Exclamation The Next Level...

Hey guys - just me again. Okay basically heres the situation: i've been through serverl stages in the hosting business. Small reseller, medium and now have a large reseller. I now feel confident enough that i have enough customers and hopefully enough finacial backing to take it to the next level; i'm wondering now is that getting my own dedicated server? [Wouldn't be doing anything till July time]

Been speaking to a friend and he reccomends servermatirx.com - he reccomends the Super Celeron 2.4 - what do you guys think to this?

Many Thanks

Anjam

I like Servermatrix but not the idea of a Celeron. Not sure what the Super part of it means though.

I would recommend a P4 or Xeon. If you are wanting to take it to the next level.

Also... you might want to look in to going colo which might be a great option if you have some cash behind you to buy a decent server out right.
    -- Matthew

I've never heard of them until now, and after a little research I've found out they're a division of theplanet.com, in which case.. yes.. a very good company to deal with. Since you're already somewhat established and have an income, I'd suggest something around the area of "Super Server 2.8", although that Dual Xeon 2.4 with 400GB HD and 1500GB bandwidth is looking pretty damn nice ;P mmm... I need some new servers.
    Webmaster Forum webmastertalk.net Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools domainfocus.com Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

depends how much you want to spend and what sort of sites you host, I would go for the super server 2.8 if you already have quite a few customers (you say you are on a large reseller)
    Celerons are ok for standard html sites with a small amount of database stuff, we use them but then we use a Dual Xeon for a lot of our sites plus a very busy forum because it kills every other type of server lol

You're next stage is a fully managed server.

Obviously you need to have the logistics in place to support this; administration, monitoring; staffing and a sensible business plan as you grow and add more servers to the mix.

I personally wouldn't feel that the level of management offered by servermatrix is sufficient for a straight jump from a reseller plan, so you have the option of hiring a dedicated system admin, hiring an external company to do this or choosing a company who fully manages the server and lets you deal with areas you are stronger in. That is, of course, assuming you are not a system administrator.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Well im good at selling, support and running it day to day. But to be honest im not to clued up in terms of managing the server itself and as you mentioned would most likely be looking to higher a dedicated system admin. So Servermatrix.com offer this service or would i be best finding someone in the Employment Forums?

That would be best. Having a smooth running server is great! and you need a good admin to make that happen.
    -- Matthew

So what kind of price would i be looking at for a server admin and can anyone reccomend anyone?

If you choose that route, I'd go with an estabilished company who offer this who you can rely on. As you'll have a close business relationship with them, you need someone who is reliable all the time.

http://www.wemanageservers.com is an option, however, as I have not used them I am unable to offer you a postive or negative review on them.

Right okay, but does anyone know if servermatrix.com offer the management side of things or any companies who offer it as one of there extras. I would prefer paying a little more than outsourcing it if possible.

http://www.servermatrix.com/managed_services.html - Titanium Level - you get 3hrs worth of service. This is surely not enough is it?

Like it was said, I don't think ServerMatrix will offer the required management. I suggest you contact ServInt.net to get a quote for a fully managed server.

Don't forget to tell them you want full management with pro-active support.

You should opt for a management service that will offer you as many hours as you need to resolve any problems. A lower-end, whitebox supplier such as SM doesn't fit into this category.

Originally posted by voxtreme-matt
    You should opt for a management service that will offer you as many hours as you need to resolve any problems. A lower-end, whitebox supplier such as SM doesn't fit into this category.
    Okay - any reccomendations - anyone?

http://www.pcs-net.com/servers.htm - what do you think to these prices and servers?

Originally posted by anjam
    Okay - any reccomendations - anyone?
    Check out ServInt server specials. They will take care of the server for you while you grow your business. They have been in business for 9 years and I have used them for quite a while now. Stable network and their support is always available.

ServInt is a great step to go to from a Reseller account. You would need at least the Platinum Support package at ServerMatrix to get close to ServInt's level of *managed*. The added bonus is that ServInt doesn't appear to count hours for server administration.

I have several fully managed servers with voxtreme. They can be a bit expensive but then you are paying for the quality of the service. Very well respected company on the Internet and many here would agree with me on this..