Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Linux Versus Windows

I am setting up a small IT company in the UK, I am not an IT expert and will rely on expert staff to actually do the nuts and bolts of the work.

One question that keeps comming to mind is the Linux Versus Windows.

Some of the programmers are saying they are not able to work on Linux but they are happy to work with Windows? Is there really such a big difference between the two technologies?

Linux of course is hugely more inexpensive but even so, is their such a big difference in skill level required?

Without exception I've been told that Windows is more flexible than Linux. Any opinions or comments?

Really, it usually comes down to whether there's a specific need for one or the other.

If you have software requirements based on Windows, then you need Windows, and vice versa for *nix servers.

I would have thought that Linux is actually the most flexible server environment to work with over Windows - but if your techies say they need to use Windows then I think the decision is made for you.

Are you asking this question to determine whether your IT company should support Windows or Linux?

Broadly speaking I'm trying to just learn enough so that I am able to understand the concepts and how much more difficult one is than the other.

For software and an internal network use windows server 2003 or win2k for a webserver however I would use linux

I have always determined what OS to use based on what functions I am needing the machine to do or the expertise of those around me. More specifically, if I am setting up an accounting system, there is much more options and support for Windows software. Like markjut said, for webhosting, Linux is becoming the preferred choice among many. I recently came across a company that was perfect for the project I had. Although hosting on Linux would have been less expensive, they were experts in .NET. So I had to go with a Microsoft platform for that project.

Hi!

I would personally use Linux because it tends to be more reliable than windows and plus you can keep the plans cheaper because linux is less expensive.

The only benefit to using windows is that it has some features that some people may like to use, however the same is true for linux.

So I say: Go with Linux!

However, since your staff say they can work on windows better, it makes the decision a little bit more complex, and it wouldn't hurt for there to be another windows web host out there.

-Patrick

Either will do the job, what's important is what your admin staff can work with. There's no point putting in Linux servers if they can't run them efficiently and securely and visa versa for Windows.

Find the people first then let them use the skills they bring, don't get hung up on a particular platform.
    Invectis - Windows 2000, 2003 and MS SQL Server web hosting

Linux is going to save you alot of money, but you're going to have to learn how to use the command line.

Command line isn't that hard, if i can learn it, anybody can.

Lots of good help guides out there on Linux.

Originally posted by iblive
    I have always determined what OS to use based on what functions I am needing the machine to do or the expertise of those around me. More specifically, if I am setting up an accounting system
    Hi Iblive, as you say that is my situation as well, as I in the course of my business operations I shall be 100% reliant upon other skill sets I am limited to what skill sets are around me.

Predominantly we will be building websites for corporate medium sized entities to small businesses and other internet services. It does seem the general consensus amongst technical individuals is that Windows is favored *even* when they have dual abilities.

Originally posted by invectis
    Either will do the job, what's important is what your admin staff can work with. There's no point putting in Linux servers if they can't run them efficiently and securely and visa versa for Windows.

Find the people first then let them use the skills they bring, don't get hung up on a particular platform.

I think that is the policy I shall have to adopt, although the more I find out about linux the more free open source software seems to be around. How that compares to proprietary windows software is a different matter

Thanks for the advice invectis

If you go to the High Street and walk in any book store with a computer section, you can sit for hours and learn on each product.

Linux is NOT more reliable than windows... just make sure you install Windows 2003... and update every time it is needed.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I would think that both of them are not 100% secure. There is a need for proactive patching and monitoring. As for windows, the outstanding point is that the support is faster and professional is standby to help of course $.

IMO, Linux is more stable than Windows and is perfect for webservers

Interesting point regarding linux *not* being more reliable than windows. Why is it commonly stated that this is the case?
    In my position I need to know just enough information needed in order to make executive decisions, I can easily get bogged down in too much knowledge and try to go too deep into issues. Especially where technology is concerned.

Books can be very useful but it is important to be able to find the right information when needed.

