hostmysite vs uplinkearth

hey guys,

I've narrowed my serach for a new host down to these 2 companies. I wanted to get some feedback and opinions on both before I made my decision.

My main concern is speed and reliability.

I'm with a $5 a month host currently but, it's unreliable. Hostmysite and uplinkearth can give me all the same features but they charge about $25 a month.

What am I getting for the extra cash? I hope it's reliability.

Thanks very much for your input,

artane

Oh, and I'm willing to hear of any other hosts you may recommend.

HostMySite Customer

Well, I know nothing about the other company, but I've been a customer of HostMySite for over a year now. I have two websites currently hosted with them and I have no complaints. What I like most is that when I call customer support I don't have to sit on hold forever. As a matter of fact, I rarely sit on hold at all. The staff there seems very knowledgeable and very eager to help in any way possible.

Hope that helped!

-Barry

What kind of spec are you looking for?

hey barry, what about uptime? How often are your sites "down"?

Corey

With $25/month you open yourself up to many more options. Have you actually talked to these two sites directly? or have you been going just by features?

just features. I need windows, asp, .net, about 300 meg, ssl, access database support and ms sql server support.

My main concern is speed and reliability. I CANNOT have my site going down. Once or twice a month for a few minutes is acceptable but no more than that.

Well you will probably find some hosts on this board. I would suggest asking specific questions of the host and seeing if you like their answers. Of course getting recommendations from others is good but its also important to talk directly with the company. See how/if they respond, there speed to respond, etc.

I have used UplinkEarth. The uptime has been pretty decent for me. But I think you will get nickled and dimed to death with your MS Sql access that you may need depending on the size of your DB.

I would not reccomend UplinkEarth given your requirements however I do highly reccomend utilizing Matrix Reseller. They run abour $10 more then you want to spend a month however your gonna get alot of bang for the buck. As far as uptime they supposedly have not had any downtime since they switched backbone providers and that was last November. I have been with them since January and have not caught them down.

thanks comfixit, I appreciate the advice,

artane

by the way, what is Matrix Reseller?

MatrixReseller is http://www.matrixreseller.com a Vortech company for resale accounts. The support is excellent. The reviews for them have been mixed, but I have nothing but good things to say about them.

I'll give you a quick example. I like to host Cold Fusion sites. That is not their primary focus. So they had the debugging output set to minimal. I called them up at 1:30AM in the morning there time and asked them to turn on the full debugging output and they made the change to the server while I was on the phone. If I had tried to ask for a server change with a company like Interland, I could forget about it.

thanks comfixit, I'm gonna look into this.

artane

I have not had any problems with downtime. However, I don't sit and monitor that 24 hours a day either. So I can't say they never have downtime cause I'm not certain. I know they have recently purchased a lot of new hardware to keep up with their ever increasing customer base.

My only complaint is that they do not seem to have any email virus detection on the server end.

-Barry

Uplinkearth works great for me

I've had nothing but success with uplinkearth. In terms of uptime, well, I work for a Application Service Provider and let me tell you, having service level agreements is always tough (especially when you are talking about 99.8% upltime guarantees).

At one point, I ran a little comparison between my companies hosting provider and our servers hosted there, and my site hosted on uplinkearth's using what's up gold. I had it do minute pings...guess who actually had higher stats...uplinkearth.

So, 25 bucks will get you a long way with them...