon?) get Photoshop for $300->$500 new as long as you don't use it for profit.

Does anyone else think it is ridiculous that Photoshop costs $500-800?!?

I wonder if Adobe realizes they could completely wipe out the pirate market by simply charging $50-80 instead? Who wouldn't pay that for software as awesome as Photoshop?

I was discussing this the other day with friends, and we decided that Photoshop should be priced by output resolution:

-if grandma only wants to touch up digisnaps of the grandkids to email around, give her a 640x480 license for $25

-if I need Photoshop to do web sites with, charge me $75 for the 1024x768 version

-if Wired Magazine uses it to do 1800dpi, 100 Megabyte filesize comps, sell them the hi-res license for $2000

Easy and Fair. Everybody is happy. Grandma isn't paying for a Ferrari when all she wants is a Toyota Echo.

PS. Dear Adobe, Please PM me for the address to send my checks to!

It depends.

What are your current computer specs?

Who wouldn't pay that for software as awesome as Photoshop?
    most people

They make it high because the companies will pay the high price and it is easy to go after them if they pirate. going after people is expensive and if they did charge really low then people would still pirate, but they would be getting 1/5 of what they get now from businesses/corporations.
    Alvin

Bah, if you need photoshop then you can make the purchace price back in a single job. If you're not going the sort of work where you're making real money then you should probably stick with Paint Shop Pro (or Windows Paint. )

Short of print work a slightly lower end computer will run Photoshop just fine when building for the web (92-100 dpi).

Go for photoshop, get comfortable with it, then upgrade the comp when you're getting a steady income from the design work.

I've been thinking about it now it finally does text on a path. Hard to justify the cost to the wife though, now I don't do a lot of design work.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Windows Paint: ew.

Actually I have a buddy who once drew out Mr Burns on drugs in that one episode of Simpsons where Homer claimed it was an alien..

It doesnt look that bad.. (Considering it was made in paint)

Let me upload it.

here we go: http://upload.joshiee.net/burns.bmp - I know i'd never be able to do that in paint. ( probably because I wouldn't bother spending the time to)

Enjoy.
    josh