IMO, Linux is more stable than Windows and is perfect for webservers
    Not true at all. We have many Windows web servers that have been more stable that other Linux web servers.

Bottom line, it's about knowing how to use and secure it. I have said this time and time again, the OS is only as good as the admin.

Why do people say Linux is more stable than Windows? Here are my guesses.
    1. Because people know how to point and click and use Windows 2000, they think they are a Windows server "admin". Not true at all.
    2. MS releases a few hot fixes/security updates a month. You have to keep up with them to keep the server secure.

Hope that helps!
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

I dun think Linux is free while Windows is super expensive. A lot boils down to what you are running. Initially Linux and associated software is free, but as and when you grow u will find that u need to customised more and more. Cost of this must be compared to cost of Microsoft. There is no 100% which is cheaper or better , it depends a lot on what u need , how you expect to grow.

In *general*, most people seem to say that linux is definitely more stable. I don't know why, this is not to do with being less vulnerable to virus attack, the simple explanation that it is not so vulnerable to virus attack is that it is not such a *target* as windows. My understanding is that it is more stable from a general user point of view.

I think the proof of the pudding is here in my own sad *windows 98* system, that every day I have to reboot it at least once, whereas if it was a linux system it would not need to be rebooted.

In fact windows operating systems naturally deteriorate and destruct do they not? Perhaps we can get some more expert input from any of the techies on this forum?

I think the proof of the pudding is here in my own sad *windows 98* system, that every day I have to reboot it at least once
    Comparing 98 to Windows server is like comparing an Yugo to a Porche. It' s apples and oranges!

Suggestion, move to at least Windows 2000 pro. You will only need to reboot a couple of times per year!
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

I know I know, but as I am not doing the designing I don't need to run the high memory demand graphics software and so as I still have a pentium 2 computer ( no sniggers please at the back!!) the windows 98 does me fine, in fact did you know that the biggest number of users in the world still use Windows 98 SE *I think* no doubt someone will come and tell me I'm wrong

My brother is supposed to be sending me his old copy of windows 2000 though so I hope that it will work ok on a pentium 2, pc.

Most people tend to stick with that which is comfortable to them. My entire business is run on Unix-like systems. The servers are running Linux and FreeBSD and I am personally running FreeBSD as my laptop OS.

Frank
    AtlantaWebHost.com, a service of Rietta Solutions
    Web Site & Development Hosting, Dedicated, Colocation, DNS, Atlanta-area T1 for Voice & Data

For some reason I have always preferred using linux, I think it's a much better platform along with better tools.

Re: Linux Versus Windows

Originally posted by Tanuk
    I am setting up a small IT company in the UK, I am not an IT expert and will rely on expert staff to actually do the nuts and bolts of the work.

One question that keeps comming to mind is the Linux Versus Windows.

............. edited for length

Check this site out. I think it offers up some good info on either OS. Not to start a "vs" war, I just thought he might get some advice out of it

http://kirch.net/unix-nt/

Regards,
    Deffy

Oh no, not at all, nobody is talking about a *war* But in fact it is quite a serious issue.

I am deeply fascinated by the potential of open source freeware.

Just check out the costs of My SQL database compared to the costs of MS SQL, now I do not know how to program either, but I know how to analyze the cost and do a comparison of what the actual job of each can produce in temrs of meeting a customers requirements and I would assume the cost of MS SQL is alot more ?

In fact this entire debate about linux versus windows is talked about every week in all the top IT periodicals in the world Very important topic me thinks. Thanks for the link.

I'm absolutely certain of the cost differential, this is prooven beyond any doubt in the market prices of windows versus linux.

My consenus so far is the following

1. Linux is *probably* more stable but not necessarily
    2. Linux is *definitely* more inexpensive.
    3. Linux requires a higher skill level in order to utilise the technology.

I appreciate any feedback, of course these are my own general feelings from observations and remember I'm not an expert so I am still *learning*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast